Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia: Gameover. The Smoke! It's In The Smoke! Was It Worth It?  (Read 91853 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia(7/11): Day 3: The Sun Sets But The Day Goes On
« Reply #795 on: July 24, 2018, 05:02:07 pm »

Case in point:
Consequently, it's feasible that there are two remaining scum, and it's either you and Tric, or Starver and Tric.
And yet you seem to want to persecute MM.

There’s no case there. I believe there is one scum left, and that scum is MM. Perhaps I should be less forthcoming with ideas that go against what I’m doing in future :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gladiator, which I hadn't even heard of when I got it but I found the identical action name and description on the mafiascum wiki
I never did figure out just how I could use that one, except if it was included as more of a tiebreak forcing sort of thing.
Wow. How is that vanilla, or even Mostly Vanilla? And why aren't you using it? The way I read it, it's used to give a me-or-him ultimatum, which would work as a nice Q.E.D. for making your case.

Did you miss the part where I dissed RGU for making a him-or-me out of his case? I feel like if I have a strong case I wouldn't need it, unless I thought it was solid but people were ignoring me. If I have a weaker case, as when I voted you earlier today, then it's better to let others make up their mind without altering the voting rules. As it is, I have not so much pressed a case against anyone lately as I have been anxious to defend myself. The gladiator challenge wouldn't accomplish much if too many people don't trust me to be town first.

MM

Why did you redirect blueturtle onto IcyTea?

What made you choose to redirect blueturtle in the first place, what made you choose IcyTea to be his target?

Also, why did you not redirect Tric, whom you appear to think is scum?

I was thinking in terms of using it to establish a web of confirmation: blueturtle and I would interact in the night, and depending on the ability I tagged I would get some sort of news about IcyTea, too. I'm not temperamentally suited to so quickly prune down my suspects (one lesson to be learned from this game) and this, if it had worked, would have given me more data on players I wanted to believe town.

It is only since reading your question and wondering, "But what would targeting TM do for me?" that the offensive potential of a redirect has really begun to sink in. I've been hung up on not having any proper investigative things to do and trying to jimmy my trickster abilities into something else (another lesson to be learned from this game).

Hit preview three times and nearly forgot to unvote myself.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 24, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »

TricMagic

At this point, there are too many conflicting theories to lynch for scumminess, so let's lynch for information. Lynching TM will confirm Starver and thus me, leaving us at 3/6 cleared players at start of night (assuming one scum left and thus RGU). With that and the abilities we have left, we should be well capable of finding the scum with little doubt on the next day.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:14 am »

How will clearing Starver clear you?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2018, 06:58:52 am »

Apologies for the sloppiness of my last post, I made it right after waking up.

With Starver clear, there is no reason to doubt that they were blocked N1. That establishes I really do have a jailing (or at least blocking) ability, as no one else has claimed to have such. I then blocked RGU on N2, meaning I couldn't have performed the kill in a one-scum-left scenario, and neither could he.

Now that I think about it, in a two-scum-left scenario this does leave the possibility of RGU just opting not to act on N2 and then lying about being blocked, which would mean us being a scumteam.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 25, 2018, 08:23:03 am »

I know I was blocked, but obviously nobody really knows about me and my part in this. Still, it's not a twisty-turny answer to assume I was looking for a blocker and did not jump upon the first respondee (one who some might suggest I am in cahoots with) to form a mutual-confirmation lovefest, but actually doubted them from the off. With other details (beyond my comprehension to know or coordinate) coming to light, a simple cross-link of up to a handful of persons got formed, leaving those beyond it conspicuously unproven in any relative way.

Aside from Tric's errors N1 atop being mixed up in other actions, I think speculatively flipping near-as-damnit-Townie Tric just to confirm me/others is a waste of Tric's future potential usefulness. I'd rather it was me (though obviously I'd much rather we poke at someone almost entirely unknown and see what they are rather than kill a heavily cross-corroborated individual just to see if it's actually a house of cards that is prone to falling) and I was even angling to be killed off N1 on the assumption that that this would leave other more potent Townies still alive.

I say that as one that is part of the house of cards, so trust or trust not (those not within it) but I think pretty much everybody has accepted a particular different target amongst their candidates, yet studiously avoided accepting them as their target. I don't vote lightly, as some of you know, and without some good revelation (so far lacking) I'm unlikely to compromise so far away from what I see as the optimal result.

Also, I've pretty much provided all the evidence I can (barring future night experiences, maybe, which surely wouldn't outshine others' ongoing educations). Or maybe I'm now trying to lull <insert opposite faction here> into leaving me be. Or maybe I've just tried to encourage them to pester me anyway! WIFOY!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:04 am »

I'm almost sure this is a two-scum scenario though. Games with 11 or 12 players tend to have 3-4 scum, and scum had an ally. I suspect the scum team is 1 mafia-ally and 3 proper scum members. We lynched the ally and the scum doctor, now there's probably 2 scum left.

FoU: Can a lone scum use both the scum mafiakill and an action?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09:03 pm »

FoU: Can a lone scum use both the scum mafiakill and an action?
Not by default. It's possible a Mostly Vanilla ability enables that.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:10 pm »

Tick. Tock.

Everyone needs sleep.

Tock. Tick.

The day can only stretch so long.

Tick. Tock.

The night is dark and deep.

Tock. Tick.

A loud sound. The day's end. A gong.
~~~
VOTECOUNT:
*[1] hector13: TricMagic
*[0] Starver:
-[1] TricMagic: IcyTea31
*[0] IcyTea31:
*[0] randomgenericusername:
*[1] juicebox: Starver
*[2] mightymushroom: hector13, randomgenericusername

Not voting: juicebox, mightymushroom

Nobody had much of a consensus, but in the end hector13 and randomgenericusername took matters into their own hands.

The mighty fungus man had to die. For he was evil! Of darkness!

They rushed him from behind. He was a traitor! A plotter! Mightymushroom noticed randomgenericusername, and grappled with him. But he didn't expect hector. Hector knocked him off his feet and wrestled him into the spikes. And lo, he was impaled.

Mightymushroom lay dying. And lo, he began to laugh, in agony. He began to laugh, in pain. He giggled. "Bye-bye protons!" He laughed one more laugh, then fell still.

Then his hands jerked, throwing open his jacket. What was that, some kind of suicide vest?

Hector tried to get back but he was too slow as the vest exploded, covering him in sticky sweet cold... something.

Ice cream, apparently. Whatever it was, it certainly ruined hector's secret weapon.

"Well, that's the last of them!" The old man. The Fallacy himself. "Well done! You make excellent hounds." Fallacy laughed. Crazy old man. But his crazy wasn't worth leaving him to die.

"I knew coming here was a good idea!" The smoke. The pink smoke. Wait. Pink smoke isn't normal.

Fallacy laughed, and laughed, and laughed, as the and laughed, and laughed, as the smoke and laughed, and laughed...

And he laughed, and he laughed, and he laughed as the smoke came and laughed, and he laughed a great big laugh as the smoke came and covered and laughed and then

And then the smoke covered everything. The mushroom man's body. Hector and the random one. The seller of juices and the withered man. And he laughed. And he laughed.

At the magician. At the drinker of iced teas. And he laughed.

"The smoke... it's in the smoke..." The mushroom man was dying, sure, but people don't die just from having spikes impaling them. And he spoke. "It's in the smoke... it's in the smoke..."

And the old man laughed. "Now we can all be cats together! Sure you're good hounds but everyone knows that cats are the bestest!" And he laughed.

The traitors were dead. The mushroom man kept muttering till his last. The gadgeteer never got a chance to speak, thrown into the fire. Spin, seemingly invincible, cut down by a catgirl. No. There were no such things as catgirls. It was a trick.

And he laughed. And he laughed. Laughed into the smoke. Laughed till the next morning, when the smoke cleared.

It was in the smoke. But that thought faded. The man was evil. But that thought faded. In the end? When he offered you his cat costumes a second time, you thought them real, and you accepted, because cats were the bestest, and you wore them, and, well, it was in the smoke.

And he laughed, and he laughed his way into a cult of brainwashed cat fanatics.

Maybe the darkness wasn't so bad after all. The ones in darkness only wanted to help. But the old man tricked you. And he laughed.

Sure, you've won. The townspeople. But the ones in darkness now lie dead. And they only wanted to help.

Why didn't you just let them kill the old man?

Oh well. You're sure you can get used to your new ears and tails and fur. The smoke comes every morning and makes it harder and harder to think. And all the while, the old man laughs.

The game is over. The town has won, and for their prize, they win a catastrophe.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Action History (click to show/hide)

Don't outguess the mod.

Well, that's swing for you.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, not like catgirls are a bad thing. Always wanted the ears and tail.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, we won? Did we seriously have an almost flawless game against scum?

Huh. Can we have the link to scumchat and deadchat?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we were lucky there. MM played "my skills are Townie!" very well (though I was still expecting one more person needing to go, to win, I don't think my choice would have helped us narrow that down).

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks very much for including my death line, Fallacy.

Gonna link the chats so they know what I was talking about?
If I had to lose, at least I can show off my creative style.

Pretty decent game, for all the incredible one-way swing.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was VERY one-way, mostly because of luck and strong town players. Kinda feel bad for the scum team, they were completely destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:21:36 pm by randomgenericusername »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55