Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25688 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2017, 04:18:17 pm »

Let's do that now. They could break through this turn and start fighting for that.

We'll have at minimum next turn as well, the added reinforcements could allow us to hold the line just a little longer. And the extra timber in the meantime wouldn't help with new ships, as training is the bottleneck there.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32:37 pm »

I think I want to see how well transporting goes this turn, then reassign just what ships we need to front 1, +1 to account for growth.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2017, 08:28:49 pm »

We should secure that lumber, we can use it for more things then ships plus traing should gained more exponential y while lumber is more linear and harder to get so we should stay ahead of the curve.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:44 am »

We should secure that lumber, we can use it for more things then ships plus traing should gained more exponential y while lumber is more linear and harder to get so we should stay ahead of the curve.

The only other things we can use timber for at the moment are bowmen and ballistae, again, the thing that's holding us back is training, and our timber is at 1095/2100, and with 6 new transports per turn our rate of gain is only at +330 (we're losing bowmen faster than they can be reinforced, so they don't factor in at the moment). We will need more before we lose that source next to Nippi, yes, but that can wait until next turn.
And I've already mentioned that re-arranging how our transports are distributed might just let us stall their advance for a turn or two, especially if they re-allocate their troop distributions themselves to kick us off the front door of their capital. And Fleet One doesn't need too much more in the way of boats, but the other two are a bit more starved in what they need versus what they have...

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:46 am »

Iituem, is there a tech level you want us to stay at? Would crossbows be kosher in the current setting?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:55 am »

There is no hard and fast tech level; just look at Wands Race for an example of what happens when magic is included.  But if you try and go too far, too fast, you'll run into stumbling blocks - you can't invent rocket launchers without inventing a whole lot of other stuff first.

There seems to be a very slight voting preference towards colonising the forest.  I'll do the turn later today based on that unless anything changes.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2017, 08:57:12 am »

Strategy: Colonise Latadan Woods  [4]

Timber will no doubt be a long-term need for us, as we seek to bring more forces across the sea.  With this in mind, the Council has provided tools, supplies and tax breaks to those souls willing to settle the Latadan woods.  Several new villages have been established, and we can look forward to fresh timber arriving at our shipyards.

Year 302

For the first time since the Sack of Menotos, League troops have reached its walls.  They were expecting to find the population enslaved, or else to see grim standards of the impaled dead as a terror tactic (something the aphrokemae have been known to do in war).  Instead, as the army set up its ballistae to begin trying to knock down the city gates, they were greeted by silence.  Empty streets, no sign of slaves, no sign even of the dead.  No mass graves, no sign of pyres for burning them.  The realisation began to dawn upon the soldiers; the citizens of Menotos has been eaten, down to the last man, woman and child.  Even horses and beasts of burden were gone.

Then, as the archers moved forwards to begin firing on the handfuls of dark shapes that moved up from the very earth to begin repairs to the damaged city gates and walls, an unexpected volley answered in the form of gobbets of acidic phlegm - the spitters had been pulled back from the siege of Dromio to the Menoton walls.

The army laid into siege, firing artillery shots and taking cover when shooting at the repair crews with archers, at least during the day.  At night, their camps were assaulted by shadowy worker drones, laying ambushes or encircling isolated camps and attacking them, seemingly at ease in the near total darkness.

Eventually the skirmishes and long siege are too much and, after one last push to try and take the walls, the League forces are pushed back to Western Menotos.

The Hive pushes the League back out of Menotos.

The second front at Dromio sees the spitters pulled back to the Hive's city, but the Aphrokemae return and seem to be instrumental in holding the beleaguered fort.  The Hive does not prevail upon this front this year.

The third front at Antipholus is less successful, as might be expected, and the simple watchtower is overwhelmed by soldiers and workers, also employing night-based ambushes.  Despite a lack of obvious siege weaponry, the drones manage to latch onto the wooden palisade walls (albeit loosely) with the barbs on their limbs.  It isn't enough for a drone to actually climb the tower's walls, but it locks them in place and several dozen drones can climb onto one another, supporting themselves and 'locking in' with their limb barbs to form a living stepladder for the rest of the army.  The Hive seizes the watchtower for itself and pushes the front back to unclaimed land.  From their new coastal position, Hive scouts can spot the ships bringing Leaguish troops in from abroad; a mix of two-tiered oar-rowed galleys and single-deck oared/sailed galleys with wider bellies to accommodate more passengers.

The Hive occupies Eastern Menotos.

Credit!

The war on the 1st Front has resulted in some fairly extensive ballista bombardment, and has opened up a previously sealed part of the Labyrinth on the border between Menotos and its western provinces; about where the front is currently fighting.  Scouts report from both sides that the chamber is a tomb of an Archaean scholar or figure of importance, and may contain elements of her writing.  There is also proof that her favoured slave drone, a peculiar form of Hive worker, was mummified with her as a companion.

This presents an opportunity for both sides; the League might gain valuable magical knowledge from the scholar's notes, the Hive Queen could potentially extract lost genetic data from the mummified drone.  Right now neither side controls the tomb; the first to push the 1st Front, either towards or away from Menotos, will gain possession of the tomb and a Die Credit (that is to day, 1 extra die to roll in any phase).

Current Reinforcement Strategy:  We are reinforcing Front 1, Front 2, and Front 3 equally.  Front 2 is receiving our National Effort, the Aphrokemae.  Of the 11,388 men we can raise for war, only 4886 reached the front this year.  We have a total naval transport capacity of 1482 men, split between our three fleets.  Our three fleets are reinforced equally from our shipyards.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 302 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2017, 09:15:55 am »

We appear to be down an apprentice. We need a magical training school ASAP.

And the 3rd front gets sod all troops, it now has 4 hoplites and a Ballista, its going to fall.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:14 am »

Freedom for Service
Our slave soldiers are a constant drain of resources, not having the training or equipment to be useful, and having morale issues which ruin their ability to hold territory.
Under a new scheme, instead of conscripting slaves for the war effort, eligible slaves will be offered their freedom after the war concludes. Slightly less slaves might join the war effort, but this means the sub-par fighters will be staying at home to breed new soldiers.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:08:02 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:36 am »

We need to majorly change something soon, we're just getting overrun, probably the best we can do right now is to actually make our slaves actually worth something, I think.

Levy
Recent combat has shown that even the weakest of the foul insectoid menace can easily rip through our unarmed, unarmored, and untrained slave fighters. As a result, we have decided to finally do something about this. The Levy will be armed with a crude wooden shield that likely would only protect against a single hit (if they're lucky) from a 'Soldier' drone before shattering into splinters, a shoddy spear gathered from hastily made rejects and less successful apprentice work, and an absolute bare minimum of basic training conducted while still on the move with their new army (Said training mostly involves 'How to not stab yourself or the guy standing next to you').

Even though the Levy only carries extremely basic equipment and training, it'll still be a major step up in combat effectiveness for the formerly dubbed 'slaves', as they'll actually be able to fight back against the horde, instead of merely trying to stall it with their bodies praying assistance will arrive.

Alright, there's my proposal, I tried to make it so it would more or less let us keep an absolutely dirt cheap unit, but one that doesn't suck so much... To be fair, this was also built with the assumption that slaves are completely unarmed and more or less there to meatshield for our actual combatants.

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:04 am »

I'm surprised this doesn't have any sort of Discord yet.

Anyway, if we throw the elites and all at that first front, followed by almost every ship we can throw at it, we should be set to get that die credit.

We ought to make a stratagem soon. I'd vote for all-hoplites infantry, meaning a focus on deploying elite troops supported by heavy cavalry and large numbers of weak archers (To chew through the enemy's zerg-rush units before they reach the shield wall).

I like the free-the-slaves idea. Perhaps instead integrate it into a camp upgrade, where WILLING slaves are trained in the camps instead of being deployed as slaves? We could probably also kill corruption in the same design, since "Slaves in camps" seems a bit less than a full design's worth. Perhaps a revision to make a second-tier spearmen (Perhaps call them legionnaires? What's the Greek word for "spear", anyway?) unit with slightly better equipment.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2017, 09:51:01 am »

So.. we have production going towards mages and apprentices, but none have reinforced any lines at any point so far. Are we just..unable to train them? Do we need to devise and deploy a magical academy immediately?

Take note, Front 1 pushed, it had an apprentice. Front 2 buckled, but they had their spitters there, and front 3 got butchered, not even an apprentice there. Currently our mages are acting as a powerful force multiplier, and getting a few of those out may be the difference between losing Nippi, or not at this stage.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2017, 09:51:32 am »

The ships don't have much impact on the 1st front. More ships there is simply wasted ships.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2017, 10:05:29 am »

Crossbows are very valid technologically. They were used in 6th century BC by China and 5th century BC by Greece.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:03 am »

Anyway, if we throw the elites and all at that first front, followed by almost every ship we can throw at it, we should be set to get that die credit.

Doing this would give us a net loss in a die though, as reallocating everything we have would cost one, and setting it back the way it was would cost another. I don't think we can breach Menatos's walls either, even with an all-in, not without majorly changing something... Not to mention that we would be ceding ground on the other two fronts to the Hive if we do this and they don't follow (and if they do follow, it won't go well for us at all...)

Best option I see to get that die is doing whatever we think would best get us the upper hand now, but wouldn't be as fleeting as a simple redistribution of troops that would be reverted the next turn...

Still, regardless of the bonus die, we seriously got beaten badly this turn. Something needs to change now, before Nippi and Kysdessos are completely overrun! (The southern fort likely won't hold another turn under current conditions, and we've already lost the eastern one. I estimate 2 turns until they're at both cities gates, at this rate..)

(To Terenos, I think the success of Front 1 is that it has the full might of 2 cities backing it, in addition to the reinforcements that our fleet ships in, rather than the presence of apprentices... Still, working on magic for our design and shifting the budget towards mages would count as a major change occurring...)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:19:07 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30