Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40145 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:27 am »

Quote from: Votes
Boiler Adaptation (1) Blood Librarian
Hunter Caste: (2) NUKE9.13, strongpoint
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:52 am »

Dweller: A lite version of lost Burrower drone, the Dweller is variety of worker drone. It head has now shrunk back into it's segmented body, and it's limbs have now been pulled in much closer to body and barbs removed. It's middle legs serrated ridges have been made less flexible as been adjusted to dig through most things faster than any worker could. It's given up most of it's IR vision and compound eyes are of much simpler function than that of a worker. Instead it's antenna has become sensitive to ground tremors and noise allowing it get into position for ambushing enemy infantry.
The dweller main focus is on digging trenches and lying in wait underground to drag oncoming enemy's into it's prepared pits. It weak in open combat but hiding underground makes up for it.

I rather do like the idea of an ant lion. That being said...

Symbiotic Bloodworms
A new creature for the swarm, it's template structured based off of innumerable mundane parasites. It's life cycle is best described beginning with the pupae  (we'll cycle back around to the larvae in a minute), which can exist in a dormant state within the bloodstream of any of the hive's creatures. In their pupal state, the bloodworms have virtually no impact on a Hive host organism.

When blood is exposed to atmosphere and begins to congeal, this triggers the pupal bloodworms to finish their morph and emerge from their pupae as minute, sluglike creatures. On a Hive creature, these bloodworms are capable of distinguishing between living and dead flesh, and will exclusively chew away dead tissue in order to combat infections that would otherwise burrow under chitin and fester. On humans (and animals) the bloodworms are less discriminant, and will consume relentlessly, devouring soft tissue.

In this mature state, the bloodworms will go through to major reproductive states: asexual multiplication, and egg-laying. Asexual multiplication is achieved through what amounts to budding, where individual bloodworms will clone themselves in order to more effectively utilize any resources they have available. When the colony of bloodworms reaches critical mass due to clone population density, the bloodworms will begin the coagulate and merge into a peculiar structure, somewhat akin in profile to a dandelion with a full seed-head, except the stalk and head are constructed from toughened flesh. Sexual reproduction occurs and fills the bulbous head of the structure with bloodworm eggs, some of which will remain dormant, and others of which will hatch, pupate, and emerge to slither back down the bulbous fruiting-body and rejoin the main mass of adult bloodworms.

In this manner, bloodworms can spread across a battlefield, an unsuspecting human, or a wounded Hive Warrior in short order. In the case of the battle-field, which changes the landscape until the ground is covered with fleshy growths topped in spherical bulbs of bloodworm eggs. For the wounded hive warrior, this can result in odd-seeming growths sprouting from injuries. The purpose of these growths is to recycle nourishment back into our hive warriors (and drones, if needed). When the seed-head is ingested, the bloodworm eggs burst and hatch, the minute larvae wriggling into the bloodstream via the mucus membranes, and then pupate withing the blood, ready to begin the cycle anew. The fleshy seed-pod itself, however, is designed to carry a great deal of the material the bloodworms consumed, and is nutritious in its own right.

Of course, any animal other than a hive creature who consumes one of the bulbs will rapidly be filled with bloodworms, which hatch as soon as they've finished pupating in any substance other than the blood of a hive creature. The resulting infestation is gruesome.

tl;dr: Convert battle-fields into long term food storage and give our hive creatures infectious blood!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:52:13 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Too cool not to use, though I have doubts about complexity.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:48 am »

Too cool not to use, though I have doubts about complexity.

So do I, but we can go some fun places with this.

Symbiotic Bloodworm :(2) 10ebbor10, Draignean
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2017, 11:50:58 am »

Wonder if spitter could be modifyed later to shoot out worms.

Symbiotic Bloodworm :(3) 10ebbor10, Draignean, Flazeo25

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2017, 12:07:20 pm »

This Symbiotic Bloodworm is an attempt to get a very complex creature out of nowhere. We have nothing even remotely similar in our genepool.

Furthermore, if we want to recycle battlefields we can... you know... eat the remains directly.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »

Symbiotic Bloodworm :(4) 10ebbor10, Draignean, Flazeo25, Puppyguard
Blood worm sounds awesome.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2017, 01:21:22 pm »

Blood worm sounds awesome.
Blood worm sounds impossible. I can't even imagine what we can get for low rolls. Likely big huge nothing if not worse...

Also, it awesome concept but even if it somehow miraculously  works... is this effective at all?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

Guys. Guys.
Let's be serious.
Bloodworms are cool as all getout, but they are also an Impossible level design. We have nothing remotely resembling that. If you really want to get there, for the love of your choice of gods, start simple. Like,

Symbiotic Organisms: We use symbiotic bacteria to break down food. We got to wondering, are there other symbiotic relationships we could form that benefit us? Well, as it turns out, that mummified drone held the answers. There are- or at least, there were; we found traces of foreign dna within the dessicated corpse that belonged to a multicellular organism that existed in great numbers within the ancient drone. We approached the Queen, and asked her if she could replicate this feat. She mulled it over for a long time- altering the genes of non-Hive creatures is a tricky proposition. Eventually she decided that it would, in theory, be possible to splice Hive genes into foreign creatures, thereby allowing them to integrate with the Hive.
As a proof of concept, we altered some common parasites to exist harmlessly within a select number of drones. We do not expect them to do much, but we will learn something.
Goal: Basic Symbiotic Organisms
Harmless, albeit useless, creatures living within certain drones.
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »

The current problem with our army is we lack navalry based units, cavalry, artillery, and than traps. The idea of making a swarm of blood worms, is that the purpose of them is not worth the complexity level. I'd imagine if the penalty for bloodworms would be -2, so if we roll a 1(-2) designs than it would be so bad that it would probably have a negative penalty for trying to implementing them. If we can barely make our drones herbivores, than what is the actually feasibility of this design? The role as a scavenger could easily be done throng a revision, and a healing drone could be done through a design. We could even implement Hastended Regenerations, and allow our soldiers to regenerate wounds during combat. The Rule of Cool is the only thing giving it so much support, not much on actual feasibility vs. desired results. Anyway, We lack a form of artillery that could also serve the purpose as siege utility so let me suggest...

Bombardier: Utilizing the genome structure of our Spitters, the Queen has modified the genetic makeup to be streamlined and much more customizable for the Spitters Elites. These new drones serve the purpose of artillery through two methods. Two modifications to the neck and mouth barrel is developed, the necked is elongated and changed by the method of angular rotation. The neck lays at a 45' degree angle but the creature can adjust its carapace muscles and endoskeleton to change its degree of rotations to go over walls or close in its range against incoming enemies. The mouth barrel has further been extended for artillery and bombardment purpose, and more carapace muscles have inserted in to allow the acid plegm to be shot out further. The toxic plegm has also been under adjustment, and instead of been spraying pieces of acid that have a larger area. The plegm is concentrated to allow for more propelling force enough to allow it to crack stone and than dissolve the stone with its toxins. Like the current Spitter Elites, it has a limited visual range so it utilizes pure luck to hits it target except Infra-Red Spots have been adopted so that any incoming melee troops can be avoided.
Genes Utilized: Infra-Red Spots, Elite Carapace, Acid Glands
Genes Developed: Artillery Mouth Barrel, Rotational Neck, Concentrated Plegm

Boiler Adapation: (2) Blood Librarian, Shadowclaw
Symbiotic Bloodworms: (4) 10ebbor10, Draignean, Flazeo25, Puppyguard
Bombardier: (1) Shadowclaw
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:54:05 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:37 pm »

Design 1:
Boiler Adapation: (3) Blood Librarian, Shadowclaw, MonkeyMarkMario

Design 2:
Symbiotic Organisms: (1)MonkeyMarkMario

We have enough dice to do 2 designs and still have revisions, I suggest we use them.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2017, 02:32:41 pm »

You would add "No Design", in this phase. The idea generally was already to incorporate two designs in this phase that why their was no discretion about saving dice. The two designs would be the highest voted and the second-in-place for the second design. If you have 6+ dice their needs to be no discretion about whether a second design would be incorporated, it's just the first path take to have two designs so it didn't need to be discussed

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:03 pm »

Jammer
The jammer is a modified worker which has a longer telepathy range and is able to broadcast on the human "channel". Instead of coherent thoughts they send simple emotions such as fear (or potentially others if we want to make them surrender for example) and psychic static. This is designed to disrupt the focus of mages and other skilled combatants and drive slaves to flee.

Boiler Adapation: (2) Blood Librarian, Shadowclaw
Jammer: (1) kopout
Field Fortifications: (1) kopout
Symbiotic Organisms: (1)MonkeyMarkMario
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2017, 02:39:04 pm »

Boiler Adaptation: Our Spitters are strong enough already.
Bombadier: I highly doubt we'll manage to get artillery-ranged fire, or stone-melting acid.
Bloodworms: :/

You would add "No Design", in this phase. The idea generally was already to incorporate two designs in this phase that why their was no discretion about saving dice. The two designs would be the highest voted and the second-in-place for the second design. If you have 6+ dice their needs to be no discretion about whether a second design would be incorporated, it's just the first path take to have two designs so it didn't need to be discussed
Well, I think we should make it clear we're doing two designs, as it shouldn't be the case that having 6+ dice forces us to do two.
Long Live United Forenia!

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »

Guys on the Symbiotic Bloodworms you should switch to Symbiotic Organisms better chance to succeed and next turn we might be able to do Symbiotic Bloodworms with greater success with already having Symbiotic Organisms.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46