Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52993 times)

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 3, Autumn 1951
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2018, 09:05:21 am »

I think we should design a NMG.
The Wictor is very explicitly said to be bad by evicted. It's 40 years old. It has terrible accuracy to the point where even at close range it can barely hit anything. It has to be carried by horse if not mounted on a vehicle. Yet despite that, it had a huge impact.
So if we make a new, proper, NMG, it should do wonders. And it'd be easy to have drastic improvements over the Wictor since, y'know, 40 years has passed.

I believe I offered one last turn... Both Not!Assault Rifle and Not!Machine Gun variants.

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid"
"Rabid" Battle Carbine '51 is a new rifle for our troops. Weapon fires .280 round shamelessly copied from British and their recent rifle demonstration. The rifle is a gas operated using long-strike piston with rotating bolt, giving it ability to fire in semi-automatic mode without needing a large external assembly as our existing Tokow rifle. It also has Assisted Reset mode to allow faster firing rates. The rifle is relatively short, only about 35 inches long with the stock, with recoil spring located in the stock. Weapon feeds from 30 round curved magazine. The barrel is covered in a metal shroud. There are also links to allow weapon to be carried with a strap, as well as rails for mounting optics or other additions.

NAF-SCR-51 "Repeater"
"Repeater" Self-Cocking Rifle is a replacement for machine guns. It fires our existing .303 rounds, but uses assisted reset for the trigger.  Weapon fires from an open bolt position and is fed from either side-mounted magazine or a belt. Weapon is designed to be light enough to be carried by a single soldier (not accounting for ammunition) and be mounted anywhere as our NGM can be. It also has bipod for more mobile movement. It is air cooled with quick-change barrels and has a carry handle.

Assisted Reset
Main feature of the weapons is the "assisted reset" mode. In this mode, when weapon cycles the trigger is reset to the forward position, allowing user to rapidly squeeze the trigger.  The reset point can be adjusted to be either half-way or to full reset. In half-way state user needs to release the trigger for a split-second to allow reset to finalize, while full-reset makes the trigger reset fully. Additional latch prevent firing until cycling is complete, in order to ensure that the weapon remains compliant with the UN treaty.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:03:24 am by Mandemon »
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:48 am »

I continue to believe that the self-resetting-trigger skirts too close to automatic fire- Toskesh could well argue that it requires no conscious action on the part of the user, since the gun is doing all the work- they just keep squeezing/pushing the trigger, much like if it were fully automatic.

Anyway, looking at a list of machine guns, it looks like there aren't many that use a calibre between .3(03) and .5, I'd guess because ~.4 is the worst of both worlds- too powerful to fire without a mount, not powerful enough to pierce any real armour. Or something. I think we too should pick one, and not try to awkwardly do both.
Using a higher calibre round and an improved mount specifically designed for a NMG (and thus capable of eliminating the motion of the crank) will both improve accuracy considerably. Putting a limiter on the crank so that it cannot be spun too quickly will prevent (most) jamming. A better lining of the water cooling shroud will reduce greasiness.
Long Live United Forenia!

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2018, 09:59:19 am »

I continue to believe that the self-resetting-trigger skirts too close to automatic fire- Toskesh could well argue that it requires no conscious action on the part of the user, since the gun is doing all the work- they just keep squeezing/pushing the trigger, much like if it were fully automatic.

Anyway, looking at a list of machine guns, it looks like there aren't many that use a calibre between .3(03) and .5, I'd guess because ~.4 is the worst of both worlds- too powerful to fire without a mount, not powerful enough to pierce any real armour. Or something. I think we too should pick one, and not try to awkwardly do both.
Using a higher calibre round and an improved mount specifically designed for a NMG (and thus capable of eliminating the motion of the crank) will both improve accuracy considerably. Putting a limiter on the crank so that it cannot be spun too quickly will prevent (most) jamming. A better lining of the water cooling shroud will reduce greasiness.

If you were to change it so the crank operates the whole bolt mechanism like how chainguns do it we should be able to get around the missfire issues as it would automatically cycle the bolt and eject the bullet.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2018, 10:08:45 am »

Right, but then the user would have to put in far more energy, surely? Pulling back the whole bolt as opposed to a trigger?

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:12 am »

There needs to be conscious action from the user. This action is to pull the trigger again, despite having felt it reset.

We have had pretty big argument over this on discord, and we had actual person who has used this types of triggers chime in, stating that they require new trigger pull. He also said that he could get 20 rounds in 5 seconds, while going for accuracy. He also said he could go far higher if he was going for ROF.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:58 am »

How hard would it be to turn a gun from using that mechanism to an even more conventional semi-automatic system. I'm almost convinced, but not quite entirely.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:28 am »

How hard would it be to turn a gun from using that mechanism to an even more conventional semi-automatic system. I'm almost convinced, but not quite entirely.

How to turn this into normal semi-auto?

That's the beauty of it. It basically is a semi-auto! Only thing needed is a selector to ensure that the trigger does not reset, at all. Alternatively, set the reset to half-way, so user needs to release the trigger to fire again.

Anyway, votebox!

Quote from: Votebox
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (1): Mandemon
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (0):
NAF-SCR-51 "Repeater" (With both-resets) (0):
NAF-SCR-51 "Repeater" (With half-reset) (0):

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:05:48 am by Mandemon »
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2018, 11:09:53 am »

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (1): Mandemon
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (1): NUKE9.13

Hmm. 240rpm is respectable, right? And we do need a better rifle. No need to risk violating the conventions with full resets, though.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:25 am »

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (2): Mandemon, Stabby
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (1): NUKE9.13

I guess it's only proper I vote for it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:38 am »

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (2): Mandemon, Stabby
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (2): BBBence, NUKE9.13
Half reset is fast enough, and I'd rather not have that entire argument again with the enemy team.

Edit: Damn Ninja

Edit 2: Damn it Stabby
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:49 am »

That's convincing enough.

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (2): Mandemon, Stabby,10ebbor10

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2018, 11:28:29 am »

New NMG to replace the Wickers, its showing its age.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first draft of the Duke N-machinegun, I don't usually do the write up for Tech stuff, I stick to write-ups for fantasy or the rare vehicle. But Kots not awake and chief said that he didn't want to write a proposal this turn.

Paradigm DR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A proposal for a better gun to stick on the paradigm, The Ironcatsre has been perfectly serviceable as a Main gun But as an artillery gun on the paradigm its kinda sucked, so a good solution is to improve the gun,and increase the range it can fire from so its lack of armour is less of a problem.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2018, 11:32:08 am »

NAF-NMG-51 "Rainmaker" (1): Frostgiant,
NAF-SPAT-51 "Paradigm-DR" (0):
Didn't mean to double post this, whoops.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:53 pm »

I think we serve to gain more from a proper NMG, personally.
The Rabid's very nice and definitely something I think we should do at some point, but we serve to gain much more from a proper NMG than a better semiauto.

I decided to write a design after all, though this is much more "committee designed" and is largely just me writing up specifications discussed with others.

NAF-NMG-51 "Emu"
Being ripped off from inspired by the tragically-banned M2 Browning that entered service in the 30s, the Emu NMG is an entirely new NMG built from the ground-up to work with the new principles of warfare.

It uses the popular .50 BMG round and is aimed to be very roughly the same size and dimensions of the existing Wictor - just at least similar enough so we can use it on the same mounts with little to no adapting of the mounts, though minor modification (included in this design) may be needed in the coaxial hippo mount - such as moving the mount back or opening up the "hole" in the armor or the like.
The crank is built in for maximum ergonomics and fire rate, and a speed limiter is installed to prevent weapon jamming. The mounts can lock in place to maximize accuracy and to avoid bobbing caused by spinning the crank. The entire gun is generally aimed to just be "built better" than the Wickers, which is roughly 40 years old; modernization and streamlining is a general goal.
The barrel is notably longer in order to facilitate the .50 rounds but we anticipate the barrel length to generally not factor into mount compatibility. A crew of three is roughly planned - the spotter, the gunner, and the loader - though it should have zero problems with bigger crews for whatever reason. As an afterthought, the gun can be fit to be carried on the backs of particularly determined soldiers.

An optional attachment exists: a sort of water cooler that can be attached to the barrel. This should allow crews to make tea with their weapon, and we've put care in to eliminate that greasy taste complained about in the Wictor.

TL;DR: We ripoff the M2 Browning but design it with a crank in mind, then add an optional "thermos" to go around the barrel to make non-greasy tea with.

NAF-NMG-51 "Rainmaker" (1): Frostgiant,
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (1): Chiefwaffles
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:07:09 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18:46 pm »

NAF-NMG-51 "Rainmaker" (0):