Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 267782 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2017, 06:43:49 am »

Hobbits now have saltwater crocodiles to pull their wagons and ride into battle. Great.

As a curious side effect, their civ has manage to attract migrations of saltwater crocodile men three worlds in a row. Coincidence? Or have I discovered a way to guarantee civilization of specific animal-man pops?

--edit
Oh, I see what happened. The new creature_class I gave saltwater crocodiles copied over to the animal men variant (and giant saltwater crocodiles too).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:48:30 am by Shonai_Dweller »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2017, 07:41:17 am »

Hmm, interesting thing about the playable intelligent wilderness populations that are assigned as pets.

While you initially load up adventure mode, they wont actually be there as an option. However, once you play once from the civ that has a creature like that, they do seem to load up the next time around.
Odd. Perhaps they get loaded as livestock, but saved as citizens?
Seems to be the case, due to the "always pet" override. Without it, they wouldn't spawn in civ populations at all.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2017, 01:48:37 pm »

A semi-bug I discovered: If your modded race is unable to use a certain labor which is enabled somewhere in the default embark profile, the person who takes that position will have that labor enabled, invisibly, causing him to do stuff related to that labor, and you will be unable to turn it off.

For example: disable fishing in your modded race, and use the default embark profile when embarking as that race. Watch as one of your starting seven goes fishing.

I'm not filing a bug report on this because it only happens if you have a mod installed that can let this happen, but it's still something that's probably not supposed to happen.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »

Attempting to remove dogs and cats from a reptilian fortress race to replace them with their own more expensive reptilian equivalents, while still maintaining the usual pack animals.  Found a few things out:

• There does not appear to be an [ANIMAL_NEVER_PRESENT] tag.  Or at least it's not documented.  And never pet/pack animal/wagon puller does not cut it.
  • giving an animal natural swimming and climbing skill of 15 causes the legendary flash even on animals that can't learn.
  • Making an animal's scales equivalent to copper seems to make it nearly impervious to harm from other animals.  And quadruped gaits seem to be pretty darn fast even after attempting to make them 20% slower than normal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:58:11 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2017, 03:20:40 pm »

Have you tried [ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:<class>] to remove the creatures you don't want? That's how kobolds do it now.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »

Yea but I don't want to remove ALL mammals, and would like to do it without modifying the vanilla files too much, since it's a pita to manually edit them every new version.  I'll find a way to deal I'm sure.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2017, 05:28:40 pm »

Yea but I don't want to remove ALL mammals, and would like to do it without modifying the vanilla files too much, since it's a pita to manually edit them every new version.  I'll find a way to deal I'm sure.
Since dogs and cats don't occur naturally, doesn't banning them from being pets make them disappear?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2017, 06:26:32 pm »

They are still available on embark.  Since it's a personal mod I can just ignore them, but it makes me worry they may show up with migrants as well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »

They are still available on embark.  Since it's a personal mod I can just ignore them, but it makes me worry they may show up with migrants as well.
That's probably a seperate issue that needs dealing with. Kind of like being able to embark with 7 dwarves, when your civ only has a population of 1.

What's the actual cat population of your civ before embark?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

Attempting to remove dogs and cats from a reptilian fortress race to replace them with their own more expensive reptilian equivalents, while still maintaining the usual pack animals.  Found a few things out:

• There does not appear to be an [ANIMAL_NEVER_PRESENT] tag.  Or at least it's not documented.  And never pet/pack animal/wagon puller does not cut it.
Funny, I could pull it off myself. Did you plug up all the possible roles? Undoing the almighty [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag might need that extra work.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »

Ah I took off all the tags I thought were relevant to the animal, but I did not think to remove ALL those tags since some didn't apply.  Will try that.  Sorry for the derail!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2017, 10:57:36 pm »

Oh, very curious behavior. I banned hobbits from using mammals as wagon pullers, but made sure they had access to crocodiles (who now have wagon_puller).

Scrolling around the fortress embark map, depending on the location hobbits appear as 'no trade'. There's only one hobbit civ, so I guess this means it's properly checking the actual site for wagon capability as opposed to the civ as a whole.

One other thing I noticed, I found a location with two towers. One marked 'no trade' and the other not marked as hostile. So...should be expecting a zombie caravan this year.  :o

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:35 am »

I am currently working on the second to last part of the next release of my mod.  I have spent 4+ months adding new words from a certain defunct dictionary mod into my own mod.  Then I spent a few days adding in the words for hard-coded dwarf fortress things that are not in the original defunct dictionary nor in the raws.  Now I am onto the vanilla soft-coded stuff, this comes first because I want to make a vanilla expanded dictionary that is seperate from my mod, so that nobody else ever has to do as much drudgery as I have subjected myself to, for free ever again.   ;) :)

Once the vanilla softcoded stuff in, I add in words for my mods softcoded stuff and there we have the next release of Forgotten Realms Direforged.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2017, 02:30:02 am »

Something interesting you guys may like.

With the new civ-level animal tokens, you can essentially bring in additional citizens on embark if you give them a sentient race as a "pet". Unlike with SLOW_LEARNER ones from before 44, they can actually hold noble positions as well - as seen with the flamewaker militia commander - meanwhile the dire pale orcs cant, due to having that particular token.

Didn't think this'd be possible, I admit - gonna have to go back and add pet values to these so you don't essentially get additional, giant citizens for 1 embark point.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2017, 02:33:08 am »

That's interesting, I'll have to update my droids.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 121