Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85489 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #495 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »

We have never lost an airbattle due to lack of firepower.

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14:40 am »

We could win way more battles if our missiles hit more often. And it’s pretty naive to think they’d stop their ECM at “occasionally works if they focus”.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2017, 12:23:22 am »

When we are being surprised before we can get a target lock, that issue is mute.

What I'd like to know is, the scope of this game. Really, if they found our base, I think that would be game over.

Is it possible, they are just as vulnerable? What are we doing to strike our enemies weak spot? Nothing.

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2017, 12:36:34 am »

If they find our base, they can likely design a mission to invade it then dedicated to invading it.
However, we would have a very substantial bonus in defense. It’d be the exact same thing if we found their base.

Right now, I’m certain it’s not worth it for either side to spend time and actions looking for and trying to invade the other’s base. We have only a minor advantage on ground (when not outnumbered) and they have a minor advantage in the air. The time a side takes to find and get ready to invade the other’s base leaves the enemy open to catching up in advantage, then the attackers would have to overcome the enemies’ defensive base advantage as well.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2017, 01:38:08 am »

What does your checklist to defeat our enemy, look like?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2017, 01:54:32 am »

If I had to make a checklist (I think this kind of thing is much better dealt with on the fly), then it'd be:

1.) Gain notable advantage over enemy - one that at least can't be overcome with a single 8-rolling design and revision.
2a.) Find enemy's main base. This is probably best done along the way and as an intentional side effect - we'd be better off doing getting lucky and getting the location when interrogating an enemy, or getting its location as a side effect of some new sensor technology. Etc.
2b.) If needed, ensure we have the transport craft able to reach the enemy's base. Like how in X-COM UFO Defense you need the Avenger in order to be able to send troops to mars, where the aliens' base is.
3.) Create mission type to invade enemy's base. Could maybe be a revision. Just "send our stuff to their base."
4.) Execute mission with all our available assets.

The exact requirements to win the game may be different if ebbor's doing something unique (and there will most definitely be complications because you can't just perfectly predict how an AR will go), but this is the by far the most logical way of interpreting XCOM games into AR rules. In all four "main" XCom games (UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep, XCOM:EU, XCOM2) you do the same thing - you fend off the enemy until you figure out where their base is and you grow strong enough to invade it.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2017, 02:36:51 am »

We have a kind of HP I do not see on the enemy side, the panic world map. I agree interrogation and maybe sensors(where are our satellites? I remember those being important in-game) will be important landmarks on our roadmap. Superiority is an ideal situation, I don't think this game will naturally flow there.

Realistically, if I want to imagine a scenario where we've won, any superiority we get will be fleeting, an advantage our enemy could take from us, but we pushed when we had it.

I believe we should interrogate and dissect our foe, now. It will get us moving in the right direction.

Our railguns are effective. If we storm them with even or superior numbers we can take prisoners. If we are ready to proceed.

Alien Containment and Arc Thrower

We simply do not know our enemy, especially their telepathic abilities.

If we capture 1 we can study it to better understand what we are dealing with. (We need to go down this route earlier, rather than later)
Stuns organic and mechanical targets. Highly effective but short range. The containment is specially designed to scan all their passive vitals and activity of living subjects. Durable, secure, inescapable.

We can also spend our Revision mounting these on production military drones. That, along with our drone detecting scopes will help us get the jump on mechanical and telepathic soldiers.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:31:42 am by roseheart »

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 30, 2017, 05:44:06 am »

Quote from: box of votes
X-R drone (1): strongpoint
roseheart's Argentina Outpost (1): roseheart
Happerry's Argentina Outpost (1): Happerry
Thunderbird Alloy Interceptor (2): Chiefwaffles, Stabby
X-Com base South (2) :strongpoint, Cnidaros

I don't think upgrading an interceptor is worth it if we have no tokens to spend. Either way we're quite screwed from spending both tokens on ground stuff last turn. I would suggest going all Skyranger next turn and swamping them when they land. Unless that new UFO is a dedicated fighter and just keeps patrolling around the landed UFOs, in which case welp.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 30, 2017, 06:00:01 am »

You know, I think we are playing too fair with Aliens. HEAT warheads in Avalanche? Why not use the most powerful weapon humanity already has?

Landslide
Landslide is a second generation of X-COM of air to air missile. There many differences in missile design comparing to Avalanche. The most important change is the world smallest 15kg nuclear warhead. Also, it got a new generation of on-board electronics which is better isolated and powered by a miniature Elerium element. Missile is made lighter and its rocket engine is improved with the help of new materials learned during development of XH. Landslide has both impact and radio proximity fuse allowing it to work on near misses.

I would suggest going all Skyranger next turn and swamping them when they land. Unless that new UFO is a dedicated fighter and just keeps patrolling around the landed UFOs, in which case welp.
First, it is an overreaction. Second even if we'll get forth UP, we can use only half of our VP on Skyrangers. There are no reason to not send 2 Ravens against any opponent. Look. If we were a tiny bit more lucky and severely damaged one lander, this could be a victory

Anyway... Just saying...  If my version of new X-Com base will win... and need no  urgent fix via revision, I'll 100% propose several of Raven revisions(and will vote for one of them) to improve effect of the new base and benefit from cooperation with another air force. I hope that the way I do the base will give some bonus for aircraft research.

Quote from: vote box
roseheart's Argentina Outpost (1): roseheart
X-Com base South (2) :strongpoint, Cnidaros
Deleted the drone. It may be too fancy too really work and I want to try an X-COM base more
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:27:47 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #504 on: December 30, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »

Trinity Airbase (XCOM south base front)
On the first glance this base is nothing but a mundane air base of Argentinian air force located near the border with Brazil. But it is different. One of its hangar hides X-Com aircraft. It's radars are modified to detect UFOs. Its ground to air missiles are upgraded using technologies similar to ones used in Avalanche missiles.
However many facilities are extended underground for easier defensibility and more working area. As well they are all connected underground to avoid the need to carve potentially revealing paths between the buildings. While the outpost does have a basic laboratory facility for examination of battlefield gleanings, its primary function is to serve as a amplifier to XCOM's air wing capabilities, and as such the majority of its space is dedicated towards hangers for XCOM craft, workshops to maintain and build more craft, and a few barracks so the Skyrangers will have soldiers to deliver.
This will be presented as an act of good will to our South American council member, and our dedication to their region.

Addit:
[Expands the] InterAgency Cooperation Teams [to this area of the world.] Right now we only get free transport for them in NA and Europe, and it'd make sense for a base in SA to easily set up the logistics/relations/whatever for the free transportation to also apply to SA.

Arc Thrower and Containment (1): roseheart
X-Com base South (2): strongpoint, Cnidaros
Trinity Airbase (1): roseheart

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:16:37 pm by roseheart »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 30, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »

Design
Arc Thrower and Containment (1): roseheart
Happerry's Argentina Outpost (2): Happerry, Chiefwaffles
Thunderbird Alloy Interceptor (2): Stabby
X-Com base South (2): strongpoint, Cnidaros
Trinity Airbase (1): roseheart

Resource Point
EP (1): Chiefwaffles
I'm also voting for the EP. Right now we only have three EP - meaning if we send three squads out on one turn, we can only give each of them one piece of "cheap" equipment. That's really not okay. This extensively prohibits us from further equipment development.

Also, Happerry, would you mind mentioning InterAgency Cooperation Teams in your base design? Right now we only get free transport for them in NA and Europe, and it'd make sense for a base in SA to easily set up the logistics/relations/whatever for the free transportation to also apply to SA.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 30, 2017, 09:06:32 pm »

Design's now been edited with a Liason's center for InterAgency Cooperation Teams.

Also, is someone gonna try making a battle report for that challenge?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 30, 2017, 09:14:40 pm »

Isn't it too early to decide how to spend our point? Don't we have some time till the end of the turn?

I still prefer my version of X-COM base because I think it is easier to build, have greater potential in case of unexpected boons and more focused on our current problem of lacking strength in the air instead of building another universal base with only slight differences to our main one. I believe that specialization is good, getting more of the same is less so.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2017, 09:43:27 pm »

They both involve reclaiming an Airbase. Yes the combined plan adds the underground component, but specifies it will grow overtime, and just have a small initial setup.

I would say the combined design, will quickly offer more VP, as it is literally a VP factory. So I don't see that.

I will look into the InterAgency thing.

Edit:
Added.

Also I recommend we do not make a new aircraft until we build this base.

Though perhaps as a revision if the base doesn't need it. Yet a aircraft factory(which any of these plans are) will aid aircraft development.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:00:29 pm by roseheart »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2017, 10:11:56 pm »

My problems with Trinity:
I don't really get the skeleton crew and compartmentalized construction part of it. It just feels like it intentionally hurts us so we can supposedly expand it later, but 1.) we should be able to do that regardless of preparing for it in a design and 2.) I doubt we'll ever really need to expand it if we're just using it for VP. Which I believe we are.
Also, the location (exposed airbase) is extremely bad for defense. Stealth is by far the strongest (and easiest) defense we could have. It more-or-less brings everything I dislike about South into its design.

My problems with South:
It's extremely indefensible. Aliens can already jam our A2A missiles. They can easily just blow it up from the air. They can quite easily find it. The modification of the radar to find UFOs is something I don't think we've done before (if we have; good, but there are still other issues), and again - the missile defense seems extremely lackluster. Especially when the base is barely hidden.
For comparison, in X-Com UFO Defense, TFTD, and Xenonauts (the only XCOM games with base defense), active base defenses like missiles and whatnot just add a chance to reduce the number of attacking aliens. If you really overinvest in good base defense, there's a chance of destroying the invasion force entirely. While the South base just has a missile battery and we know from experience that missiles both aren't guaranteed to destroy their craft and that their craft can now scramble missiles.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 76