Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159994 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #690 on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:16 am »

They might not do HUGE damage to the spiders, but they'll do more against them than we can now. If the spiders are armored, nothing we do this revision's going to destroy them (I'd guess. I don't have a firm baseline for "how armored" the spiders are or "how deadly" the gauntlets are). A gauntlet capable of sustained firing helps thin the hordes and then also burn away at the spider. More shots = more hits on target, where the target is the armored place you've hit before and are melting away right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:06 am »

If you don't think any revision will help kill the giant spiders, you could just not vote for a second revision and save the die for next turn.
I think gauntlets might be able to scratch the beasts, keeping them at a distance whilst the prototype PLACE takes them down. Ideally we'd want to put two revisions into them, one increasing power, and one increasing RoF.
...yeah, why don't we do that? Can't we just agree to do both, one this turn and one the next? I'd be up for that. Better gauntlets will help down the line as well.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 25, 2017, 09:13:20 am »

That would work.

That was my original proposal, after all. Second revision would've been "Torment Gauntlets" with increased power.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:03 am »

It amplifies power because more of the energy is going downrange instead of being lost as heat. Less energy lost as heat == more power and less cooling needed.

Better heatsinks and insulation would compliment this, so I would go for doing both... Both would combine to make select crystal gauntlets into true beasts of destruction.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:32:58 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 25, 2017, 09:43:04 am »

And here's where I just jump in and drop
Quote from: Itshana Gauntlets.
These aether gauntlets have been designed to incorporate the new ishtana select crystals in their design. Certain aspects like heat dissipation and light projection have had to be tweaked in order to accomodate for the doubly-powerful surges issuing from the new crystals. With better protection and a more advanced matrix, the gauntlets should be able to operate to the fullest of their new capacity without burning the firer or blinding his squadmates.
With luck, this could also have an impact on our standard gauntlet designs as well.

And then I'm going to vote for it because it looks like the only option which will acually do the bugswatting we budgeted that dice for.

Quote from: Votes
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement & ?: (1) Madman
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Gauntlet Efficiency: (2) NUKE9.13, milo
50% Light Scouts Doctrine & Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement: (1) Jilladilla
Light Scouts Doctrine & Itshana Gauntlets: (1) Tack

Links to revisions
50% Light Scouts Doctrine
Gauntlet Efficiency
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement

I'm also dropping the "50%" from the revision because I believe revisions shouldn't have too great a level of specificity, and it also instantly implies the vulnerability of half of our craft.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 25, 2017, 09:45:42 am »

We don't need a revision to use select crystals. This is a total waste of dice.

I'm down for either my or madman's proposal, if a tie breaker is needed, but don't switch me before the last second.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:49:08 am by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 25, 2017, 09:46:58 am »

Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement: (2) Madman, Jilla
Gauntlet Efficiency: (2) NUKE9.13, milo
Itshana Gauntlets: (1) Tack
(50%) Light Scouts Doctrine: (4) Tack, Jilla, NUKE, milo
OUTManeuver: (1) Madman

Links to revisions
Gauntlet Efficiency

Logic imposed on the voting. We *probably* shouldn't be voting for these things in pairs, as that divides the voting weird.

I point out that the light-scouts doctrine might counter their dive-assaults, but it is MUCH more likely to leave half our forces out there to be easily ambushed by dives they don't see coming. Which means the enemy can retreat to higher altitude, AGAIN, and then dive, AGAIN. On yet another unsuspecting and surprised Skyskiff.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 25, 2017, 09:51:43 am »

Good job splitting the vote box up. Trying to vote on several items as one is just stupid.

I was editing my post, and got ninjad, basically I'm down for either (sensible) gauntlet proposal, but don't switch me to madman's unless a last minute tie breaker is needed

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:51 am »

Actually, according to the rules, we should be voting for things in pairs. :/
Whatever.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:13 am »

What?

Why?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:00 am »

I point out that the light-scouts doctrine might counter their dive-assaults, but it is MUCH more likely to leave half our forces out there to be easily ambushed by dives they don't see coming. Which means the enemy can retreat to higher altitude, AGAIN, and then dive, AGAIN. On yet another unsuspecting and surprised Skyskiff.

Yup.

Besides, all cannons are short range. That means we don't need to spot the enemy early, simply spotting them before fire is good enough.

Strategy Proposal : High Vigil

All fleets deploy at least one ship at high altitude to keep watch of the surroundings. This ship flies straught above them, and can thus easily observe enemies gathering for high altitude ambushes without being subject to them. On sighting an enemy, a shot is fired as warning to the fleet, so that they can rause thir shields.

Improvements vs Scouts :

Does not spread out half our fleet
Safeguards scouts from attack

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:06:36 am by 10ebbor10 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:56 am »

Revision 1:

Revision 2:
(50%) Light Scouts Doctrine: (4) Tack, Jilla, NUKE, milo

Links to revisions
Gauntlet Efficiency

There, we are now voting in two mutually exclusive groups.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:00:11 am by milo christiansen »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:16 am »

If I'm wrong and we don't need a revision to use the selects, we'll get some other helpful little buff to compensate.
If you're wrong and we DO need a revision, we'll have slightly more useful gauntlets which don't solve our problem.

In my opinion you're overreaching and madman isn't trying to fix the problem.

You may notice I'm specifically referencing the problem.
That's because it's specifically what we should be spending this dice towards.
I don't trust your revision to kill the bugs, so I've made my own.
Let the votes fall as they may.

Edit: that being said
Revision 1:

Revision 2:
(50%) Light Scouts Doctrine: (3), Jilla, NUKE, milo
High Vigil: (2) Tack, 10ebbor10

Links to revisions
Gauntlet Efficiency
Itshana Gauntlets
(Also mutually exclusive groups would mean we could only vote in one or the other.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:06:32 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:10 am »

We CAN use Itshana Select crystals. They won't fire as long, but they'll hit much harder.

Increasing cooling and stopping the gauntlets from burning the user are two relatively easy things, meaning we will get good gains on them. Dependent on roll, yes, but we'll at least get slight improvements on pretty much any roll.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 25, 2017, 10:08:21 am »

Mine allows for a seperate buyable weapon which will come with its own benefits from the roll.
It also means we'll be more easily able to equip our troops with them AND it means we're actually acting within the scope of the game and making things easier on Draig.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 187