Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread  (Read 25187 times)

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
  • 200 versions of the same catboy
    • View Profile
Re: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2018, 07:07:01 pm »

Sir Elventide, with your permission, comrade commissar, I would like to either have the ability to have my violin also be a guitar, or retcon it so it is a guitar.
Having a hard time finding good violin covers of songs. VSQ is good, but they're a quartet, and that's what I want the whole violin thing to evolve into, but not start out as.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2018, 11:20:46 am »

Sorry I keep changing shit. And talking so much.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »

Sir Elventide, with your permission, comrade commissar, I would like to either have the ability to have my violin also be a guitar, or retcon it so it is a guitar.
Having a hard time finding good violin covers of songs. VSQ is good, but they're a quartet, and that's what I want the whole violin thing to evolve into, but not start out as.

Talk shit, get hit!

Hahaha, just kidding. Considering that your violin is part of your Psyche, it can be what you want it to be, whether that entailed a violin/guitar combined instrument or a violin that you'd just retconned into a guitar or some other possibility, provided that it makes sense.

If I'm correct, based on your Psyche's description, you're basically giving your teammates buffs depending on the themes that whatever song you're playing brings to mind, with the quality determining the strength of the effect. In the interest of translating that to gameplay mechanics without making you too overpowered, I was thinking about first rolling a d6 to determine the quality of your song. Rolling between a two and a five will allow you to boost a baseline of two Attributes relating to the theme of the song, with the quality roll value being split neatly between them. For example, a quality roll of five will be split between 3 for one Attribute and two for the other, each value being assigned randomly. Rolling a one; however, will force you to only boost one Attribute by +1. Of course, rolling a six would allow you to affect a third Attribute relating to your song's theme, its value determined by rolling a d6.

Of course, as your Psyche are used to influence others, Charisma would be the Attribute that its power will be based on. In fact, perhaps for every five Charisma you have, you can further boost the Attribute of your choosing by one after the quality di(c)e had already be rolled since your character are pretty much a bard.

Obviously, the stipulations of this Psyche would be that you have to continue playing the song each round for it to continue working and that any attacks on your person that knocks you down, stun you, or do whatever, will interrupt you and stop your song and its effects. So, do you think my suggestion is fair or do you have something else in mind?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:02 pm »

Red like roses fill my Dreams.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2018, 07:01:26 pm »

For Tric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8ghbdIdcE
For Comrade Commissar: https://youtu.be/JXfrZKBThF0?t=156

I agree with your mechanics. I was pondering whether or not Toby's skill would improve his playing, but having pretty much a complete guarantee of some boost or another fits the lore of Toby being fairly skilled, and also accounts for effects like playing whilst you're terrified, or if the ground is shaking etc. etc.
I will go and edit my drive file so that his psyche weapon will be 2 instruments: Guitar and Violin. Each will be capable of sounding like, respectively: Acoustic, Electric, and Bass Guitars, and Violin, Cello, and Viola. 2 reasons for that: One, so that I don't have to find a very specific instrument cover (for most of these songs I won't be able to find a cover anyways), and Two, because the charisma boost will be explained via Toby being able to essentially sound as if he is playing multiple instruments (I even have an explanation for this ability, if anyone wants it. Not really important, because magic, but still).
Toby will by default being carrying the violin, but he can turn it into a guitar as necessary.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »

It's Aether, I think it was it thought energy. Off the top of my head anyway.

Mirror, won't you tell me~

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2018, 01:13:56 am »

..that's 1/7776 odds.  Maybe a little too unlikely?
NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!
I feel like I should make it known that I posted this without even reading the post above it. It just turned out that the post above it was also Devastator discussing odds. What are the odds amirite fellas?
*rimshot*

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2018, 01:15:35 am »

is AV dead? I know that posts take a bit of time, but...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:05:24 pm by Redjive_Industries »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »

is AV dead? I know that posts take a bit of time, but...

Never dead, just been lazy really busy. I have plenty of time tonight and tomorrow though...

[edit] I'd just realized that I didn't add your character's info in my drive file. This will be remedied before Friday.

((If anyone wants me to do an intro for Toby, or something, I'll do that OOC but I can't think of anything applicable RN))
*earlier that day* As the new students gather to prepare for the battle, Toby reflects on his own preparations for this day. He had spent the better part of a week converting his Allin gun to use .50 BMG instead of the .50-70 shells normally used. He'd been sure it would be simple; after all, it was just a different bullet length. He'd also spent some time gathering some specialized rounds, HE, AP, and tracer rounds, and also attempted to make a few magical rounds as well.
After that, there was nothing left to do but practice his songs so that he could play them even in the heat of battle.)

(leave 2 action rolls to finish up the ones that I bugger the rolls on.

Had I mentioned that you only have five progress actions to do instead of seven? Also, in the case above, you're only learning the recipe for the rounds. In order to use them, you must also craft them as well as crafting is a progress action too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:11:50 pm by Sir Elventide »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »

That's good.  I know a couple people, (cough *RC*) have been waiting for the monster-slaying action.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »

Maybe we'll get to the fun part before 2020~

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:23 am »

Had I mentioned that you only have five progress actions to do instead of seven? Also, in the case above, you're only learning the recipe for the rounds. In order to use them, you must also craft them as well as crafting is a progress action too.

Alright, I'm going to reorder this. I didn't really think about my actions when i originally did them so I'm going to repost it here:
2 rolls to boost Charisma, representative of me learning songs etc. for my Psyche.
1 roll to try convert the Allin Gun to .50 BMG.
1 roll to learn how to manufacture specialized .50 BMG (am I safe assuming that I'll be allowed to have standard rounds without having to craft them first? Since making them would be practically the same as making .50-70?)
1 save roll. Use it on the conversion first.
If my non save rolls succeed, use the save roll to craft some Armour-Piercing-Incendiary-Tracer rounds.

please let me know if try to convert Allin to BMG and then not crafting standard rounds is going to ruin my ammo supply, in which case I shall the actions which rely on that.

Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:32:43 am by Redjive_Industries »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2018, 08:05:11 am »

Updates, they come. Sometime, soonish.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2018, 06:45:50 pm »

Alright, I'm going to reorder this. I didn't really think about my actions when i originally did them so I'm going to repost it here:
2 rolls to boost Charisma, representative of me learning songs etc. for my Psyche.
1 roll to try convert the Allin Gun to .50 BMG.
1 roll to learn how to manufacture specialized .50 BMG (am I safe assuming that I'll be allowed to have standard rounds without having to craft them first? Since making them would be practically the same as making .50-70?)
1 save roll. Use it on the conversion first.
If my non save rolls succeed, use the save roll to craft some Armour-Piercing-Incendiary-Tracer rounds.

please let me know if try to convert Allin to BMG and then not crafting standard rounds is going to ruin my ammo supply, in which case I shall the actions which rely on that.

Sorry for the confusion.

The good thing about ranged weapons in Aetheria is that the ammo are created by the same energy that allows characters to use their skills, Psyche, Totem etc.  The only ammo you ever have to worry about running out of is any special ammo you crafted to use. Also, as your weapon is essentially a part of your soul, it cannot be modified directly. However, you can create a mod that grants your Allin the capacity to fire the .50 BMG though it would mean that it will only be capable of firing .50 BMG rounds while the mod is still attached.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2018, 11:38:27 pm »

Well, unless you're Lemmy..

Speaking of that, any decision on the effects of attacking without a weapon?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13