Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85563 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #525 on: December 31, 2017, 11:58:55 am »

Do we need to distribute token NOW or we can wait till reaction phase?

You can wait till reaction.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 31, 2017, 03:46:44 pm »

I really don't get why people don't think an airbase is an airbase. Basically all of its facilities are about supporting aircraft, making new aircraft because we're soon hitting the point where we'll be making all the craft ourself if this was an actual xcom game, repairing aircraft, rearming aircraft, and so on. Hell, it even says so in the description. What part of 'its primary function is to serve as a amplifier to XCOM's air wing capabilities' is unclear to people?

Really, I based my base design off the design of my larger airbases in my actual XCOM games. If it was airplane focused in the actual game, why wouldn't it be airship focused in the armsrace?

An airbase has advantages. I am not convinced it will be as defensible, but it will be cheap VP.

It should be undetectible. Routine airbase traffic will be a cover for our own. There may be political benefits to getting in close with the South American military.

It is aggressive expansion, and I like that.
It's neither aggressive or undetectable. There's no way some south american airbase is going to be flying our super-advanced best in the world planes anytime normally, even before we start upgrading to flying saucers of our own, which we will eventually. And people watch airports already. Hell, even normal planespotter type folk might figure out something is screwy about that base just from going 'huh, I do not know what that plane was' even if people don't start wondering why those combat damaged planes are landing there. We don't need to attract the crazy people that Area 51 does. As for aggressive... how is sticking a few of our planes on a mundane airbase with a basic bare bones workshop to do the needed supporting and supplying aggressive in comparison to an actual proper xcom airbase again? That just sounds suicidal to me.

The political benefits part... that's a maybe if we roll well enough, sure, but how useful are mundane fighter planes going to be when our shiny fancy ones are having so much trouble? Increasing inter-Agency teams would be useful, yah, but I highly doubt we'd get that from liaising with someone's air force.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:16 pm »

What part of 'its primary function is to serve as a amplifier to XCOM's air wing capabilities' is unclear to people?
That part that includes a lot of stuff that any other X-COM base will have, too. Lab, barracks, workshops...

Really, I based my base design off the design of my larger airbases in my actual XCOM games. If it was airplane focused in the actual game, why wouldn't it be airship focused in the armsrace?
So you admit that it just another regular X-com base with more attention to Airforce than usual? Just more hangars, less labs. It is a regular base with a different set of priorities.

as for aggressive... how is sticking a few of our planes on a mundane airbase with a basic bare bones workshop to do the needed supporting and supplying aggressive in comparison to an actual proper xcom airbase again?
What? Are your implying that your version of the base may produce another magnitude of results just because it worded differently? Are you serious? I deny to believe that game can be so awfully balanced

It is more aggressive because it is specialized (not focused) on fighters (not even airforce, it has no need in Skyrangers) and getting allies in Earth air-forces unlike the base that focuses on getting more of everything (with more of aircrafts) for a long game. You won't get more stuff simply because your base is bigger in description. It will be balanced by either difficulty levels of the roll or downgrading expected result by the GM.

Speaking about difficulty, I expect my design to work on 4+ roll. Can you say the same about yours?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #528 on: December 31, 2017, 04:59:10 pm »

I see the value of both sides. I am just playing the middle.

My wishes are simple:
•Focus on harboring our aircraft
•Specifically state is to be presented as SA Goodwill/dedication gesture
•Cannot be revealed as XCOM base with a free sensor sweep by enemy.

Aggressive, is making a lightly defended base with high VP potential.

Defensive, is building a base from scratch, then sprinkling VP on top of that endeavor.

I was initially defensive minded, but we simply need to take risks to turn the tide. Lest we have a shiney new base in a continent we are locked out of.

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 31, 2017, 05:32:34 pm »

Quote from: BOX OF DEADLY NITROGEN GAS
Design
Happerry's Argentina Outpost (4): Happerry, Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Blood Librarian
X-Com base South (3): strongpoint, Cnidaros, roseheart

Resource Point
EP (2): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian
UP (1): roseheart
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:50:23 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #530 on: December 31, 2017, 06:29:05 pm »

Blood/Chief, we have had issues with not enough troops, not lack of firepower.

The railguns costs 1 point, that is incredible. Consider how effective it is. Also, we spent a design and a revision on it.

Also consider a EP WILL NOT help us this turn. But being able to swarm or spread out most definitely will.

Notes :

* Performance of the Raven was subpar to expectations, perhaps due to suprise of the new alien fighter
* The railgun works very well against the aliens, especially at long range. With modest air support, luck, or more units, we could won here.

Tangental thought: couldn't we just stick a homing device to a retreating drone? Maybe a research point if we capture one.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:45:24 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 31, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »

Weren't you the one who very loudly complained about using shortsighted strategy, roseheart? The vote for EP is for more than just this turn. Voting for UP is shortsighted. Having three EP severely restricts our options. Again, if we developed armor, then we wouldn't be able to field both armor and railguns.
Near best case scenario, armor costs 1 EP. Railguns cost 1 EP as well. If we have four units, we wouldn't even be able to equip them all with railguns, let alone armor. Then we'd have to field four Skyrangers just to fly them.

Then there's also the point where we weren't restricted by our lack of UP at all last turn. We were restricted because we could only afford to send one Skyranger along with our three ravens.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #532 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »

First, let me get this off my chest(as I already wrote it):

Something else: we have no mission types but response. Litterally, the enemy plans something, and we stop it, if we succeed. We are focused on filtering out failure, but not in seizing success. We need our own missions, panic reducing or intel gathering.

Shortsighted strategy is indeed an oxymoron. Tactics and Strategy literally are two parts of the same coin, don't let someone tell you different. They are just big and small. The strategy of a battle is the tactics of a war.

Then there's also the point where we weren't restricted by our lack of UP at all last turn. We were restricted because we could only afford to send one Skyranger along with our three ravens.

No, we chose poorly is all. Down and Capture allows us to wait to send Skyrangers. And as stated by GM more troops would have won.

The battle has grown beyond 3 units. Until we revise Combined Arms to allow(excuse me why stop myself from laughing..........ok) our ravens to wait for the UFOs to land first, they are pretty much grounded.

That frees up a lot of SkyRangers.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 31, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »

You seem to be missing my point, roseheart.

Yes, we were outnumbered last turn. That was a problem.
But it was not a problem caused by our UP. If we used all of our UP, we would have won the ground battle easily. We would have outnumbered them. UP is by far not the problem here. We don't need more UP because the supposed problem you want to solve with it is nonexistent.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #534 on: December 31, 2017, 07:00:42 pm »

No I am totally all for it.

But we should buy bigger pants only when our current ones are too tight. Which they are not.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 31, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »

What part of 'its primary function is to serve as a amplifier to XCOM's air wing capabilities' is unclear to people?
That part that includes a lot of stuff that any other X-COM base will have, too. Lab, barracks, workshops...

So you admit that it just another regular X-com base with more attention to Airforce than usual? Just more hangars, less labs. It is a regular base with a different set of priorities.
...Look, at this point I have to ask you this. Are you actually reading what I write? How the hell do you manage to translate 'its like my normal airbases' mean 'its like a general xcom base'? Actually, have you, like, even played OldCom? Ever? Base specialization is a thing, you don't just build each base to do everything even if they share some components. There's a damn big difference between an airbase, which can have like five hangers, a generalist base which usually tops out at three, and production base which probably still has at least one because you need an empty hanger to build aircraft. But its still gonna have at least one barracks, because five hangers worth of stuff is a lot of expensive shit to loose automatically because you didn't have any garrison to defend it when a battleship comes knocking, they're gonna have storage facilities because you need to have someplace to, idduno, actually have ammo for your craft, they're probably going to have a workshop to make more ammo (granted, most of my play is from the final mod pack for open xcom these days, where ammo is more of a concern then normal because there's more mid level aircraft weapons that need you to build ammo, but even in the base game fusion balls need building when you use them up, and given we seem to be going railguns instead of lasers we're probably going to need to make ammo instead of just recharging a battery), they're going to need radar buildings, and so on. I also don't see how a basic 'look at what we scavenged and catalog it' facility is somehow making the outpost a research base when we aren't limited to a games 6x6 base grid any more.

If you want to argue against my designs, could you at least bother to actually argue against what they have and are described as?

as for aggressive... how is sticking a few of our planes on a mundane airbase with a basic bare bones workshop to do the needed supporting and supplying aggressive in comparison to an actual proper xcom airbase again?
What? Are your implying that your version of the base may produce another magnitude of results just because it worded differently? Are you serious? I deny to believe that game can be so awfully balance

It is more aggressive because it is specialized (not focused) on fighters (not even airforce, it has no need in Skyrangers) and getting allies in Earth air-forces unlike the base that focuses on getting more of everything (with more of aircrafts) for a long game. You won't get more stuff simply because your base is bigger in description. It will be balanced by either difficulty levels of the roll or downgrading expected result by the GM.
Bigger bases are better. It's just a fact of XCOM, because more stuff almost always equals better in basically any game. I'm not sure where you got 'a magnitude' from, and would prefer debating without hyperbole, but A, I'm still not convinced that having allied native fighters would be worth anything besides firesoaks, which we were already told was the kind of thing that would make people not want to give us reinforcements, and B, I still fail to see how adding a few minimally supported fighters to someone else's airbase is supposed to be more aggressive then a properly supported air outpost. I'm not even convinced that 'go slap a raven and a basic workshop into someone else's military base while trying to convince them to let us use their fighter planes in combat' will actually be easier then making our own proper outpost, given the politics of the issue, the secrecy issues both in adding our stuff to a national airbase without revealing ourselves, the need to brief national pilots about this so they'll actually be useful, the need to keep the public from noticing our planes in a public national airbase, and that's before we get to the stuff you had about adding pilots school/training facility to someone else's air base which wouldn't be a minor thing in and of itself. If we want a pilot training academy we really should spend a proper action on it as the new thing it is, instead of trying to fit it into something else.

Speaking about difficulty, I expect my design to work on 4+ roll. Can you say the same about yours?
No, but then, I don't expect your base to work on a 4+ roll either, so...

Quote from: Votebox
Design
Happerry's Argentina Outpost (4): Happerry, Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Blood Librarian
X-Com base South (3): strongpoint, Cnidaros, roseheart

Resource Point
EP (3): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian, Happerry
UP (2): roseheart, Blood_Librarian
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 31, 2017, 07:13:59 pm »

To follow on your analogy, roseheart, our pants are too tight. Any more stretching - which will happen very soon and is necessary - and they'll just no longer fit at all. Then we'll be caught without pants as we go to buy new ones. Or we could buy new pants now - even though our current ones still technically fit for today - and not have any of those problems.

We don't need UP now or in the near future.
We do need VP, but we're already devoting an entire design to that this turn.
We need EP. It may not be immediately useful this very turn, but it'll be extremely useful every other turn.

I don't get why you're being so willfully shortsighted all of a sudden.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #537 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »

There is no situation in which 4EP can be used next turn.

There may be uses for 4UP. Sending two teams of 2 to two locations is very likely going to sound swell.

However even with the air focused base, I suppose extra VP wouldn't hurt.

You want to build up. But I believe to win we must build out. That is a big planet, lot of places to be, and things to do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:33:33 pm by roseheart »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 31, 2017, 07:26:10 pm »

Let me repeat what I said:
I don't get why you're being so willfully shortsighted all of a sudden.

We're not talking about next turn.
More UP may help us next turn but won't have a notable impact beyond that.
More VP would help, but again - we're already dedicating a design (two total and the VP token we used on the Skyranger) on it.
More EP won't help us next turn, but it will help us immensely beyond that.

Why are you so fundamentally unable to see the impacts of these things after just next turn? Right now, designing new equipment is next to useless because it'll have to replace railguns. If we ever design armor, then we won't be able to give our soldiers armor and railguns. It'll have to be armor or railguns.

If numbers won the battle, then XCOM - the elite small task force - wouldn't be necessary instead of the combined militaries of the world.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:21 pm »

More EP points will definitely help in the future, when we want to do things like give infantry railguns AND a stun weapon AND armor AND stuff like 'hull breaching explosives' to bypass those energy airlocks we couldn't pass last time AND stuff like 'Anti-Sectopod Heavy Weapons like Rocket Launchers or the railgun version of a Heavy Laser or something'. Plus other stuff depending on what we make. Mind Probes will probably be added to that list eventually too...
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 76