Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54523 times)

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Design Phase
« Reply #765 on: August 15, 2018, 02:37:18 pm »

Seeing as we are working on making a new fighter soon I think we should put at least one die now to start work electric sync gears.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 15, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »

@GM: Is it this council meeting that we can try to increase our status from auxiliary corps?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 15, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it is, and I'm equally sure it's too soon for that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 15, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »

Question.
What do you think about developing big transport aircraft? You could use it to resupply army, mayby paratroops, basic transport.
If possible, make civilian variant to make money and make planes overall more popular.
Not anytime soon, of course, metal planes at minimum, 2 engine experience also would be needed, itp...

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:05 pm »

@GM: Is it this council meeting that we can try to increase our status from auxiliary corps?

Yes it is! Although you might have to promise a bunch of stuff to get the army and navy to support your bid for promotion.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 15, 2018, 08:12:55 pm »

Yes it is! Although you might have to promise a bunch of stuff to get the army and navy to support your bid for promotion.
Eyyyy!

Let's promise all the things.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 18, 2018, 02:09:46 pm »

Kolechian Armed Forces Council Negotiations, Round 1

Kolechia’s annual Armed Forces Council is taking place over several days in the Republican Halls, an old sprawling monarchical-era palace refurbished to serve as the city hall for the capital city. The council is an opportunity for the Army and the Navy to jockey for funding and prestige, the former of which is jointly controlled by the Minster for War, Ludwik Mazur and the Minister for Industrial Revolutions, Kacper Kowalczyk. While the Halls have many rooms spread across seven wings, the KPAF design team has somehow been assigned to the tiny servants’ quarters in the annexe, with several engineers having to make do with makeshift bedrolls.

The morning of the first day consists of a series of soporific speeches by the various branch heads and ministers, all hearkening back to some revolution or the other whose revolutionary spirit must be honoured by winning the war against the Verusans. In the afternoon, however, discussions begin in earnest about how best to prosecute the ongoing war.

In one of the many sitting rooms, some of the lower-ranked generals and admirals are meeting with the Kolechian Peoples’ Air Force. The KPAF designers have a number of interesting proposals for them.

First off is the proposal for transferring control of the Hykib balloon squadrons to the army and navy, along with the plans to manufacture them, in return for the army and navy taking over the maintenance costs of those squadrons.

1916 Armed Forces Council - KPAF Proposal 1 - Balloon Transfer:
In light of their utility being primarily of interest to ground/naval forces, we propose that control over existing stocks of Hykib Observation Balloons be transferred to the Army and Navy (3 squads/1 squad respectively), along with their crews. Construction plans will also be handed over, in the event that either wishes to mobilise more balloon squadrons. Maintenance costs will be borne by the controlling agencies, but no cost will be incurred for the initial handover ((we don't want to get paid for the balloons, we just want to stop paying for them)).

Both the army and navy are generally accepting of this proposal, although some generals would like to extract a guarantee from the KPAF that their fixed-wing airplanes will also be deployed to defend the balloon squadrons wherever they might be sent. If this deal is signed, it might create some goodwill for the KPAF with the army and navy.

Another proposal raised is the possibility of a joint petition to get helmets and lifejackets issued as part of the standard uniform for the army and navy respectively.

1916 Armed Forces Council - KPAF Proposal 2 - Uniform Standards:
Following the successful mass deployment of Tactical Escape Parachutes amongst KPAF airmen, we would like to suggest a joint petition by all branches of the armed forces to have standard uniforms augmented with helmets for the army, and life jackets for the navy. The life-saving potential of both objects outweighs any cost concerns, and will no doubt aid our great republic in bringing a swift end to this war.

While promising, most representatives point out that soldiers and sailors are sent out to battle with helmets and life jackets already – the problem is that the army and navy are paying for them, not the Ministry of War, which issues the standard uniforms. Still, the consensus is that there’s no harm in trying, and the petition is drawn up on the spot. If the KPAF consents, the petition could be presented to the Ministry as soon as the very next day.

The last proposal that is presented by the design team is that of a mutual development fund for naval aircraft and equipment, between the KPAF and the Kolechian Navy.

1916 Armed Forces Council - KPAF Proposal 3 - Naval Development:
The potential for aircraft to influence the naval theatre has never been in question, however the exact mechanism by which they should do so has been a trickier thing to figure out. To hasten Kolechia's bid for salty supremacy, KPAF would like to dedicate a portion of its time exclusively to developments in the naval field. To aid in this endeavour, we request a mutual development fund paid into by both KPAF and the Navy, to be used to develop and deploy naval aircraft and relevant equipment.

After experiencing first-hand the ‘potential for aircraft to influence the naval theatre’ at the hands of the Sky Crusaders, the navy admirals don’t need much convincing to see the merits of such a proposal, even though relations with the KPAF are still lukewarm. They do insist on some conditions, however. The first is that design projects undertaken with the fund should be approved by the navy - to ensure that they are what the admirals think are useful. The second is that the KPAF make a commitment to devoting time on navy-related developments, which would entail spending at least 1 die every turn on naval designs or revisions. In return, however, the navy is willing to pay out 3 PP every month into the fund, to be matched by the KPAF.

The meetings adjourn for dinner in one of the many dining rooms of the Halls, and the design team takes the opportunity to regroup over a meal. Now is the time to bring up new proposals or agree on counter-offers and amendments to the existing ones, before the night meetings take place.

(I haven't done your side's design yet, because only two people have voted so far for starting the aluminum alloy project. If no one votes against in a couple of days, I'll roll for it.)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 18, 2018, 02:28:41 pm »

I don't think anyone was really against this plan at all? So I'll toss my vote to try and speed things along a bit.
Design Votes (5 Dice)
2 Dice to Levib (-4PP) : (4) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Doomblade, Jilladilla
A Shinier New World (3 dice) : (3) Doomblade, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Requisition :
A heavier machine gun, with a firerate of 150 RPM: (2) 10ebbor10, Kashyyk
Hand over our Reflector sight and incendiary bullets to the navy/army if they're interested: (2) 10ebbor10, Kashyyk

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 19, 2018, 04:34:50 am »

1916 Armed Forces Council - KPAF Proposal 3b - Naval Development
Instead of a generic fund, with generic parameters with no goal or end date, we propose developing towards a specified target to be achieved by next year (8 turns). We suggest one of the following:
- A Seaplane Bomber and cargoship-tender conversion. The Russian navy has already proven their effectiveness.
- A light, carrier-launched bomber and cargo ship carrier conversion. Deck-launched planes have been a thing since 1910, and are likely to be a significant boon to naval recon and power exertion.

I honestly believe that either if those would be easy for us to do. Both cargo conversions are likely to be small designs, and if we use a Feather, we'll likely only need a revision to convert it for naval use. Finally creating 10kg HE bombs and some mounts will be a pair of revisions. We'd likely only need 8 dice over the course of 8 turns, which is basically what they've asked for it gives us the ability to not spend any naval dice some turns if need be.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 19, 2018, 05:36:07 am »

Is there anything that we will probably have to make soon that we can promise to the army to get them to help support upgrsding our status? I was thinking either a new engine or better radios but what do you guys think?

Design Votes (5 Dice)
2 Dice to Levib (-4PP) : (5) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Doomblade, Jilladilla,khang
A Shinier New World (3 dice) : (4) Doomblade, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla,khang

Requisition :
A heavier machine gun, with a firerate of 150 RPM: (3) 10ebbor10, Kashyyk,khang
Hand over our Reflector sight and incendiary bullets to the navy/army if they're interested: (3) 10ebbor10, Kashyyk,khang

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 19, 2018, 05:37:31 am »

Well, we can promise bombers soon. But that's already been developed. Perhaps offer that if they aid in our fighter development, we can gain air superiority quicker.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 19, 2018, 05:43:46 am »

That works too but i was thinking if there could be any tech we will have from the new fighter that we can give to the army like a new engine or better radio to sweeten the deal that we can get the aemy to help fund.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 19, 2018, 05:46:05 am »

That works too but i was thinking if there could be any tech we will have from the new fighter that we can give to the army like a new engine or better radio to sweeten the deal that we can get the aemy to help fund.
Are we going to do a rotary or v-engine next? In know we are eyeing a radio, though.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 19, 2018, 05:54:45 am »

I was thinking we try our hand at a v12 engine, but if we go with a rotary/radial we can just promise both the navy and army better radios and maybe a new mg for aa use that we would use for future fighters?

With the other team making a metal framed aircraft it won't be long that both sides will be making all metal planes so i think we should get either a .50cal or auto cannon which we can give to both navy and army for aa use.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 19, 2018, 05:58:42 am »

The aluminum design is prep for an all-metal craft.

But yes, rechamberjng and improving a machine gun for AA use would be good.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57