Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40112 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2017, 03:37:19 pm »

Suggestions for the Design Phase

Lamprey bug
This bug is the first member of our hive that can swim. Small in size and with as little of its body above water as possible, it should be quite hard to detect from enemy ships. Instead of the legs of our other bugs, it has fins that helps its movements in water. It keeps however 2 barbed arms that it uses to latch on enemy hulls. After latching on, it starts to chew through the hull below the water line with Emitic like grinding mandibles, making even a couple of those bugs deadly to an enemy ship if they can approach undetected.

A slightly modified version of andrea's idea from last turn, even a small fraction of our budget spent on these would allow us to strike at their supply lines and get us started on aquatic units.

Disrupter
A bug with a longer telepathic range, they broadcast psychic static on the human "channel" disrupting mages focus to ruin their spells and leading to a drop in effectiveness of other units as well.

Not only is longer telepathic range good for other things but this may open other avenues of subversive tactics.

Farming
Although still in the early stages we have begun to plant a portion of the seeds of plants we feed on and direct a portion of the workers to tend to them by removing less nutritious plants from the fields and fertilize the crops with our own waste. We have even started the process of artificial selection, though he humans have done much of the ground work on that already.

A relatively simple way to increase food production and possibly manpower cap, getting experience with artificial selection will help us in the future as well.

Trench and berm tactics
On the battle field workers dig simple trenches to hide in during the artillery phase to reduce casualties. by piling the spoil up the side facing the enemy with a shear side facing them and a sloping side facing us we further increases our defense and reduce the effectiveness of their cavalry.

I believe something a lot like this was posted by 10ebbor10 early on but out shown by other ideas, it is still a good idea though.

Symbiotic gene tailoring
Expanding on our Microbial Selectivity we can now influence the genome of our symbiotic microbes, although this is a largely conceptual technology, the ability to modify other organisms is a massive step in the direction of things like blood worms, carnivorous forests, and custom crops. 

Closed circulatory system
An improvement over our open circulatory system, especially at larger sizes. Not only would this make Revanchers far more effective I also expect an increase in the effectiveness of all units, especially Soldiers.

Long range eyes
By modifying our eye structure such that a single ommatidium is much larger and has a concave sheet of photoreceptors at the bottom like a retina and reducing the number per eye to only a handful we can make an eye which has a higher resolution at comparable cost to our current one.

Lancer
An anti-spearman unit, the lancer uses the same sort of legs as the hunter but only has four of them. The single pair of arms are long with the "hands" modified into a lance with a longer reach then a human spear. This spear is heavily reinforced and the joints on the arms are equipped with biological springs to absorb the impact without snapping. They are the same size as the Soldiers, a fact which reduces their acceleration but gives them far more momentum then the Hunters.

Possibly premature at this point, just throwing it out there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:53:50 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2017, 03:44:06 pm »

I am concerned that their increased spearmen supply is a prelude to phalanxes...
Spoiler: is this naughty? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:46:34 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »

I'm not.

Phalanx works against humans, not against us.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 29, 2017, 03:58:34 pm »

I'm not.

Phalanx works against humans, not against us.
They work best against humans, we would still take heavy losses trying to swamp them with simple "insect sea" tactics.
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »

How about some transportation? Our empire is growing larger and transporting everything on workers is not that practical. I think something like design below can work.

Wagons
Hive adopts its first major technological innovation: The wheel. Various types of wooden wagons are developed to aid in transportation of resources and troops. With no access to horses Hive uses its drones to move wagons both under and above the ground. Additionally, special semi-closed wagons are developed for spitters to increase both their mobility and their protection. (Design goals: increase food\timber\ore production, get a timber using variant of Spitter)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 29, 2017, 07:06:53 pm »

Quote from: rock da vuote my fellow squids
Dice 1
Symbiotic Blood Worms (1) - Blood Librarian

Dice 2
Keep (1) - Blood Librarian

Dice 3

Dice 4

Dice 5

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 29, 2017, 07:11:05 pm »

Doesn't a design take three dice?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 29, 2017, 07:12:45 pm »

I never realized that, editing to fix it.

Quote from:  mos accurate of  boats
Dice 1-3
Symbiotic Blood Worms (1) - Blood Librarian

Dice 4

Dice 5

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 29, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »

cheek pressure chamber
A pocket to hold more acid and pressurizing it more than its predecessor. By expanding and inflating the bags within the cheeks, the spitter can now decide to burst a big amount of acid for far distances or it can gulp up a rug of acid over a big close range area.

Handy digit apendages
Our workers gain six finger like appendages with which they can gather more aptly. The workers also gain the ability to hold human weaponry as well as creating better tools.

scissors
scissor appendages to cut spears.

I am tempted to vote for farming but the war goes on and we should secure the island first before delving into farming matter. I would personally like to see my hand suggestion as it covers many different tropes. First we learn to gather more which will aid us in all resource things. The ability to hold and properly use human weaponry will give our workers an edge in battle plus we get to experience human weaponry. This will boost tool research and since these apter hands can make better tools too we get quite many boons from this.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2017, 07:22:56 pm »

If we do farming, it should be mushrooms.

Quote from: I Ship RAM and Chiefwaffles
Dice 1-3
Symbiotic Blood Worms (2) - Blood Librarian, FallacyofUrist

Dice 4

Dice 5
We did do a bunch of preparation in order to get Symbiotic Blood Worms. I don't think we're going to get it all this turn, but it's a nice path to take.

Neurax Worms, baby.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 29, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »

This kind of format is unnecessary, there are no ways to spend dice 4 and dice 5 in the design phase.

Note, that we have effectiveness advantage from the princess and if you want to use it, then you probably should include it in your vote proposal
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »

Alright. Yeah, let's do this shit.

Quote from: I was the man who first shipped RAM and Chiefwaffles
Symbiotic Blood Worms (2) - Blood Librarian, FallacyofUrist
Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (1) - Draignean

Keep 2 dice - Blood Librarian, Draignean
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 29, 2017, 07:32:20 pm »

Quote from: I was the man who first shipped RAM and Chiefwaffles
Symbiotic Blood Worms (1) - FallacyofUrist
Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (2) - Draignean, Blood Librarian

Keep 2 dice - Blood Librarian, Draignean

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 29, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »

Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (3) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint
Choo-choo.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 29, 2017, 08:18:47 pm »

I don't think Blood worms are likely to work this turn. We don't have any ability to modify our symbionts yet, merely choose from existing species. If people want to advance on that front this turn that's fine but we should learn to walk before we try to run.
Symbiotic Blood Worms, with Shaper Advantage (3) - Draignean, Blood Librarian, strongpoint
Symbiotic gene tailoring (1) kopout
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46