Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 160068 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #660 on: July 24, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

50% Light Scouts Doctrine
The cowardly Kasgyr prefer to strike from ambush, and their ships are likely to do so at any time. In response, half of our fastest combat ships should be performing reconnaissance patrols around our fleets at any given time. Upon engagement, they should fire once (at the enemy ships, if they can safely do so) to sound the alarm, before falling back to the main force.

I was going to write up something like that but with our skiffs firing in the general direction of our fleet for the alarm (but obviously aiming to miss)
Anyway, this'll get my vote.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 24, 2017, 03:16:00 pm »

Hmm, yeah, that's really all we need to do, spoil their element of surprise. Sure, I'll vote for that.

Nobody has answered the question of what to do with our last die, though. Can we assume you are defaulting to saving it, or what?
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 24, 2017, 03:22:48 pm »

Quote from: Gauntlet Efficiency
By using better techniques for aligning the crystals, and a stronger copper alloy in the setting, it is possible to make a gauntlet will greater power efficiency.

This greater efficiency results in less waste heat for the same amount of power output, leading gauntlets to do more damage and fire longer before cooling is needed.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 24, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »

I don't care whether the last die goes towards gauntlets or a better fleet combat tactic. I don't want to save it this turn, since the only real reason to do so is for designs and we already have two pre-prototype projects going.

I'm not quite sure about the assumption that we're sending the prototype infantry-support cannon off. We do have that third transport, one turn out-of-sync with the others.

Question: Are revisions to a prototype counted into the diminishing returns of standard revisions?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:17 pm »

Think that'll double as allowing Select gauntlets?
If so it has my vote, along with scouts which seems like more of a revision
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 24, 2017, 03:37:02 pm »

Nobody has answered the question of what to do with our last die, though. Can we assume you are defaulting to saving it, or what?

If we spend it on revising the gauntlets to be more user friendly or having a better cooling system, we could then build 3 fire-teams worth of Itshana Select boosted gauntlets (while still repairing the transport at 3 Captains with 1 ore to spare)
That's probably still not enough for the biggest spiders, but it should help a lot more than just sending more pincushions. (At least the Pincushions are still usable here, so we're probably sending more pincushions anyway.) But suggestions on how to do this without kicking the gauntlets to 2 ore per fireteam (Itshana Select would already be +1 ore, we don't need another +1...) would be appreciated... (Remember, focus on the issues, the Itshana Select crystals already have power covered)

Glory to United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 24, 2017, 03:45:37 pm »

Hmm, yeah, that's really all we need to do, spoil their element of surprise. Sure, I'll vote for that.

I would propose researching 2 tactics.

One to counter their ambushes, the other to do something that the enemy has to counter. For example, a doctrine teaching our forces to effectively focus fire.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 24, 2017, 03:45:58 pm »

Question: Are revisions to a prototype counted into the diminishing returns of standard revisions?

Less than normal. There are no hard and fast rules on it, but generally speaking it's easier to fix bugs, less costly to modify features, but only slightly easier to add features.

In other words, sorta. Corrective measures are easier, but you'll still face diminishing returns if you just try and keep bunging features onto a nascent design by throwing revisions at it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 24, 2017, 03:46:20 pm »

Given that the gauntlets and our cannons share an issue (heat dispersal) any effort spent on fixing that for either is getting my recommendation. And given the gauntlets give our boots on the ground some much needed support against anything they face that is something to focus on.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »

:/

I guess a more powerful gauntlet might be able to scratch a giant spider. I don't like it, but I'm willing to go along with it.

Quote from: Votes
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvements & ?: (1) Madman
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Gauntlet Efficiency: (2?) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla (I think?)

I would propose researching 2 tactics.

One to counter their ambushes, the other to do something that the enemy has to counter. For example, a doctrine teaching our forces to effectively focus fire.
Our ships are already faster and more manoeuvrable than theirs. They need to counter that, and it'll take them a while to roll out the necessary changes.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 24, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »

I'll vote for the 50% scouts and more efficient gauntlets. Editing a vote box embedded in a post with lots of other stuff is simply too painful on a tablet though.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 24, 2017, 04:04:28 pm »

Aetheric Gauntlet Improvements & ?: (1) Madman
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Gauntlet Efficiency: (3?) NUKE9.13, milo, Jilladilla (?)

Links to revisions
Gauntlet Efficiency

Added links to things for convenience of GM/anyone who wants to quickly double check what's exactly being voted for. And milo's vote. Yell if I suffered a critical failure on reading comprehension and put you in for the wrong thing.
That said, I'm not sold on Gauntlet Efficiency... Would rather have a dedicated revision for user friendliness or cooling... But in an absence of other choices...

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 24, 2017, 05:17:42 pm »

Buddy system

Divide our ships in couples of two ships, each trained to operate as a unit. Both of them will operate together, focusing their fire on a single target. This should ensure that enemy ships are crippled or destroyed much faster as concentrated fire overwhelms their shrouds.
Do you think it will work as a revision? I'd like it this turn if we can handle it, but if we don't even have flag communications, and the extent of coordination we'd be able to manage is "follow the assigned ship and shoot what they shoot after they do," I worry that trying to fit it in as a revise would leave us with laggy, stiff formations worse than what we have now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 24, 2017, 08:04:26 pm »

I point out that the Gauntlet Efficiency is the same thing as AGI, except it makes no mention of fixing the accidental-self-burning function on gauntlets (Shooting them too much can burn the user's hand, quite easily).

As for the tactics, comprehensive does *not* mean complicated. It means "Affecting most/all things concerning whatever it is you're doing".

The idea is that using our superior mobility will let us get away with things we can't normally. Right now, we're just chasing the enemy and blasting him. Doing THIS, however, allows us to gain various tactical advantages across the entirety of the fight.

Right now, we're throwing away those advantages because of poor tactics, and while our captains are compensating somewhat, we need to do better. A single revision to force our guys to survive dives won't work.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:44 pm »

I point out that the Gauntlet Efficiency is the same thing as AGI, except it makes no mention of fixing the accidental-self-burning function on gauntlets (Shooting them too much can burn the user's hand, quite easily).
An excellent point, I've found your revision and will add it to the votebox.
Although, at the moment, we're doing a very good job mitigating their tactic, scouting will likely outright invalidate it at this point, like I said, your tactic will likely lead to better air superiority, but does nothing to stop them from ambushing and dive bombing our transports.
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement & ?: (1) Madman
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Gauntlet Efficiency: (2) NUKE9.13, milo
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement: (1) Jilladilla

Links to revisions
Gauntlet Efficiency
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 187