Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 53522 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »

EDIT: I haven't touched pikachu17. I might if it turns out I'm on his side.

Oh that reminds me. You're, like, feeding her, right? Just checking every once and a while to make sure she has food and drink?

Also, since you have water now anyway, you can replace her booze with it to remove that happy thought.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2017, 01:18:10 pm »

I'm on Puppyguard's side. Derpy Dev was the agressor. Also, Derpy Dev is trying to make me crazy, just because I pointed out that he misspelled something.
Didn't bloop_bleep kill Puppyguard's husband?
I think Alpha is on Puppguard's side.
Who else is there?
Also, am I saying the wrong name? Is the premier non-Derpy Dev side Puppyguard?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »

I killed Alpha's husband.

Also, apparently I'm on Derpy Dev's side. You're not going free anytime soon, I guess.

Yes, the original conflict was between Derpy Dev and Puppyguard, so you're saying the right names.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »

So, there's something I wanted to ask you guys. This is a remake of another succession fort, and I thought it was obvious that when this one falls to one of our revenge plots going too far, we were going to do another one.

So, I found a mod that I've been trying out for a bit that I would like to try for the next incarnation when we get too it. Is anyone here opposed to a modded succession fort? The mod in question is a cave expansion mod called What Lurks Below.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:42 pm »

So, there's something I wanted to ask you guys. This is a remake of another succession fort, and I thought it was obvious that when this one falls to one of our revenge plots going too far, we were going to do another one.

So, I found a mod that I've been trying out for a bit that I would like to try for the next incarnation when we get too it. Is anyone here opposed to a modded succession fort? The mod in question is a cave expansion mod called What Lurks Below.
Not at all. I've already internalized most of the characteristics of pretty much all of the base game creatures, so it should add an extra level of challenge.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2017, 10:50:43 pm »

(Hopefully) final design kinks and details worked out. 'Tis time to plan out exactly where I'm going to place everything, then construction can start.

EDIT: Ummmm... I decided to check, and it turns out pikachu17 has died. Yeah.... Still consistent with which side I'm on, so that's a bonus, I guess.

Fakeedit: Oh wait... but I can see him alive in his chamber! Was there a second pikachu that died? His profession was "Meat Shield." I think I have to reread this fort's history, since I seem to be forgetting a lot of stuff.

EDIT 2: Update on pikachu17's mental state. She seems to be getting mostly bad thoughts, but she's getting some inebriation and admiration thoughts as well. Might have to modify that.

EDIT 3: Done some more designing.

Basically, the spacial accommodations are thus:

• The entire 3D printer design takes up a space of 24x23 (width x height) over 7 z-levels.
  • The actual printing space has dimensions of 15x15 over 4 z-levels.
  • The water pump stack is 7 z-levels tall, of which 3 z-levels extend below the space allotted for the 3D printer.
  • The magma pump stack is 15 z-levels tall, of which 8 z-levels extend below the space allotted for the 3D printer.

Also, I've designated a channel to be dug in pikachu17's room for a well and ordered all her booze dumped. (The room was conveniently placed over the cavern lake.)

You will remain sober until your mind and your beard shrivel away from the lack of alcohol.

EDIT 4: Here's some screenshots.

Level 0

This is the bottom level of the tree farm. The four channeling designations are where I'm going to route power down through the tree farm floor -- from left to right, they are for Machine 1, the pump between the water reservoir and the printer space, the water pump stack, and the magma pump stack.
Level 1

Here we see the magma reservoir on top of the printer space and the magma pump connected to it. Also next to it is the 3x5 space I allotted for "Machine 1" from the linking description.
Level 2-3

Here we have the magma pump next to a room where the hanging doors (level 2) or hanging floodgates (level 3) will be.
Level 4

This level is a little more complicated to explain than the rest. The weirdly-shaped space I ordered to dig out around the printer space is the water reservoir -- I originally planned it to be the same size and shape as the printer space but I decided to make it look this way to save space. The three lines of designations between the two spaces are, from left to right, the channel to pump water into the printer space, the
water pump stack, and the magma pump stack.
Level 5-7

This is pretty basic -- just the last 3 levels of printer space and the water & magma pumps.

EDIT 5: I'm ordering the alcohol itself to be dumped out of the barrels right in front of pikachu17's face for extra shock value.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:26:33 am by bloop_bleep »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2017, 01:22:44 am »

PTW
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:51 am »

23x24x7? That's larger than I expected, that's larger than most forts. You could literally print a fortress!

...Might be good idea to print workshop complexes taking advantage of obsidian-casting to shorten travel paths between raw material and workshop. Not aesthetic by itself, but useful.

Okay, 15x15x4 is somewhat smaller,  but still big enough for any production chain optimization several times over.

Nice layout on printer, I'm assuming you're planning it to work in successive casting layers?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2017, 09:37:00 am »

I'm not opposed. Are we going to add any other mods? I can't think of any I'd like at the moment, but other people might like some mods added.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »

I'm not opposed. Are we going to add any other mods? I can't think of any I'd like at the moment, but other people might like some mods added.

Well, if anyone here has a suggestion for another one, tell me!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »

Actually, I just thought of one; Fortress Defense.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:25 pm »

A modded sequel sounds awesome. I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but if I think of any, I'll mention them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »

For What Lurks below, I suggest aiming to embark with at least 2 dry and 2 wet caverns on embark for more variety. PatrikLundell's biomemanipulator can help with this, though it's still probably going to require fair amount of trying I guess. At least others won't be knowing what reveal reveals, though it might be best to write a dedicated script for finding good embark sites for this.

Furthermore, if already using his scripts, using regionmanipulator to have a 9-biome embark with a moderate-sized central spire, maybe surrounded by circular river sounds quite nice option for semi-natural fortress following the pattern of landscape. Since using what lurks below, better do that on a cave. With kobolds in it, if next version.

(Having all other neighbours available as decent options for sieges or trades who also will not die or get into catfight with each other also sounds nice.)

((Tbh, it's not following the theme of "game without forges", but I've been thinking of a medieval town/balkanization/iterated partially-overlapping embarks themed succession in next version once first few fixes are done and dfhack is updated as well.))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:22:02 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2017, 08:04:21 pm »

For What Lurks below, I suggest aiming to embark with at least 2 dry and 2 wet caverns on embark for more variety. PatrikLundell's biomemanipulator can help with this, though it's still probably going to require fair amount of trying I guess. At least others won't be knowing what reveal reveals, though it might be best to write a dedicated script for finding good embark sites for this.

Furthermore, if already using his scripts, using regionmanipulator to have a 9-biome embark with a moderate-sized central spire, maybe surrounded by circular river sounds quite nice option for semi-natural fortress following the pattern of landscape. Since using what lurks below, better do that on a cave. With kobolds in it, if next version.

(Having all other neighbours available as decent options for sieges or trades who also will not die or get into catfight with each other also sounds nice.)

((Tbh, it's not following the theme of "game without forges", but I've been thinking of a medieval town/balkanization/iterated partially-overlapping embarks themed succession in next version once first few fixes are done and dfhack is updated as well.))

(Has literally never used any of the tools you mentioned before)

I have a habit of playing DF with literally zero extensions xD I'll have to look all of those up and see how they work.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »

Ctrl+F PatrikLundell here to see me listing links. His work is without a doubt the current pinnacle of pre-embark/during-worldgen site adjustment, though there are few things outside the purview of his scripts such as converting magma pipes to volcanoes. Doesn't need to keep using dfhack to keep the changes, btw.

All what I've listed is possible in vanilla unmodded DF without tools as well, but really, incredibly, nightmarishly difficult to generate all at once (irl months to create, compared to minutes with the tools). Fortification of Nuts might come in closest, though it was modded.

While my solstice chronicle embark technically can have 9 biomes on 1x1 with purely stock DF, only 3 of those are on actual ground and 1 overlaps with others. I abandoned going for 6+ when I couldn't get an embark smaller than 3x1 with five booze land biomes. Now, when somebody asks for cliffs in worldgen thread, I'm like "on the one hand, could spend hours generating a proper sharp cliff, and on the other hand could simply point them to tool that can put one almost anywhere via just max width river+mountain."

I haven't really explored the full possibilities available with his tools, but they also includes things like populating missing 20% of species, uniform fortress construction, land features completely unavailable in vanilla such as small valleys and hellholes to caverns or deeper and reanimating good embarks with living creatures and syndrome rain/cloud.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:40:08 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27