Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150539 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:58 am »

Just asking, but what rescources if any do gunpowder, explosives, or fuel use?

Gunpowder: Mostly ore
Explosives: Ore+/Wood
Fuel: Depends. Likely Ore/Wood+

You don't have much in the way of fossil fuels, and by much in the way of, I mean any.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2017, 01:02:52 am »

The Wrethi seems to be pushing hard about the Unfinished being completely empty. As Drag said there would be resistance on all of them,  I'm willing to bet it's much worse then the Three Captains. So I think we should consider that another reason why we should hit the Three Captains over the Unfinished.
Still, they seem to be pushing in that direction; a counter push there should stymie their efforts elsewhere.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:45 am »

@ whoever was saying we need to focus solely on naval designs over infantry.

We just finished a bucket of naval designs. We need to do the med lift Crystal to go with the med core, but then it's anybody's guess.

I would remind you that our infantry equipment is completely un tested at this point. We might engage the enemy solders and find ourselves out classed for all we know. I doubt it, but it's perfectly possible.

I think a repeater is a bad idea. Whoever suggested it earlier was taking about it shooting with 1/2 power of regular cannon, and I think that is an extremely bad idea.

If we do make a new cannon, it ought to include a cyclical integrated cooling system, letting it fire off its alpha strike much faster. Right now the big bottle neck in rate of fire is heat dispersion. We don't need a repeater until we get to fast for manuel firing.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2017, 01:10:09 am »

Question @Draignean

I was doing a bit of research on titanium compared to stainless steel, and one of the primary factor is that titanium is ridiculous expensive to produce. If we live in a world that can produce titanium and stainless steel, would titanium have a much more significant Ore cost compared to stainless steel?. Like what would the Ore cost of something like ship plating or minor metal engravings on a gun, what would be the difference of Ore be?

Response: A Gatling-gun cannon may seem overly-imaginative but it seems like a real good way of increasing rate of fire, if we're going to spend an entire design to build something then it can't be a minor fix. Reducing heat dispersion is something what a revision does. We already spent two revisions on the light cannon, we just need to integrate the previous ideas from the revisions including new ones like a rotary cannon and better heat management system into one design. I think this is a perfect opportunity to try to make a very powerful cannon instead of making a marginal improvement.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:14:00 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 28, 2017, 01:33:57 am »

Agreed.  The main issue as Draig describes it is barrel heat. A design that alternates barrels in some way immediately increases our sustained fire rate,  as each barrel receives less heat per shot on average.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2017, 01:50:37 am »

Do we have enough ore and wood to outfit a super deadly squad with every soldier using a crossbow?

Also, can they fly past an occupied demispire?  It did not seem clear.  We already have troops at several spires.

Ore and wood will both be serious resources for us because of the crossbows.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2017, 02:02:19 am »

We already have one squad ready for the assault on the unfinished that is already fully equipped with crossbows. And we don't have the ore to equip a second squad like that.

EDIT: Anyway, if people could vote for the production plan that'd do Draignean a big favour.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2017, 02:03:50 am »

It's another reason I suggested the Aether rifle actually,  will hopefully use less ore/wood.

The way I interpret it,  only airships have a chance of blocking hostile movement,  and that depends on comparative numbers, power and tactics.

Thus how we got away from the three captains without a fight, and one of their transports got away at their demispire.

Edit: We're officially still in the revision phase,  so I'm assuming Draig is keeping us locked in step with Wreth.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2017, 02:17:48 am »

Ok wow we rolled really well on that this will likely cause the Wrethians some headaches!
For every production line EXCEPT the one granted by the marine academy (which produces marines) switching what ship is on a production line is just a declared action at any point during a team's turn. However, any ships created by the now inactive production line must either be paid for or be scuttled. You cannot rotate production lines to buff up your numbers, nor can you gain resources by scuttling production line built ships.
If I understand these rules right we can switch the production line right now but we lose at least this turns production of skiffs. Now I don't think we'll be getting two vipers every turn like the skiffs. But seeing as how our skiffs are vastly outpowered by an equipped viper I think we should do it right away. Please correct me if I'm wrong but is switching our production line to this possible:
Quote from: new production line pattern
Viper hull equipped with medium core crystal, small lift crystal, 6 reams of webbing  six sets of trim webs , two sections of light bronze armour , ten kettleguns
It'd be nice to switch over from our obsolete skiffs as soon as possible.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2017, 02:29:10 am »

It takes a revision die to make a production patter IIRC. And no idea if we can revise the pattern once we get better guns and lift crystals.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2017, 02:47:12 am »

I believe we'd need to rcreate a production pattern, yes.

However Draig allows unambiguous improvements (like  kettleguns over regular) to be inserted into a production pattern for free.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2017, 02:52:00 am »

Ah, I see. Well we'll have to get on that in at the first chance we get.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2017, 03:04:51 am »

Dunno about switching small lift cores for mediums though. At any rate swapping skiff production for corvettes will be a brilliant move on our part.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2017, 08:25:45 am »

Lord Arc Protects

Quote from: Production Plan
Production Plan "Wreth fucked up NOW!": 2: SMMI, Taricus

I was the one who suggested the Gatling Aether Gun, I'll draw up a specific design for it today. By the math, we should be able to get double the effective rate of fire from our Kettleguns with a 3 barrel configuration for at least 50% longer duration, if not longer due to the other water sources having time to cool down. We might want to revise or design a system to more easily exchange the water coolers to allow for faster and safer exchanges.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:27 am »

Or just massively improve the water cooling of the system, like a maxim or vickers gun for example: A large water storage unit that covers the entire barrel which is easily refilled allowing far greater sustained fire. And means that we could use certain other liquids to cool the gun instead of straight water.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 178