Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150429 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #390 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:39 am »

Good points. My conclusion from this is that we now have a solid strategy for future turns once we get everything together. If we get together a small raiding group, let's say 5 Vipers perhaps with some Gatling Aether Guns and our new Core Crystal, a Blockade Tactic and a Hunter/Raider Tactic (target vulnerable areas with hit and run/ambush to limit their counter attack and transportation ability, followed by mopping up survivors), we should be able to do signficant damage to enemy transports and any ships leaving from their Homespire.

Quote from: Potentially Useful Things
-Repair Ship to allow ships in the field avoid needing to take the trip back home, possible with a rework of a transport ship.
-Radio/Signal Flags/Signal Flares, so our ships can communicate with each other at a distance.
-Telescope/Spyglass, so we can see things at a distance.

The Aether Gatling Gun would take advantage of our faster initial firing rate by allowing us to switch barrels/water cases with a crank of winch. Getting twice the speed of fire (as compared to our existing rate of fire) from three changing cases for a longer period of time seems to be a standard we can set up. Getting it on an improved version of our new mount should allow for all sorts of fun. Getting 3 of the guns targeting the same area in the initial volleys sounds like something that'll make Wreath scrambling for a solution. If we can get the system small enough, we might be able to replace all of our current Skiff cannons with it.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2017, 09:18:56 am »

It could be a turn or two before we are even looking for new designs, which is a shame because I have so many bouncing around in my head;Here is a sample of some the things I'd like us to have

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:27 am »

Jerick does make some good points. I suppose I would be willing to go with plan caltrop.

We have this opportunity now. If we wait for the viper, there I'd no guarantee that we will have this opportunity again. Denying them the transports now while everything is still setting up will have a much bigger impact than destroying a transport in a few turns. We know that are taking losses at the captains, and we already roasted a squad they were deploying there as they went in. If they can't reinforce, they might be hard pressed to push through 3 more turns of fighting with the men they have left. They are already down to less than 2 squads.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:01 am »

If we lose all our skiffs, that will prevent us from assaulting the belt spires whilst we recover, and we will have to keep our transports at our homespire to protect them. They may also attempt to intercept resource shipments from our local spires. This all predicates on them being willing to action the exact same strategy we would have failed at however.

However, I feel that is less damaging for us than the successful destruction of their transports is for them. It would cost them plenty of resources, both in terms of the ships and the equipment carried by any marines. They would also not be able to reinforce and we would be able outnumber them in the belt.

Thus, I'm going to switch to Plan Caltrops.

Quote from: votebox
[]Together we stand:
[1]Heartfire: helmacon
[2]Caltrop: Jerick, Kashyyk

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32:06 am »

[]Together we stand:
[1]Heartfire: helmacon
[3]Caltrop: Jerick, Kashyyk, Wolfhunter
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:15 am »

On an unrelated note,  did we want a prefix for our ships? As a monarchy,  Her Majesty's Airship (HMA) is pretty standard, but we could also go for Royal Navy Vessel (RNV) or something else.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 26, 2017, 11:37:29 am »

Alright, going to grab lunch. I'll lock votes in and start work on the turn.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 26, 2017, 12:04:26 pm »

Jerick does make some good points. I suppose I would be willing to go with plan caltrop.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

[]Together we stand:
[]Heartfire:
[4]Caltrop: Jerick, Kashyyk, Wolfhunter, helmacon

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »

The Unfinished

No report comes back from the Skyskiffs that were originally positioned at the unfinished. They had acknowledged their orders to tail the enemy transport back home and destroy it- but weeks pass without any additional information.

Without any other details to go by, the Skiff captains are presumed dead.

Presumed Losses: 3 Skyskiffs

Wreth Leftmost Demi-Spire

The reports from the Skiffs originally stationed at the Three Captains are much more encouraging. They successfully managed to leave the aerosphere around the Three Captains without attracting attention, and followed the wounded transport back to a demi-spire in enemy territory.

Burning the unarmed and already injured transport down is an elementary manner. Capture of such a vessel as a prize is regrettably impossible for skiffs, and so she's merely reduced to cinders and sent to rest on the surface.

In a pleasant surprise, however, a second Wreth transport is positively identified. Interestingly, it appeared that it was unloading troops onto the near demi-spire, strongly indicating that the Spire is not yet in production, and is still being claimed. Unfortunately, the cannon fire from the Skiffs likely gave away their position, and the newly identified transport is able to dive into the mist before the Skiffs can get in range. A cursory search reveals nothing, and the captains instead devote their time to observing the spire.

The initial impression that the Wrethans have just begun reclaiming this spire is sadly accurate. There are no major shipments of materials going out, and the infrastructure visible form the exterior is primarily in a ruined condition.

Confirmed Kills: 1 Wrethan Transport

Blackstone and Glowcove

The Blackstone and Glowcove reclamation projects continued to go smoothly, with the more and more structures getting repaired by the day. It's the fond hope of the survivors of the attacks that, within two years, they can begin going back to homes and businesses that were once reduced to rubble by senseless Wrethan brutality.

Territory has been gained at Blackstone and Glowcove

Spire Kasgyre

The Hermes and Mercury transports make it back to Spire Kasgyre without incident.

Two more Skiffs have been constructed and are ready for action at Spire Kasgyre.
Two more squads of marines have been trained and are ready for action at Spire Kasgyre.

NOTE: I really need to stop writing you guys second. Sorry, I don't really feel like writing some scenes twice, which has made your turn a bit less flowery. Let me know if I missed anything.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

It is the Beginning of 345 AR.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
11/y Crystal, 37/55 Banked
10/y Ore, 32/50 banked
11/y Wood, 53/55 banked
9/y Silk, 29/45 banked

It is the Project Maintenance and Design phase. You have 5 dice left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 27, 2017, 12:37:42 pm »

4 dice into viper. 1 dice into medium crystal.

Despite our Presumed losses, I get the feeling that those skiffs aren't dead.

Since the ships coming from the captains did not encounter any reinforcements, they must have sent the new skiffs to the unfinished, and engaged our skiffs moving out from there.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »

Quote from: Project Maintance
Medium Core Crystal: 1 Die: 4 Crystal: 1: SMMI
Viper Class Corvette: 4 Dice: 32 Wood + 8 Ore: 1: SMMI

Either that or 2 Dice/3 Dice. Thoughts?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2017, 12:48:28 pm »

3 dice to the viper gives us ~ a 10% chance of finishing it. 4 dice give us closer to a 40% chance.

1 dice to the med gives us a 2/3 (66%) chance to finish.

I think 1/4 gives us the best odds of finishing all projects this turn.

Edit: Someone might want to check my math on that one. I did that rather quickly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:53:32 pm by helmacon »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2017, 12:50:28 pm »

Medium Core Crystal: 1 Die: 4 Crystal: 2: SMMI, NAV
Viper Class Corvette: 4 Dice: 32 Wood + 8 Ore: 2: SMMI, NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2017, 12:54:17 pm »

Medium Core Crystal: 1 Die: 4 Crystal: 2: SMMI, NAV, helmacon
Viper Class Corvette: 4 Dice: 32 Wood + 8 Ore: 2: SMMI, NAV, helmacon
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 178