Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20297 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »

@Iituem If we wanted a Magic to make Golems, like out of Stone or metal. would Necromancy lead to them with animation or augmentation?
Just want to know because I'm writing up a second nation sheet... I like to make more than one when making factions.

Augmentation would be the better bet there, as it's the classical enchantment school.

So, since you're giving out pointers, is there anything blatantly wrong with my Sheet Iituem? Anything that doesn't seem to fit, likely not brought up to speed with one of my pre-post edits? Stuff that is greatly lacking/needs more backstory explanation? I ask mostly because, well... I did pass out halfway through posting it, probably forgot things in the process.

Also, I second Frostgiant's question.

Nope, they're awesome.  Gonna have a hard time picking who's in at this rate.  :B
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:43 pm »

Hmmmm, I have an idea for a trait actually. I want my birds to feel more samurai and closely knitted with blood in their veins. A large portion of their society is focused on sacrifice and honor, like the Bushido code. Could something like this work @Iituem

Blood Sacrifice: This society has developed close religious ties with sacrifice and blood through their own development. You can sacrifice population or slaves to the gods for mana.

Would something like this cost 1 point?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 09:13:40 pm »

Hmmmm, I have an idea for a trait actually. I want my birds to feel more samurai and closely knitted with blood in their veins. A large portion of their society is focused on sacrifice and honor, like the Bushido code. Could something like this work @Iituem

Blood Sacrifice: This society has developed close religious ties with sacrifice and blood through their own development. You can sacrifice population or slaves to the gods for mana.

Would something like this cost 1 point?

No, but if you really want it's something that you can research.  Sounds like a necromancy ritual to me.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 10:40:04 pm »

Alright, finished my sheet. A lot different to what was posted there initially but this should be solid.

Also, I'm pretty surprised about how many players are taking doomed races to the point of it seeming to be the norm.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »

Alright, finished my sheet. A lot different to what was posted there initially but this should be solid.

Also, I'm pretty surprised about how many players are taking doomed races to the point of it seeming to be the norm.

ya, makes me wonder if a rush build without Doomed might work if almost everyone is taking doomed. Pioneer?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:46 pm »

Doomed starts with 5k pop instead of 10k pop.  It's a bigger handicap than you think in the early game.  But yes, a non-doomed colony rusher with Pioneer could probably claim a goodly chunk of land early on.  Then again, turtling and building tall should work in this game, within limitations.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 10:54:13 pm »

I'm interested to see what the mix of aquatic to non aquatic will be, are the ratio of land to water going to be based on who is what races? Or is the map already set? If we have like, only one water race in a world with a big sea, they could have a pretty big and incontestable advantage.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »

@Iituem can you Take Fleet and ponderous at the same time? You can't Get any mounted forces with ponderous but does it prohibit Fleet to? Just checking, I'm doing some re-evaluating for the wolves.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 11:02:53 pm »

I nearly went with doing funny things with expansionism, stability, and water, but nobody likes kudzu civs so I felt it was too dangerous.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:56 pm »

@Iituem can you Take Fleet and ponderous at the same time? You can't Get any mounted forces with ponderous but does it prohibit Fleet to? Just checking, I'm doing some re-evaluating for the wolves.

Fleet basically turns all your units into cavalry, and Ponderous prevents you from raising normal cavalry so... no, they're mutually exclusive.  Either you're slow and unsuitable to charging around, or you're centaur-speed (or neither, obviously).

I'm interested to see what the mix of aquatic to non aquatic will be, are the ratio of land to water going to be based on who is what races? Or is the map already set? If we have like, only one water race in a world with a big sea, they could have a pretty big and incontestable advantage.

Map is set.  There are 236 territories in the game, of which 48 are aquatic (sea territories are larger, both for travel ease and because for game abstraction reasons we're pretending the density of edible life is lower compared to land - but mostly because travel speed).  Terrain types included are plains, forest, hills, mountains, desert, arctic and sea.  More than that you'll have to find out by exploring.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:27 am »

I've got a sheet partially done. I need to finish the leader biography and the traits are all a work in progress right now. The Nation Description is also quite a bit shorter then I planned, but idk if I'll expand it. The religious section might do well enough to give an idea of their society. Despite being so unfinished it's pretty late here and more and more grammar errors and typos are making their way into it, so I though I'd go to sleep and finish it when I wake up tomorrow, and I might as well throw it up to see if the GM has any comments.

Spoiler: The Virtuous Lands (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:33:59 am by Criptfeind »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:08 am »

That's really detailed.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 03:03:35 am »

So I was looking over the Buildings list on the front and I've decided to change the wolfos's Red thumb trait to hungry, in order to grab the armorer cultural trait. This is because of two reasons.

1. So many of the buildings demand tools, like most of them including slave buildings.  No other demand is as prevalent in the front page buildings except mounts to a lesser extent. So Tools are really important to grab early and without being an Idea specced race I don't feel like I want to waste many of them on the basic's if I can help it. Especially because while I start with a shrine, I don't actually have the tech from not taking faithfully to Build more of them. so I'll be stuck with the mana income of a sorcerer for a little while.
Tools are in demand by almost every building, so I don't feel bad grabbing that.
Hopefully, Between slave plantation with tools, I will be able to offset hungry, especially if I can grab another race with Green thumb *eyes other races*

2. Its a choice I can make without changing my Wolfos's backstory too much, Just making the task of metalworking a bit more important culturally. So I don't have to change my lore.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 03:44:31 am »

Nation Name: Purrsia

Starting Government Form: Aristocracy

Leader Name:Sir Cali of Co

Leader Traits: none.

Leader Biography:  (Doesn't need to be long, but a fleshed out character will help here.)

Race Name: felis castus, aka mage's cats.

Racial Traits: frail, Ponderous (they can't ride other animals), Fleet, dull, Cack handed, Short lived, fast breeders, Doomed, Client race(humans) armourers, Warriors.

Race Description: they're cats. Talking, magical cats.

Nation Description: it's a nation of cats with magic powers. Not much to say, though most of the work is done by their human tenders.

Name of your capital: Alleys town

Name of the region surrounding your capital: The hunting grounds
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2017, 03:50:29 am »

Nation Name: Purrsia

Starting Government Form: Aristocracy

Leader Name:Sir Cali of Co

Leader Traits: none.

Leader Biography:  (Doesn't need to be long, but a fleshed out character will help here.)

Race Name: felis castus, aka mage's cats.

Racial Traits: frail, Ponderous (they can't ride other animals), Fleet, dull, Cack handed, Short lived, fast breeders, Doomed, Client race(humans) armourers, Warriors.

Race Description: they're cats. Talking, magical cats.

Nation Description: it's a nation of cats with magic powers. Not much to say, though most of the work is done by their human tenders.

Name of your capital: Alleys town

Name of the region surrounding your capital: The hunting grounds

Ponderous and Fleet are mutually exclusive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17