Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192  (Read 13811 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:52 am »

As summer approaches Things quickly pick up in the Kingdom of Argas. First the execution of several criminals, rumours spread that they have seen the death of the Kings Uncle and thus their fates were sealed, others in turns suggest they tried to help the uncle escape, the majority however think it simply a normal series of executions as is common.

As May reaches its conclusion the summons for the Diet of the Kingdom are sent out to the various barons, counts and dukes of the Kingdom inviting them to the Diet with the beginning of midsummer.

For before the diet can begin other matters of the state need to be taken care of. Diplomatic Parties, outfitted by the king are making their way into the dangerous lands of the Wold. Gauging for interest in alliances and marriages aswell as informing the local warlords of the new power to the north of them.

The most illustrious of these parties however, departs for the lands of Gudrun den Wold, The Lady of the Red Argr, Butcher of Haetstett. For among them travels the Spymistress Lacie.

Despite being one of the strongest warlords of the Wold, it is clear that the Wold has become poor and destitute. The Lady of War is making her home in a decrepit fortress, haphazardly fixed with wood, were once was stone. Despite this the people seem somewhat prosperous and safe, at least inside the hold.

To Lacie it becomes quite quickly apparent that whatever else they may be, the men of the Red Argr are experienced veterans. Their faces are hard and they are disciplined. Men forged and molded by decades of war. These were not mere marauders and raiders. The party is frisked thoroughly and relieved of all weapons before they are finally led into the small but cozy main hall. It was filled with more men and women, captains and other folk of importance. And finally at the end of the hall was Lady Gudrun herself.

She doesn't seem like a butcher. She doesn't seem mad. She looks tired. Oh so very weary. Quaffing an ale she quickly stands up at the approach of the party.

Welcome! So Argas has a new king i hear? As she approaches her world weariness washes away, replaced with an easy confidence and a presence that somehow commands respect. She gives the party a once over but her eyes linger far longer than is appropriate on Lacie.[/i]

Meanwhile in Argas

The Lord of the Corvidae knights was mulling over the maps of the Kingdom. They were all horrible. No suprise no proper cartographer had been around in at least a century. What he had were local maps, drawings and various other things which he pieced together in some makeshift approximation of the kingdom. As he mulled over them, he considered the state of the Order.

The Corvidae had never been many knights to begin with. Argas was small and poor and outfitting even a single knight and feeding him, clothing him and taking care of his horse, were extreme expenses. The Order counted twenty knights at the moment, most of them sons of minor nobility, third and fourth born sons of utter insignificance bundled away to the order so they were taken care of.

As for troubles with bandits, there weren't particularly many, In the North were the raids of the mountain tribes, rustling cattle, abducting daughters and occassionally running off with the harvest of some unfortunate farmer. In the South marauders of the warlords occassionally crossed the border causing trouble, but most of the time it amounted to bullying a few farmhands, the defloration of a farmers daughter or two and the gutting of a border tavern. In other words business as usual. While unfortunate for the locals it wasn't something that was impacting the kingdom in any serious way. Banditry in the Kingdom was light as no one wanted to rob the traders along the river (them being very well guarded no withstanding) and the locals had nothing worth taking.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:12:02 pm by Ghazkull »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2018, 07:29:07 pm »

Lacie watched the warriors as she walked through the town, their skill was to be expected. They would not want to look weak in front of the visitors after all. Lacie freely offered up her weapons and then stepped into the hall, her eyes immediately went to Gudrun and she looked her up and down. Her eyes then began to study the room not wanting to look like she was staring, when they finally reached her she gave a bow and waited for the talks to begin.

It was strange though, it seemed most of Gudrun's attention was on her. Underneath her mask she frowned, that was unusual.
"It is an honour to meet you. Unfortunately yes, it was a great tragedy but we persevere as always."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:47:43 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2018, 02:45:40 am »

Someone, a general, a spymaster, someone, I got a letter and I need to talk!
Laranth is staring out of a window when the eccentric inventor runs past shouting. He turns to follow the man, catching up to him and grabbing him by the shoulder

"Hold there. What's so important about this letter? The king is no doubt busy, but I have a moment."
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2018, 07:23:25 am »

Someone, a general, a spymaster, someone, I got a letter and I need to talk!
Laranth is staring out of a window when the eccentric inventor runs past shouting. He turns to follow the man, catching up to him and grabbing him by the shoulder

"Hold there. What's so important about this letter? The king is no doubt busy, but I have a moment."
Ok, so, someone wants me to make them a telescope - I'm not sure how they figured out I had them, I only made the first prototype a week ago - and I have no idea who they are, their messenger was anonymous and the only identity I got was HLN. They don't even want me there when they pick the thing up!
I'm... I'm kinda worried that some people from another country might want my stuff for the purposes of attacking people.
o.o
They're supposed to visit my workshop in a month... and they left a lot of money up-front. What do you recommend I do?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:32 am »

Laranth looks concerned for a moment, but endeavours to calm down the inventor.

"That does sound unusual, although perhaps not sufficiently urgent that the king need be disturbed. What is a... 'telescope'? Some manner of weapon?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:26 am »

Ah, ok, so ah... you've got two convex glass lenses, one smaller than the other, and you've got both of them in a moderately long tube, bigger at the bigger lens's side of course. It lets you see stuff that's far away as if it's... about half the distance away that it really is.
It makes stuff look larger. So you can see stuff that's far away.

Spies, scouts, archers, assassins, commanders, explorers... imagine how useful it could be in the right hands, and how dangerous in the wrong ones!

Er. You have to be looking into it from the small side.
Otherwise it just makes stuff look smaller.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:46:05 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2018, 09:07:03 am »

"I suppose such a thing would be of some military use... though I'd take a good sword over it any day. And blacksmiths make swords for strangers all the time. The kingdom makes a modest profit from selling weapons to the warlords of the Wold, after all."

"Still, I can understand your concern. I will mention it to the king, and perhaps when the spymistress returns she can investigate. However, I'd say that there would be no harm in selling this... telescope- so long as you pay your taxes, the kingdom will profit from it, and you will have more funds with which to build your little toys. You said they will return in a month? I shall speak with the king, and let you know his judgement before then."

((Assuming Erin doesn't have anything major to add))

Laranth waited for an opportune moment to speak with the king, and summarised the inventor's story for him.

"It is an odd situation, but it seems harmless to me. If the man has finally found something people are willing to pay for, let him sell it. But if you disagree, there is time to stop the sale."

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2018, 09:53:13 am »

“Hmm,” King Tristan said as he leaned forward in his seat. “I can see why he would be concerned. But I believe that the benefits might outweigh the risks. We will direct him to to Lord Riskov, he may have ideas on how we can market this and other inventions.”

“How do your lands fare, my good Duke?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:13 am »

In response to the king's words, Laranth nods.

"I shall send word to both the inventor and Alexei, so they can organise a meeting."

"My lands far comparatively well, for now. The winter was not so hard, the spring relatively bountiful, and should the weather hold, we expect a fair harvest. The northerners have been relatively quiet as well. Of course, there are always bridges and forts in need of repair, and the weather may yet turn against us. Come the diet, I shall propose that the kingdom's granaries be expanded, in hopes of mitigating future hunger. It is not the most glamorous expenditure, but it may save many lives."

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:42 am »

After finishing business with the report Corvus ordered two knights, several agents and around thirty armed serfs retinue to northern borders to better investigate state of affairs out there and to get more information on raider tribes.
Then he headed to the court in hope of meeting new king in person. ( I hope, that diner thing is not nest turn )

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:53 am »

Lacie

A mischievous grin appears on the face of the Warlord Well, that doesn't exactly speak for your king as a marriage prospect, if his ascension alone is considered a great tragedy by his servants my dear!

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2018, 07:01:03 pm »

Lacie smiled,
"My lady I can assure you the new king is a great man and he will lead our country to even greater heights. A death of a beloved king however is always a tragedy, no matter who takes the throne afterwards."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:11 am »

Her face takes a more serious cast. Out here the dead don't count for much except for crow food and fertilizer. Anyway lets stop talking in the doorway, come in, sit down and have some food and drinks.

You are rapidly seated and served. What you recieve is standard fare, bread and beer. The beer is notably thin and the bread is coarse and you can taste that the dough has been stretched with spelt.

So i assume you are here to assess the possibilities of a marriage and an alliance?

You notice that the Warlord drinks and eats the same things you do, so the poor fare is certainly not a calculated insult.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:10 pm »

Lacie drunk the beer without hesitation, she had had worse in her time. When the warlord spoke she looked towards her and nodded,
"Would you be open to talks on the subject?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2018, 05:04:22 pm »

She nodded, refilled Lacies cup and leaned closer
But first and foremost who are you to the king? His governess sent to assess my maidenhead? If so go right ahead, at least your king has a good taste in his choice of governess, although you may find that i haven't been a maiden for a long time.
again the mischievous grin on her face.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16