Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150556 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:34 pm »

I can support that scheme with one revision; a roman numeral I-V after the name, so that we can denote corvette squadrons.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2017, 09:09:12 pm »

Hooooly shit those rolls were amazing.

I say we stick the prototype core in her prototype hull, splash the cash to set it up, and converge all available forces on the captains this turn. Assuming they bring all their skiffs there, we ought to win with heavy losses, making it the optimal time to change the light production line.

This ship works well with our kettle guns and ambush tactics to. With all that firepower, she is designed to obliterate in the initial strike. Hell of a ship we got here.

Can't wait to see what that thing is capable of with Crystal studding. Given a medium Crystal is over charging it, it could power full studding quite easily.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 27, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »

Heavy losses for the skiffs; with that shroud on the viper even the Wrethi guns are going to have trouble punching through it.

Anyway, doing some cursory cost checks now and we're REALLY going to want to convert the skiff production in vipers as soon as we can. Draignean, is the viper a small hull for such purposes?

Quote from: Production Plan "Wreth fucked up NOW!"
Refit Prototype Viper Corvette RKNV Serpentis with prototype medium core crystal, small lift crystal (3 crystal, 2 ore), 6 reams of webbing (12 silk) six sets of trim webs (6 crystal, 6 ore & 18 wood), two sections of light bronze armour (6 ore), ten kettleguns (10 ore, 10 crystal)

Subtotal: 19 Crystal, 24 Ore, 18 Wood & 12 Silk

Marine Equipment: 2x Grappling gear, 2x Bronze Cutlass, 2x Bronze armour (Officer) & 2x Aethersilk Vests (Squad Leaders & Officer). [8 ore total]

Total cost: 19 Crystal, 32 Ore, 18 Wood & 22 Silk

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:11 pm »

We don't really need the grappling gear. I say drop that and throw in some officer gauntlets for a diversity of firepower.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 27, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »

These squads are the manoeuvre squads; the the other four units have enough firepower to make up for it.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:40 pm »

Uh huh. Well... Ok then. I think I do get a bit over enthusiastic with gauntlet use.

Though, counterpoint. Will a maneuver squad be able to perform maneuvers without specific tactics?

I could see them working very well dropping out suddenly into the enemy's flank, but they probably need tactics to pull something like that off.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »

Well, presumably, I mean it's not a combat tactic and they are the only squads with grappling gear.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2017, 11:22:11 pm »

Not going to make input to the production phase, but Taricus plan seems fine

Unto next round design phase, I was thinking that steel and iron are useless in this area or setting and that research or some kind of design for aluminum or titanium composites and alloys. Titanium is too ridiculous and high-techy to me it would be some kind of late game thing, aluminum is a great conductor but I don't know if that would be great ship plating? So how about Stainless Steel, we would just need the ability to produce steel from iron and carbon (combined with some other metals) and especially chromium, a better version of metal that we are utilizing would be great help with not just armor and material, but all those fiddly gears and bits for advanced rifles and such. Titanium just seems really far-fetched it seems quite ridiculous that a better version of metal would result in an ridiculous advanced metal (I goofed up this one, what I mean to state is that yes titanium is strong and light but it's a ridiculous advanced technology to research, I don't know if we could actually research something as powerful in this technology stage and era). Of course aluminum is very abundant and especially conductive, but don't know about its capability as a material or armor

Second someone proposed another ranged weapon that would serve the same role as the WitchHunter, we already have a infantry weapon that serves as a long-ranged weapon, that was why I was proposing something like a revolver, easy-to-handle and high rate of fire plus good stopping power. If the need arrives for another infantry, I was thinking we could utilize our current technology of aether gauntless, have a splicing crystal to cross the aether beams, and provide a "spread-shot" or shotgun gauntlet. I don't know I heard shotguns are pretty good at close range. Also it would shore us up on our weakness at close range.

Proposed Design Later: Osiris-SpreadShot Aether Gauntlet: A vast improvement over the current aether gauntlet, its key feature is that it replaces the current crystal that performs range fire and utilizes glass, lenses, and mirrors on a crystal to make a splicing crystal; to make the aether or directed plasma energy scatter into a cone style of fire, it would serve the same purpose as theoretical buckshot and the capability to spread its fire would be very effective at close range. The proposed designs also replaces light bronze platting on the gauntlet as well as the conductive copper, but through a heavy ergonomics check it makes the soft plating not overheat and burn the users hands, also replaced the leather with studded leather for it to resist overheating easier.

Question @Draignean, does the Ore provided by the Spires include some Chromium, since that goes back to the idea to create stainless steel. And ya got to have it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:30:16 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:00 pm »

If we make another infantry weapon soon, we should make grenades.
Black powder, fuze, bronze fragmenting shell. Maybe a wooden handle because stick grenades look cooler and more steampunk and cam be thrown further.

Grenades would probably be brutally effective in the indoor environments of spires.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:10 pm »

Aluminium would allow us to make something like fighter aircraft. Stick a squadron or two of those on a spire and they won't have a chance at a blockade. Either way, aether gauntlets are a dead end; too lethal to the user and too ineffective at range. And titanium isn't too high tech, hell it was discovered in the 1800s or thereabouts so knowledge on it isn't hard to get, and thanks to aether crystals we have an effective source of electricity to which we can manufacture both aluminium and titanium. The latter, we primarily need to replace steel.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 27, 2017, 11:43:59 pm »

If the need arrives for another infantry weapon than sure but we already have enough infantry upgrades just need to focus on the naval power, we should make more improvements to the weapon and armor of our ships, eventually develop a larger ship. But current priority next turn is a better cannon.

Wasn't their an idea for an rotary cannon next turn? I think it was repeater not rotary, it just sounded better in my head when it was a cannon-mini gun hybrid. It could probably be done and it would massively increase the rate of fire, the most important thing for an alpha strike and improving it, except stopping power.

Strategy-wise sending that Viper-Corvette along with a transport to the Three-Captains, seems very promising. We need Ore, desperately. And I really believe that the unfinished is going to have the same level of native difficulty compared to the Captains

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 27, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »

Ore isn't going to be as vital as crystal, and the other close demi-spires provide or so it's not that pressing (Not to mention the creatures in the captains will slow the Wrethi forces there down, doubly so with the loss of one of their transports.). But I'd say our priorities are between a better cannon and better lift crystals. Though even without both the firepower of each viper would ensure they have a good, long service time. A rapid-fire light cannon would undoubtedly massively increase the firepower of our vipers and if we can make an infantry gun out of it as well, so much the better.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »

Question @Draignean, does the Ore provided by the Spires include some Chromium, since that goes back to the idea to create stainless steel. And ya got to have it.

The Ore that gets mined out is unspecified generic ore, so, yes. There's everything in there, it just might cost more.

As for Titanium vs Chromium part, they're both rather equivalent in terms of research timeline. Titanium was first purified around 1910, and stainless steel was invented around 1914. Now, remember that iron rot also effects alloys of iron, from which stainless steel is not exempt, so what you're actually looking for is chrome plating, which wasn't perfected for production until around 1920.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2017, 12:06:23 am »

Just asking, but what rescources if any do gunpowder, explosives, or fuel use?

Also, guided anti-airship missiles are a completely viable tech.
Pigeon guidance.
It was real and proven to work. The only reason it wasn't used was because people were unwilling to give it a chance because it sounded silly. And electronic guidance is better.
But lets make pigeon guided missiles that home in on enemy ships, cut straight through shrouds like nothing, then explode and cripple or destroy the ship.

The greatest thing is that Wreth will just see "guided missile" in the battle reports and it will probably take them a while to find out about the pigeons.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:08:11 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:00 am »

The Wrethi seems to be pushing hard about the Unfinished being completely empty. As Drag said there would be resistance on all of them,  I'm willing to bet it's much worse then the Three Captains. So I think we should consider that another reason why we should hit the Three Captains over the Unfinished.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:56:00 am by Kashyyk »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 178