Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40110 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #615 on: August 29, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »

Fine. Makes sense.

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (3) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint
Symbiotic Gene Tailoring (2) - kopout, FallacyofUrist

Basically, we're saying going straight to blood worms, awesome as they are, without first being able to modify the DNA of non-hive organisms, probably isn't going to work out well even with our shaper advantage. At the moment anyway, all we can do is modify microorganisms, not creatures as large as bloodworms.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2017, 09:31:04 pm »

Quote from: Vote
Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (3) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint
Symbiotic Gene Tailoring (3) - kopout, FallacyofUrist, Puppyguard

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »

Going for yet another intermediary tech seems excessive.

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (4) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint, 10ebbor10

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 29, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (5) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint, 10ebbor10, detoxicated

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (4) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, 10ebbor10, detoxicated
Skip design phase (1) Strongpoint

Symbiotic Gene Tailoring looks like something that can be done with a revision and I think that with no pressing needs for design, we'll benefit from several revisions more
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:28 am »

I am not seeing how Symbiotic Gene Tailoring could be a revision. It seems as though we are going from no ability to some ability, and that new things require designs. From what I know, what we currently have is the ability to adjust symbiont ratios, and possible incorporate foreign symbiotes, but actually modifying the critters was mentioned as being beyond us. If I am missing something then I would really like to know what it is.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2017, 01:25:58 am »

If we do farming, it should be mushrooms.

Mushrooms don't pick up food from sunlight, and as such are only minimally capable of yeilding energy.  You can't feed an army on decomposers alone.

I think I'd prefer gene tailoring, but getting units ready to win the seiges may be more important than either.  Symbiotic gene tailoring could lead to easy locusts, for instance, which could then be eaten by our other units.

Also, at some point a naval unit is required.  Symbiotes can do all sorts of strange things, such as producing compressed air for a submarine.  I would wager good money that the league would have no way of intradicting a submarine transport unit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:37:21 am by Devastator »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:21 am »

Gunbug

A much simpler variant of the Spitter which sees most development stop shortly after the larval phase except for the spitter sacks and armored top plating.  The creature has only very tiny legs which it uses to cling to the back of a host worker or soldier.  It has a fully functioning acid spitting system, but is blind and spits on command (of ultrasonic chirping or telepathy) from the host, who does the aiming.  Fortunately this means it rarely needs to move, so that the entire top of the creature is heavily armored like a soldier, giving extra armor for it's host.

While an obligate carnivore, it spends most of the time in hibernation, only waking up when fed by a worker before (and during) battle.  It has the same range as normal spitters.

Basically a shooty helmet(back plate) for our workers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:34:30 am by VoidSlayer »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2017, 02:45:29 am »

I dislike it being blind and immobile. At that point it feels like going out of your way to avoid having an automated turret...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2017, 02:49:39 am »

I dislike it being blind and immobile. At that point it feels like going out of your way to avoid having an automated turret...

But being immobile means it has less weak points in it's armor, it also removes everything else that is not just spitting.  We already enhanced our worker's eyes enough so they can aim it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 30, 2017, 07:12:17 am »

I think I'd prefer gene tailoring, but getting units ready to win the seiges may be more important than either.  Symbiotic gene tailoring could lead to easy locusts, for instance, which could then be eaten by our other units.
Hmmmm.

Future Design(once we have gene tailoring): Meaty Death Locusts: We've located a species of non-Hive insect called the locust. Using our genetic modification abilities, we assimilate locusts into the hive and modify them to fly further and provide more usable protein for those that would eat them(except non-Hive creatures, who get poisoned for their trouble). The idea is we manufacture swarms of locusts and use them to destroy our enemy's crops, then have them fly back and get eaten. Ideally, the locusts should be able to breed by themselves without needing a queen.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 30, 2017, 07:21:36 am »

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (4) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, 10ebbor10, detoxicated
Skip design phase (2) Strongpoint, flazeo25
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:21:45 am by flazeo25 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 30, 2017, 07:50:41 am »

Hmm...

Are we losing focus of what really matters right now? That being the capture of Nippi? You know, what will give us a 50% boost to all forces? I think we should use either a design to improve our large-scale critters (someone mentioned an improved circulatory system), or just save dice for a multitude of revisions- I'm thinking one to de-national-effort Spitters, one to cheapen Revenchers, and at least one to fix them up a little so they perform better.
Oh, and we need to save a die to redistribute our forces, beefing up the third front.

As such, for now I'm going to vote for skipping the design phase.

Skip design phase (3) Strongpoint, flazeo25, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2017, 08:12:55 am »

Quote from:  Bote
Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (3) - Draignean, 10ebbor10, detoxicated
Skip design phase (4) Strongpoint, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, Blood Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2017, 08:28:43 am »

Yeah think we should go full revision and create 4 revisions.

Heres some thoughts for what we could do.
(1) Upgrade all workers to new chitin if they havent already and possibly give them some other of our genes.
(2) De-nationalize the spitters and since they be de nationalized we wouln't need to readjust their fielding as they all end up on front 2 for that turn.
(3) Improve Revancher circulatory system or make their double segmented legs less complex such to cheapen them.
(4) Maybe wooden towers if possible for them to carry or fungiculture or more bio stuff.

Keep 1 die to readjust the fronts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:31:46 am by flazeo25 »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46