Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 160063 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #645 on: July 24, 2017, 12:56:28 pm »

Not if it's first to get ambushed and killed every combat.
I guess it's just too many problems and not enough dice.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:58:45 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 24, 2017, 01:00:22 pm »

That ship needs to get deployed ASAP to get us a larger advantage in all combats.

The only way the Cloudrunner will help inner spire combat is by helping protect transports as they unload, something that our lack of only cost us a quarter of a squad and 2 damaged transports, despite it being a 5v5 and them ambushing us.

That said, I'm all for making a ship tactic as one of our revisions, either evasive maneuvers (for maximum air superiority), or maybe some reconnaissance perhaps? (We can't protect our transports if they keep ambushing them!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:02:14 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2017, 01:04:03 pm »

P.L.A.C.E
[Time:1+1 Progress:3 Cost:5]

Perhaps, some time in the future when the PLACE system is a point of history and not a current issue, people will look back on this banjaxed design process and laugh. That time, however, is a long way off.

On the good side, bureaucratic efficiency is running at full steam, and the costs have been minimized almost as far as is humanly possible. This has been accomplished at the expense of the engineers, many of which would have developed a drinking problem were it not for the massive amount of paperwork needed to requisition alcohol. Because of certain technicalities regarding the design of the PLACE, auditors have insisted on classifying it as an ultralight ship, which means that engineers must follow the rigid safety procedures and protocols as though they were working a sailing vessel.

Progress on the project is slow, but the accountants are quick to point out that progress is also safe and efficient- which more than offsets the time costs, right?

PLACE: 3/15 | 1 Ore, + 2 from Silk OR Ore OR Crystal | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice left to spend.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »

Well fine then.

Spent so much time typing that I didn't get in my last reply.

I guess we better hope we can do everything with three less revisions and a bunch of wasted dice next time?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 24, 2017, 01:18:53 pm »

Madman, the DIE was not going to work. Draignean straight up said it would be a design. You asked him yourself! Plz stop being salty. Or, uh, onigiri, I guess.

Anyway. Shame about the time.
So, we need to revise better tactics for our ships. I prefer Counter-Dive, since almost all their damage is in the initial attack; if we can avoid that, we have the upper hand. No need to get fancy.

And... well, I still think we should go for an arbalest. But I'm not married to it, if someone can convince me of a better idea. Really, the only thing that is super important to do this turn is the ship tactics, I could be convinced to hold onto our last die.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 24, 2017, 01:33:20 pm »

Well fine then.

Spent so much time typing that I didn't get in my last reply.

I guess we better hope we can do everything with three less revisions and a bunch of wasted dice next time?
Main flaw with the project so far is that we rolled a 1 for time, thankfully the simplicity made it an effective 2, but that one would've trashed one of your revisions. And besides, we're not hoping to finish it next turn, only to get the prototype (Which we can in fact deploy immediately, as per Word of GM), in which case we only need to make 5 progress to get (Feasible with 2 dice, average result of 2 dice is 7 after all). Also, I said earlier that next turn's ore won't be able to help with our first reinforcement wave, we only have what we can get this turn. Other than the PLACE prototype.

That said, we have 2 dice for revisions. Start making plans everyone, are we going to want 2 revisions, or perhaps save one or both?
I'm partial for spending one on a ship reconnaissance tactic, but I could be swayed towards evasive maneuvers (like yours Madman).
As for what we do with the other? I'm less sure of that..

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:59 pm »

My ship tactic revision is a comprehensive upgrade of ship tactics, based around making sure we're exploiting our maneuverability advantages to fire everything, instead of just running right at them to fire everything.

As for now, I'm going to vote for the Aetheric Gauntlet Improvements, which makes them less likely to burn the user and also slower to overheat. I'll be back later to fix the votebox if nothing happens in the meantime.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:51 pm »

My ship tactic revision is a comprehensive upgrade of ship tactics, based around making sure we're exploiting our maneuverability advantages to fire everything, instead of just running right at them to fire everything.

As for now, I'm going to vote for the Aetheric Gauntlet Improvements, which makes them less likely to burn the user and also slower to overheat. I'll be back later to fix the votebox if nothing happens in the meantime.

The problem is that your ship tactic revision is mostly hot air. It contains no substance beyond "outmaneuver" the enemy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 24, 2017, 01:56:37 pm »

Would a cranked heavy crossbow fit as a revision?
Actually while I've got Draignean
Is it possible to research designs which affect our design speed or amount of dice? Not sure of the rules re: wishing for more wishes.

No. With a well-rolled revision you succeeded in getting the power up a bit in exchange for accuracy. However, you're coming to the limits of what you can simply 'revise on' to the old design.

Think of it this way.  Your original design was for a submachine gun. You can bump its power up and fiddle with things to optimize it, but no amount of revision is going to make a Thompson into an Enfield.

As to research to improve research... A lot of what other arms race games handle with bonuses (I.e, you have so much experience with this, here's a +3 to efficacy!) I intend to handle through reduction in time. So, in a way, all research reduces the time of related research.  However, research to get more dice is a dangerous path to go on. Impossible? No. Costly, yes- and even when finished, It's not just going to be a passive +1 die per turn. It'll be some mechanism for paying resources in exchange.

It's a long term tech for sure, and one that would take a very long time to pay out.

That being said, the special events that happen in Arms Race games will be a semi-regular source of additional dice.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:34 pm »

Hmm
revision
comprehensive upgrade
:/

Would a cranked heavy crossbow fit as a revision?

No. With a well-rolled revision you succeeded in getting the power up a bit in exchange for accuracy. However, you're coming to the limits of what you can simply 'revise on' to the old design.

Think of it this way.  Your original design was for a submachine gun. You can bump its power up and fiddle with things to optimize it, but no amount of revision is going to make a Thompson into an Enfield.
Ah, good to know. Still trying to get a handle on what exactly we can do with revisions. Thanks for telling us this before we wasted a die.

So, obviously I'm off of arbalests. I still don't think a gauntlet is ever going to be an armour-piercing weapon, though.
Quote from: Simplified Vote Box, because the old one is way too cluttered. Besides, you aren't supposed to vote for things seperately, you have to vote for all the things you want in one package.
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvements & ?: (1) Madman
Counter-Dive Tactics & Save last die: (1) NUKE9.13
Here's the old votebox for reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2017, 02:09:24 pm »

A few tactic suggestions

Buddy system

Divide our ships in couples of two ships, each trained to operate as a unit. Both of them will operate together, focusing their fire on a single target. This should ensure that enemy ships are crippled or destroyed much faster as concentrated fire overwhelms their shrouds.

Wall of battle

The wall of battle is a vertical formation of ships, one above the other yet, slightly staggered to ensure that each ship can raise or lower independently. The wall of battle ensures that there's no risk of friendly fire (allowing maximum fure rate) and allows firepower to be concentrated against a single target.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2017, 02:20:11 pm »

How about more power and detachable, swappable, copper heatsinks for our gauntlets? Two revisions, of course.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:10 pm »

As to research to improve research... A lot of what other arms race games handle with bonuses (I.e, you have so much experience with this, here's a +3 to efficacy!) I intend to handle through reduction in time. So, in a way, all research reduces the time of related research.  However, research to get more dice is a dangerous path to go on. Impossible? No. Costly, yes- and even when finished, It's not just going to be a passive +1 die per turn. It'll be some mechanism for paying resources in exchange.

It's a long term tech for sure, and one that would take a very long time to pay out.

So, possible, but would likely involve a massive expenditure of resources and dice to set up, then combine that with something like our Itshana Select crystals where we need to pay up a very noticeable amount of resources for the bonus dice?... Yeah, this would likely be an extremely long term plan if we went for it, with nothing to show for it but a drain on our resources and dice for a long, long while...

Speaking of special events, does the transport that got kamikazied have any notable amount of salvageable scrap material from the skiff that rammed it? (I ask only because this is the one instance where it makes sense that one of the destroyed ships did not have its surviving bits simply fall to the surface.)

(PS: For people asking to give our gauntlets more power... We sort of have that already in Itshana Select weapons crystals... We just need to improve user friendliness and probably cooling some to actually take advantage of that.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:24:52 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 24, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

For more powerful gauntlets, we should focus on better power efficiency. Less heat to deal with, better damage.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 24, 2017, 02:55:32 pm »

Their dive-bombing tactic seems to focus on our transports. We need to counter that before they get a stronger weapon. Even as it stands, that's going to cost resources every time our transports are near a battle. Scouting should counter that, and be useful later for fleet organization.

50% Light Scouts Doctrine
The cowardly Kasgyr prefer to strike from ambush, and their ships are likely to do so at any time. In response, half of our fastest combat ships should be performing reconnaissance patrols around our fleets at any given time. Upon engagement, they should fire once (at the enemy ships, if they can safely do so) to sound the alarm, before falling back to the main force.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 187