Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192  (Read 13803 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2018, 07:14:53 am »

Reynauld looked miffed

"I am not talking about losses. I am talking about the fact that currently large parts of our trade are with foreign countries. We are exporting the grain and profiting off of it. Now, the Crown has always gotten first dibs on any grain,forcing us to sell to them first at a miserable price. By increasing the amount the Crown stores you force us to sell to the Crown instead to more profitable venues. We make a net loss. Ergo i demand that the Crown sells at Market Prices to offset out losses. It is only fair." again the same Counts mumbled agreement.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2018, 07:24:19 am »

"Have you forgotten the winter of 81? Or the torrential rains of 87?" Riskov was next to speak up. " And at every single time did the crown not sell the grain at low price? And has it not bought it at a fair price when the harvests were plentiful and many complained that the grain will spoil because no one wants to collect it?"

Alexei looked over the assembly. "My lords, the grain sold and bought is not for king's profit, but for the security of the realm. It is not every year that the grain is purchased, and many of you profited from selling the surplus here in the country when no one would buy it from you. The prices will not change, but the amount sold will, and with that, the market price will go up, regardless of what the crown will pay you. I dare say, that the crown more than helps by ensuring that the prices in ports and overseas remain high for you, at a measly price of the first bushels being collected."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2018, 07:28:13 am »

The so-called Grain Queen finds Lord Alexei saying exactly what she was going to say, and simply sits back down, content.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2018, 03:06:27 pm »

King Tristan stared at Reynauld, who refused to offer his loyalty and now demanded concessions from the crown. Tristan supposed that this would be the first true test of his kingship. They only saw a young man, not a king. He would have to disabuse them of that notion.

The king stood to his feet. “The Crown will no longer pay the reduced price of grain. We will instead collect a quarter of all grain production as a tithe. Any amount above that we will pay market price. This tithe will be for the safety and security of the realm, as is my right to decide as king. Unless,” he says, looking at Reynauld, “you disagree?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2018, 03:17:17 pm »

Reynauld did not disagree. There was a moment of silence. A quarter of the yearly production. That was unheard of. That was outrageous. Instead all the other counts jumped out of their chairs, screaming their outrage and denial.

Before anything else could happen, The Cound of Loos silenced his compatriots. "Silence!" suprised looks were exchanged before they subsided. Reynauld looked at the king, his face stony, it was clear that he was exercising all his willpower to remain calm.

"The Kings Will is our command." woodenly he knelt in front of the king and at an insistent wave his compatriots followed. "If the king allows it we are asking to be excused to manage the detials of how to provide the required tithe."

With Reynauld, 8 more counts left the chambers for a side room.

That left only one of the counts who had not sworn loyalty. Horace, the Marcher Lord of Yshuis as well as the clergy. But the clergy was a different matter entirely considering their not yet determined position within the kingdom.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2018, 03:22:15 pm »

After the counts stormed out, Laranth stood, a concerned look on his face.

"With respect, your majesty, this may not be the wisest course. For one thing, one tax does not fit all- to take a quarter of the grain produced in Yshuis would be crippling, where the farmers of Gynfer could easily give more. For another, what you propose would effectively be a new tax, which traditionally involves seeking approval from a diet such as this- to impose it by decree might arouse ill will, as we have already seen. Whilst the idea has merit, it may be best to explain to the counts that you were simply making a point, and have no intention of levying such a tithe."
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »

Duke Riskov looked concerned and observed as the men left the chamber. The king's will was made manifest, but the realm didn't see it quite the same way.

"Your Majesty, if we keep this as open deliberation, I am sure that Duke Laranth's point about this being a test of your power than an actual demand, we might actually get away with say... " This was a dangerous place. Backtracking for a king was a dangerous move, one especially poorly seen if preceded by the advice of court lords. This might be the time to stand firm with the king.
Alexei approached the throne and spoke with a lowered voice.
"We might get away with grain being sequestered as tithe, if it actually is part of the current taxes, hmm? That would both inspire the lords to produce more, as well as allow them to keep greater stock of gold and silver - the treasury might suffer short-term, true, but we will also be able to sell the grain if the conditions permit, turning this into a positive situation for everyone."

Alexei turned to the rest of the chamber. "My lords, the chamber is allowed to deliberate now, I announce a recess for the reminder of the afternoon."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2018, 04:49:44 pm »

The patrician of grain did not wish to make herself seem too connected to the king, and simply waited upon her seat.

Once again, scope out room for any of my class, and see if I know them.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2018, 11:22:15 am »

Avaris

You rapidly notice that you are the only person who is neither noble nor clergy in the room.

It takes quite a while longer while the assembly waits but ultimately the counts return, now distinctly forming a united bloc.

Reynauld again takes the lead. "After some deliberation we have managed to organize matters to be able to pay the demanded tithe in full milord."

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2018, 01:20:29 pm »

The King nodded, “Excellent. I expect this measure to be temporary as we expand our stockpiles. Duke Riskov will be trusted with the responsibility for determining the needed length of the tithe to replenish the reserves of our Kingdom. Your service and contribution to the realm will be well rewarded, my lords.”

With this the king slowly sat down, his eyes locked on Lord Reynauld. He motioned for Lord Riskov to either speak on the grain storage more or move on to a different topic.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »

"My lord Reynauld, if you would grace me with your presence this evening to discuss the details, I would be greatly appreciated. Other lords are too welcome to discuss the details."

Alexei nods politely at the noble and turns to his king "Your Majesty, I will get the accounts and details of this written up later, if you allow." He then turns to the assembly.
"As it is proclaimed by His Majesty, the grain tithe shall be implemented, details of which shall be established by the Royal Chancery of the Coin later on."

Alexei looked to the scrolls for the next topic on the agenda.

"Next subject to be debated is one that has been brought up by the Chancery - uniform trade tariffs and customs fees, for improving and easing of trade in the kingdom. The suggestion is to change the current scheme of varied payments in various cities and crossings set by each lord to a uniform list of fees and duties for goods entering and leaving across the realm. This is for the benefit of merchants, who will have it easier when travelling and reduce their costs and for all lords, who will be able to predict and receive more regular dues for trade goods. This will also allow the Crown to measure the revenues better. The rates will be set by the Chancery."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »

Erin Quill

Glass is indeed a rare resource in Argas. Expensive and not that easy to come by. You are currently in Arg Cais. You could look for Mossian Traders there to aquire glass from them. You could go to a local jeweler or you could travel to Risfurt in the hopes of finding southern tradesmen. Then again some Merchants might have travelled up the Argr to Arg Cais, so you could travel the river docks and its local taverns as well.

The question with the tube also needs resolving. Do you use wood or metal? You could simply take some wood from a local carpenter, or go to lengths to aquire more exotic wood? Wood from Moss is dark in color and excellent for shipbuilding. Or you could again aquire wood from the Wold. Mostly oaks and beech to be had there. Or you could go for hazel if you want something with more flexibility.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »

Considerations for a telescope:
  • If it bends, the moving light gets messed up and you won't be able to see stuff as well or at all.
  • It may be used at sea, so waterproofing it is probably a good idea.
  • I wonder if there are other clear materials more common than glass.
  • Wood is easier to shape than metal, but more fragile. Metals also rust.
  • Does anyone make metal tubes?

Research time! Let's look around for prices, check around for metal and wood tubes, etc. This will be thorough.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:08:19 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2018, 04:11:28 pm »

After it became apparent that no one had anything substantial to say on the topic of tariffs, Laranth arose to make his voice heard.

"I see no issue with the proposed measure. Unless anyone has a counterpoint to make, my vote is aye."
Long Live United Forenia!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2018, 04:18:14 pm »

As you consider the materials again, you come back to the Dark Mossian Wood. You have no clue what its name is but it is hard to bend, even though it is used for ship building. With some proper laquer and pitch it can be made utterly waterproof.

Beyond glass you could probably use gems. That would be hideously expensive though since you would require clear coloured gems. Since you are absolutely clueless about those you would need to visit a local jeweler to help you out.

As for metal tubes, you don't know of anyone buying metal tubing but you are pretty sure a smith could make some for you if you ask for it. Of course most metal eventually rusts. But copper, bronze and gold or silver might be alternatives who do not rust quickly or oxidize in ways that make them unusuable. Again that would be rather expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16