Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150483 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »

Quote from: Project Maintance
[4] Medium Core Crystal: 1 Die: 4 Crystal: SMMI, NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk
[4] Viper Class Corvette: 4 Dice: 32 Wood + 8 Ore: SMMI, NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk

Seems reasonable to me.

Once we have the time for new designs, I suggest the following:

Aether Rifle
Trying to shoot something out of your palm, whilst cool, is difficult to aim and liable to cause permanent disfigurement. Instead, we take the basic weapons mechanism of the Aether gauntlet and put it into the same form as a Flintlock rifle. This makes the weapon much more accurate, much less burny (for the user) and much easier to maintain or improve on. Upon the barrel are a set of radiator fins to help with heat dissipation, and if needed the entire weapon can be doused in water from the user's canteen.

If we rock up with nothing but crossbows and swords, they'll just need to copy our armour. If we force them to defend against accurate aether weaponry as well, they will not be able to afford to protect everyone.

Also, huzzah for the transport attack. We've cost them plenty of resources now, and all we've spent is free skiffs.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:23 pm »

Quote from: Project Maintance
[5] Medium Core Crystal: 1 Die: 4 Crystal: SMMI, NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk. Jerick
[5] Viper Class Corvette: 4 Dice: 32 Wood + 8 Ore: SMMI, NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk, Jerick
This seems to me to be the best course of action
Edit: on rereading the report it looks like the Wrethians have built more transports so our assumptions about them not having a presence on their demi spires yet is clearly invalid.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:14:15 pm by Jerick »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 27, 2017, 01:16:20 pm »

All the better that we sunk one of them then.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2017, 01:19:48 pm »

Who knows maybe we sunk both? We don't know what the other group achieved or how that fight happened. If we're lucky they took out the other transport and maybe a couple of skiffs.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:00 pm »

True. Fingers crossed, right?

We also found out that they have a third transport, which means they have troops on all of their demi spires now. That 3rd transport should stay pinned by our forces for another turn at least.

I think we should consider building an additional skiff via resources so that we can out number them on the assault. Either that or paying for crystal studding on some of the new skiffs.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2017, 03:11:21 pm »

No. Ships can move two jumps from their current location unless stopped by a hostile fleet.
Spires are also conquered one unit of territory at a time, so you will not see a resource increase for several years.

Next turn we move 2 of the three skiffs that killed the transport back to the captains for the assault. The third will remain at the enemy demi spire.  Any enemy reinforcements trying to move to the captains will be intercepted and lose their second movement point as they have to engage in combat. The last skiff will have a chance of killing the other transport slinking around too.

It almost an assured loss, but it does mean that the enemy will have no more than 3 skiffs at the captains. We have 2 skiffs moving back, plus the 4 skiffs coming with the transports from our home spire means we will have them outnumbered 6 to 3. Plus the transports which provide additional target mass to spread out damage more.

TLDR; We sacrifice 1 skiff to ensure overwhelming force during our landing at the captains. We can posthumously award the crew with the kasgyrien webbed cross or something of the like. 

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2017, 03:20:05 pm »

Once we've effectively advised that rule,  I think we ought to design a blockade runner tactic so as to not suffer the same thing ourselves.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »

No. Ships can move two jumps from their current location unless stopped by a hostile fleet.
Spires are also conquered one unit of territory at a time, so you will not see a resource increase for several years.

Next turn we move 2 of the three skiffs that killed the transport back to the captains for the assault. The third will remain at the enemy demi spire.  Any enemy reinforcements trying to move to the captains will be intercepted and lose their second movement point as they have to engage in combat. The last skiff will have a chance of killing the other transport slinking around too.

It almost an assured loss, but it does mean that the enemy will have no more than 3 skiffs at the captains. We have 2 skiffs moving back, plus the 4 skiffs coming with the transports from our home spire means we will have them outnumbered 6 to 3. Plus the transports which provide additional target mass to spread out damage more.

TLDR; We sacrifice 1 skiff to ensure overwhelming force during our landing at the captains. We can posthumously award the crew with the kasgyrien webbed cross or something of the like.

Stopping is not a hundred percent issue, as evidenced during your turn. The sky is big, and unless you know of a certain point where ships will converge, it takes a good number of ships to stop travel.

Two groups that end their turn in the same location will inevitably find one another, but simply passing through an occupied area is not a guaranteed stop unless both sides are looking for a fight. Whether you can successfully blockade travel is dependent on number/class of ships and the tactics involved, and of course those same factors come into play with the enemy's ships as well.

Moreover, an overwhelming force can simply roll-over an inferior enemy force. You can't block a dreadnought with a skiff.

EDIT: I'll lock your votes in and do the write up as soon as I get back to my apartment and take care of a couple things.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:55:09 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »

Viper Class Corvette
Progress: 23/20 (4,4,4,6)
Prototype Complete!
Project Complete!
[Efficacy: 6 Cost: 4  Bugs: 5]

The Prototype Viper is a thing of beauty, and a marvel that more than restore's high command's faith in the engineering team's ability to pull together and create something truly revolutionary. Deviating from the broadside design that had previously occupied the thoughts of military engineers, she presents unparalleled frontal firepower at the expense of some firing coverage.  She's fifty feet from end-to-end, and distinctively shaped with an armored, angular 'head' similar to that of a pit viper that extends slightly beyond the main deck in all dimensions, partially shielding the crew from wind during high-velocity runs. While she does not natively sport an armored skin, dozens of bronze mounting points dot the head and offer purchase to support armor plating. The eight guns mounted into the 'head' are attached to the new gun swivels, which are fully integrated into the Viper's design and provide excellent cannon stability, although the poor integration into the light cannons themselves still somewhat hampers their accuracy, and the swivels themselves are as slow as they ever were. Even so, by dialing in all the cannons to several pre-marked positions listed on the swivels, the Viper can focus fire on various points beyond her bow, bringing all eight guns to bear with devastating results.

Behind the head is a compact section that serves as crew quarters, provisions storage, engineering, and the web room. The lack of broadside guns means that permanent webbing mounts can be made in a cylinder around the ship's middle, and greatly increases the amount of 'safe' web she can put out. Of course, the immense power draw of her main gunnery array combined with the heavy load on her lift crystal means that she still needs to run swathes of web outside her shroud, but she can still maintain a surprising strength when all of her exterior web is crippled. Engineering is deliberately slightly larger than it needs to be, and as room for mounting up to medium size on both core and lift crystals. She can fly with a small core crystal, but it's not enough for her to operate at full power. Her initial barrages will be slow, her shroud will be weak, and she'll be a little heavy. Conversely, the medium core crystal seems like a slight bit of overkill, providing a great deal more energy than she is actually needed by her guns (particularly when hot and dry) and more energy than any current lift crystal can handle- although the thick shroud is still an enormous benefit. The small lift crystal that the engineers have to work with is... functional, though they'd really like a better one. A lot. The speed specified by the original design document is provided by an array with capacity for up to a dozen trim crystals, though she can get by reasonably with as few as eight, and can limp with only four.

In short, she's a stunningly capable little warship that trades some flexibility in firing arcs for focused firepower and blistering speed.

Viper Corvette:12 wood, 5 ore for one.
A fifty foot long frame of wood and bronze reinforcement, her unusual structure reminiscent of the head of a pit viper. She's designed with forward firepower and incredible speed in mind, featuring eight bow mounts and two aft mounts, all of which integrate the mechanical hand-crank system to aim the cannons. She has a notable ability to keep up a good fight even when all of the webbing outside her shroud has been disabled.

She has no usable cargo capacity.
Armament
10 light cannon mounts | 8 in the bow 2 aft.
Armor
None intrinsic
Can mount two sections of armor on the head.
Requires:
1 Core Crystal (At least small, up to medium)
1 Lift Crystal (At least small, up to medium)
4/8/12 Trim Crystals for poor/avg/good performace
6 reams of webbing

Medium Core Crystal
Progress: 17/15 (5)
Project Complete!

You may now manufacture Medium Core Crystals during the production phase!

It is the beginning of the Revision phase, but you have no dice to spend.

Go take a minute, plan for production, and thank whatever heathen god you sacrificed your soul to for those rolls.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:28 pm »

Well, I guess we only need better cannons and bigger lift crystals now. That prototype will be NASTY for the Wrethi to deal with though. Especially when we get a production line up. Actually, given the skiff losses I'm considering changing over production to the corvettes entirely next turn.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

Lets take the prototype Viper, give it the prototype medium crystal (which desynchronizes more often I think), then fully equip it with cannons and crystals and armour and everything!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2017, 08:34:09 pm »

That depends if it isn't also fully kitted out. That, and the prototype is three medium crystals as connected rather than just the one, ergo that prototype isn't going to be able to be deployed on our new viper.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:55 pm »

That depends if it isn't also fully kitted out. That, and the prototype is three medium crystals as connected rather than just the one, ergo that prototype isn't going to be able to be deployed on our new viper.

The Prototype Viper is not fully kitted out. It's just the hull.

The Prototype Medium Core Crystal is a medium core crystal. It can be fit in a slot designed for a medium core crystal. It is made from three small core crystals grown together.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2017, 08:39:18 pm »

Ah, okay. So, is the production version also a three crystal setup or is it just a singular one? And under what conditions does the prototype desync?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:03 pm »

I thought it was three small crystals together that ended up as the same size as a medium crystal but with more output.

Edit: I propose all viper class ships be given names based on snakes.  With the first one obviously being Viper...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 178