Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159988 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #675 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:01 pm »

Actually it's not at all the same thing. I'm trying for better power efficiency, leading to less heat and more oomf, whereas AGI is just more insulation.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:47 pm »

whereas AGI is just more insulation.

Did you read the AGI? It's attempting to recreate what we did for the LAC's cooling in miniature. And a bit of insulation in the form of some leather for some user friendliness.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »

Ok, some insulation and a better heatsink. Still not as good as improved power efficiency.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:01 pm »

Yeah, we might add something about "Working in single units" to spread out our guys and get early warning or whatnot.

Heck, even boom-and-zoom or "energy fighter" tactics would work better (Both rely on having higher relative speed than the target, and our improved crystals give us that edge. Boom and zoom is when you rush right through an enemy unit/active combat zone and shoot up everyone that gets in your sights, before you burn right out of there and lose anyone on your tail through simple speed. Energy fighting relies on climbing and diving, killing one enemy every dive and then fleeing up to higher altitudes, faster than your enemy can follow) that what we do now, and they're not even terribly difficult in an airship that modulates gravity.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »

Honestly, I figured that 'Boom and Zoom' is what Kasgyr was intending for, think about it: Their cannon gives them a pretty sizable edge in the short term, and their dive could give them at least enough speed to disengage, and the ambush I'm chalking up to a really good roll.
Also remember that the battle report described them as attempting to flee after their dives, and our superior general speed was enough to prevent them from getting away.

If Kasgyr manages to to at least match our speed, their tactic will likely let them inflict casualties on us for little risk, remember, we didn't manage to shoot down a single Kasgyri skiff while it was diving, other than the one that rammed our transport (which doesn't count), so if they can reach the point where they can get away cleanly.....

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:09 pm »

So I guess the question is, is their ambush tactic just going to result in us losing scouts instead?
Either way, also on my phone but i'm voting for whichever aetheric gauntlet improvement specifically mentions the Itshana selects.. which none do currently
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 24, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »

Of course none mention the selects! Making select gauntlets is as simple as specifying select crystals when ordering them built!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 24, 2017, 11:30:04 pm »

So I guess the question is, is their ambush tactic just going to result in us losing scouts instead?
Either way, also on my phone but i'm voting for whichever aetheric gauntlet improvement specifically mentions the Itshana selects.. which none do currently

If we roll bad, yeah, I anticipate lots of dead scouts... Hopefully in that scenario the sounds of battle at will at least alert the rest of the fleet...
(Although to be fair, a bad roll on a tactic, whatever it is, will likely involve lots of dead men.)

Anyway Tack, just go with the gauntlet revision that you think will be best able to handle an Itshana Select crystal without blowing up (...I don't think this will happen at these power levels?) or exacerbating the vanilla gauntlets issues due to suddenly having to deal with roughly twice as much power.

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 25, 2017, 08:15:32 am »

Basically, the gauntlet that provides only for "amplified power" is making itself unusable (Sorry, this is somewhat unavoidable) because it's not protecting the user. You can dissipate heat faster, but you're building it MUCH faster. This is going to lead to soldiers getting invalided out because we've burned the fine-motor-control of one hand to a crisp.

As for tactics, we use our advantages, otherwise they don't matter. What we know, however, is that Kasgyr is facing several turns' worth of work before they could even START to see crystal improvements as well as we had.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 25, 2017, 08:20:05 am »

What we know, however, is that Kasgyr is facing several turns' worth of work before they could even START to see crystal improvements as well as we had

What we don't know, however, is what things they already got in the pipeline.  I mean, I'm not impressed with what they've shown so far.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:21:43 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:24 am »

Thing is, if we are intending for these gauntlets to serve as armour-piercing weapons (which, again, I think is a stretch), we want more power, even if it results in a lower rate of fire. Better efficiency = more damage per shot, better insulation = more shots per second. Both would increase DPS.

Tactically, we are already using our advantages of better speed. We just need to invalidate (or reduce the efficacy of) their tactics, and we will solidly have the upper hand.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:34 am »

While I agree with both, I don't need an armor-piercing weapon from the gauntlets. They'll never become that.

We're going to have to build ourselves a rifle of some sort for THAT to happen. We may consider sending a flintlock set with the next group going to Three Captains. They would probably be capable of dealing with the spiders...which crawl through holes in the walls. That got interesting.

Maybe we should revise a dinghy to be collapsible in circular sections of widely varying sizes?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 25, 2017, 08:45:27 am »

Basically the two proposals do similar things, but in very different ways.

I want to reduce the heat and up the power by increasing the gauntlet power efficiency.
Madman wants to up the amount of insulation and add a better heatsink so you can fire longer. Note that this does nothing to increase firepower...

My idea will boost both power and fire time, the other only gives you more shots.

With select crystals (which cost more don't forget!) my design will be *even more* powerful, while still being acceptablely cool (since the crystal will generate less heat). The other design will simply be better, but hotter.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 25, 2017, 08:50:43 am »

Your design amplifies power how?

Larger crystal = greater crystal cost.

Better cooling = no increase in ore cost (I refer you to the cannon) = more shots = better effect on infantry and *everything else* short of a tank/large spider.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:57 am »

Wait, if you don't think the gauntlets will help against the Giant Spiders, why do you want to revise them?
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 187