Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: The Eternal Saga - Act 2: The First Era (Epilogue)  (Read 24251 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Eternal Saga - Act 1: Genesis of the World
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »

Yes but I didn't know you ascended from humans.

It's just surprising, you know? I'm not saying it changes how I view you or anything. (Maybe a little.)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2017, 11:42:27 pm »

*facepalm*
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2017, 12:05:58 am »

I am unaware of the nature of these interdimensional humans, but they sound quite endearing.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2017, 12:14:34 am »

Oh, they're pretty commonplace, actually. Your basic bilaterally-symmetric biped. No fur or feathers or anything like that. If you survive to the end of this universe and have to make your way Outside you'll probably see them in hundreds of worlds. From what I've heard, they were native to some old universe that happened to produce an unusual number of Ascended Ones, and a lot of them had too little creativity to think of anything else to make in future universes... so they just spread.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2017, 02:23:38 am »

Inspecting both the improved farmland and the beginnings of a fence, Shal turns to address her Keepers
It's an excellent start, I wasn't expecting you to begin work on a wall just yet, but very good work all of you.
Shal then points to one Keeper in particular...
Especially you Sammie! Fantastic work on the farms, you went above and beyond there! Now everyone, remember that your needs come first, alright? Keep it up, I'm proud of you all! ...Ah right, we'll have new visitors soon, be sure to let them know of where not to go!

Later that day,
Hmm... The possibilities of the future for the coffee plants... They are starting to point towards one ending... And the Tribe of Akrathh, with famine becoming more and more inevitable, although he has mostly headed that off, still, a bit more help will make that possibility all but impossible. Yes, I can accomplish both with the same trip, I believe.

And so, Shal sets off for the other regions of the world, with a sack full of Fossil Potatoes. She gifts a small handful to each of the Tribes of Fanelians as well as to the Spruces and Andilauss, with a very brief instruction of how to cultivate them. While on her trip, she gathers a few healthy Coffee Plants, explicitly going for those that are either mushroom free or who've started to have the mushrooms spread onto them, but not yet suffering from their presence. After quickly subjecting the fungus on the plants to the Burden of Time, she stores these plants in her sack. In addition, while visiting the tribe of Akrathh, she acquires a few specimens of Manna, although lesser in number to the number of potatoes given, the tribe is under threat of a famine after all.
Afterwards, she returns to the Blossoming Borderlands, and plants with her new acquisitions. And informs the Keeper's about the edibility of the Manna.

Right, now to do what I was planning to do... Well, here goes nothing..
Finally, settling into a comfortable sitting position, Power surges, and the mysteries of the Past are revealed to her as Shal looks further and further back, leaving no stone unturned in seeking answers to why there are Titan Corpses in the star, what exactly caused the center of the planet to be like it was, and was the abyss always there and we just didn't notice it?...

Minor Act: Create a Sack full of a small population worth of Fossil Potatoes, spreading them to the mortal tribes across the world
Minor Act: Bring a few specimens of Coffee Plants and Manna back to the Blossoming Borderlands, being careful to exert the Burden of Time onto any fungus on the Coffee Plants.
1 Power: Seek answers from the Past, primarily why there are so many dead Titans in the Prime Star, and the origins of the Abyss and the Planet...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:18:38 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2017, 03:11:37 am »

Turning from the divine conversation, Nefertem directs his attention to the Andilauss, asking them to mass together to hear him, and calls forward "the one they call Mad". He waits, and just as the Andilauss are beginning to murmur about what might be about to happen, he declares:

There are many forms of beauty. This is one of them. Nobody is obliged to pursue any particular form of beauty, but you are all allowed to pursue beauty as you best see it, just as Alor does. Encouraged, in fact. From this day forward, those who achieve great beauty will discover a new mark of my blessing... Of course, those who have not yet done so should not be jealous. Your potential is infinite, and I care for each of you.

Burning another act to supply two Power, Nefertem grants a permanent and hereditary Major Blessing onto all the assembled Andilauss, that any among them who might achieve a great work of beauty, which is considered to be such by at least one other mind, gain the ability to sprout flowers from their bodies which are styled after the individual's personality and react to the individual's health and emotional state.

I also wish to clarify a minor point of ambiguity in the law I left you with earlier. Nothing that an individual expressly wants and asks for can be considered harm, even if it would be harm when inflicted upon the unwilling. Those of you who choose to seek suffering are free to do so communally, although certainly not required. There are also other ways to turn actions that would be harm to the unwilling into beauty for those who wish for it; let me tell you about some of the practices I have seen elsewhere.

As a Minor Act, Nefertem explains to the Andilauss the details of tattooing, scarification, and body piercing, as practiced with tribal levels of technology. (I could explain those details if needed, but it's basically "sharp thing goes into skin, sharp thing sometimes has ink on it, sharp thing goes deeper if you want to leave a hole".)

Lastly, I have another gift for you.

As another Minor Act, Nefertem throws daggers of light into the ground and causes a small population of trees which he calls Laufbarkr to spring up around Andilauss territory, keeping them densest in the immediate vicinity but scattering them as far away as the daggers can reach.

Species name: Laufbarkr
Physical Description: Something like a squatter, thicker version of a mundane white birch. The outermost layer of bark is thin and papery, making an excellent medium for writing or drawing on; it can be peeled from the tree in great sheets, and will regrow (or, more precisely, the newly-outermost bark begins to shear into thin papery sheets as new bark grows outward from the inside) readily as long as the underlying wood is not harmed. In summer the trees also produce edible nuts which fall to the ground when they ripen; they also drop their leaves in the autumn.
Traits:
  - papery bark
  - edible nuts
  - deciduous
  - will yield high-quality charcoal once anyone has the technology to discover this
  - honestly pretty unremarkable
  - I guess they have nice flowers since the god of beauty made them

See the thin layers the bark of these trees forms as they grow? This can safely be peeled off once it has reached this stage, and will regrow in time. It is a fine surface to mark with colour, and you could even try devising symbols for the words you use and sounds you make, so that you can keep a record of the things I tell you and whatever else you might want to preserve. I encourage you to use your imaginations; maybe you could draw my shape as a symbol for "Nefertem"?

With the instruction out of the way, Nefertem contemplates one of his fellow gods. Shal, you really need to make a Realm, he says, throwing her three Acts so that she will have enough next turn.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:15:40 am by Maximum Spin »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »

Minor Act: Bless Shaloon with contractual longevity: the more Lung he is able to successfully teach his ways, the longer his lifespan increases.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »

Somewhere, on the outside of a new universe...

As traces of eldritch matter completed a long and arduous process of coalescing into a new being, an unknowable mind took form inside of it. Having long since shunned the Law of the Primordial on a conceptual level, this being begin to shape her very form. Shaping her form into something that can be considered to be a planet, this Other One begin to see for the very first time the infinitesimal void between universes and the hot core of a post-Big Bang universe, as eyes of various sizes not unlike those of tentacled sea creatures opened up on her surface. Opening her huge mouths, which bared teeth that wouldn't look out of place inside those of humans, she vomited wire frame streamers that were immediately caught by her gravity and shaped into four rings of various sizes with different angles of orbits around herself.

Once her true form was established, the Other One opened her mouths once more and gulped down the metaphysical traces of at least three concepts to incorporate into her being, concepts that may have either floated away from the denizens of populous universes or from the dying embers of dead realities. The concepts that propel those who aspire to improve themselves and their conditions and the concepts that allowed thinking beings both mortal and divine to store, understand, and utilize vast amounts of information were at her beck and call. However, what enticed her the most were the remaining concepts, the concepts that would allow her to see and manipulate the ebbs and floods of chance itself, to influence the odds and to determine the future through small acts in the present. Already, she can see the strands of fate forming in her psyche, ready to be pulled or pushed to increase or decrease the chance of events occurring respectively. Though she knew that she cannot cause major, reality-affecting events to happen or prevent their passing simply by manipulating their strands, she know that they are more or less influenced by the tinier strands that tie into them. No matter: even a tiny pebble can cause a great disturbance in a calm pond. However, if this ripple of fate isn't destined to happen then she will make it so.

As her first artifact, the Probabilistic Tessaract, formed next to her, the Other One remembered two similar beings. One of them is Elitholi, a spider-like being who dwells in the concepts that lead lesser beings to madness and to commit atrocities, not to mention the concept of the deepest darkness. The second Other One; however, is so big that she would essentially qualify as her own realm, bigger than even herself. Mavnon dwells in the concepts that hide information and bring about change. Though she is currently inside the newborn universe, the Other One is confident that Mavnon will let her cross into it. Even if she refused, she can sense other beings inside who are just as capable. After all, she is Reyginaga, the Oracle From Beyond, and all strands point to her arrival into the colorful reality of a brand new universe!

Present 5 Acts to cross over while Mavnon presents the other 5 to complete it. If Mavnon is unable/unwilling to help, another divine being is welcome to do so.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:20:00 pm by Sir Elventide »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2017, 06:38:47 pm »

A mocking voice lilts out from somewhere: Mavnon doesn't have five acts...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2017, 06:53:41 pm »

-snip-
Erin would approve, but he can't really help much at the moment.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »

Somewhere, on the outside of a new universe...

As traces of eldritch matter completed a long and arduous process of coalescing into a new being, an unknowable mind took form inside of it. Having long since shunned the Law of the Primordial on a conceptual level, this being begin to shape her very form. Shaping her form into something that can be considered to be a planet, this Other One begin to see for the very first time the infinitesimal void between universes and the hot core of a post-Big Bang universe, as eyes of various sizes not unlike those of tentacled sea creatures opened up on her surface. Opening her huge mouths, which bared teeth that wouldn't look out of place inside those of humans, she vomited wire frame streamers that were immediately caught by her gravity and shaped into four rings of various sizes with different angles of orbits around herself.

Once her true form was established, the Other One opened her mouths once more and gulped down the metaphysical traces of at least three concepts, concepts that may have either floated away from the denizens of populous universes or from the dying embers of dead realities. The concepts that propel those who aspire to improve themselves and their conditions and the concepts that allowed thinking beings both mortal and divine to store, understand, and utilize vast amounts of information were at her beck and call. However, what enticed her the most were the remaining concepts, the concepts that would allow her to see and manipulate the ebbs and floods of chance itself, to influence the odds and to determine the future through small acts in the present. Already, she can see the strands of fate forming in her psyche, ready to be pulled or pushed to increase or decrease the chance of events occurring respectively. Though she knew that she cannot simply cause major, reality-affecting events to happen or prevent their passing simply by manipulating their strands, she know that they are more or less influenced by the tinier strands that tie into them. No matter: even a tiny pebble can cause a great disturbance in a calm pond. However, if this ripple of fate isn't destined to happen then she will make it so.

As her first artifact, the Probabilistic Tessaract, formed next to her, the Other One remembered two similar beings. One of them is Elitholi, a spider-like being who dwells in the concepts that lead lesser beings to madness and to commit atrocities, not to mention the concept of the deepest darkness. The second Other One; however, is so big that she would essentially qualify as her own realm, bigger than even herself. Mavnon dwells in the concepts that hide information and bring about change. Though she is currently inside the newborn universe, the Other One is confident that Mavnon will let her cross into it. Even if she refused, she can sense other beings inside who are just as capable. After all, she is Reyginaga, the Oracle From Beyond, and all strands point to her arrival into the colorful reality of a brand new universe!

Present 5 Acts to cross over while Mavnon presents the other 5 to complete it. If Mavnon is unable/unwilling to help, another divine being is welcome to do so.

Reyginaga:
a delight!
A tea, a coffee,
A meth, a babe;
All things deserved...
and I, unable to serve.

As for your request,
I'd lovingly acquiese
But I lack the divine foodstuff
that we must so heartily,
release.

Apologies.

Support Reyginaga's entry.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:31:25 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2017, 08:40:26 pm »

An addendum to Nolei's command; With the souls of the Tribe of Harat, you shall take the ones who wish to be reincarnated, both their ancestors and the new-dead, and send them instead to the realm of Nefertem.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2017, 08:54:00 pm »

Reyginaga, I see a creature from the Otherlands seeks entry. I would be so obliged to allow and assist your entrance into this world for the cost of four acts. While this does not save you much, only one act, I offer my hand in faithful alliance so long as our goals do not directly conflict.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:37 pm »

Having secretly asked Niké for the spirits of the ancestors of the Tribe of Harat, Nefertem splits another Act and uses its Power to embody those spirits into an army of Lesser Servants, which he calls the Anteharat. The Anteharat have the form of glowing sky-blue orbs small enough to hold in the hand, although they can with slight effort change their shape and size. They can speak with the voices they had in life, dispensing wisdom and knowledge to their descendants, as well as enact minor blessings upon favoured individuals. Any Anteharat, however, who becomes filled with malice will change colour to a blazing red to warn the living to trust it no longer. Those Anteharat who wish for an even fuller return to the world are still permitted to partake of the reincarnation process (at the usual costs).

Nefertem brings the Anteharat to the Tribe of Harat, saying:
I am Nefertem the Long Deep, God of Light. I have seen that you wish to commune with your ancestors, and that you have previously come into misunderstandings related to this desire. I have decided to bless you with the spirits of those of your ancestors who wished to come, re-embodied. These spirits are indeed truly the souls of your ancestors, as you will discover by speaking to them. (You should perhaps not trust them if they begin to blaze red, however; even ancestors can become enemies.) From this day forward, those of you who wish to return to this world will find your souls directed to me after death, and I will permit you to be reborn in this way to see your descendants as well. I ask only that you remember my name. And know that Mavnon had nothing to do with this. Niké the Seasonal helped though, remember his name too I guess. I guess.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:00:53 pm by Maximum Spin »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2017, 09:39:18 pm »

Suddenly, Reyginaga heard several voices responding to her request to enter this reality. Though some stated that they currently didn't have enough divine act reserves to aid her, one of them offered her a chance to enter in exchange for an alliance of sorts. Focusing on him, she sensed concepts of life, undeath, and flying creatures associated with them. The catch was that she give his some of her acts. Though tempting, Reyginaga felt that she would need them for later. Needless to say, Reyginaga responded, her mouths speaking in succession:

"I hear you Lu and have considered your offer."

"It promises a quicker entry that requires a sacrifice."

"However, I must decline for now for I may need the acts later."

"Nevertheless, I'm still interested in joining your alliance."

"Such a proposition can strengthen our bonds and trust."

"May it be mutually beneficial."

"And ultimately satisfactory."

"As for you, Mavnon, it's good to hear from you."

"Good to have this discourse, Other One!"

"I foresee great things for us all."

Accept Lu's 4 Acts and use 6 Acts to enter this reality.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:19:49 pm by Sir Elventide »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25