Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 53501 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #315 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:30 pm »

Ctrl+F PatrikLundell here to see me listing links. His work is without a doubt the current pinnacle of pre-embark/during-worldgen site adjustment, though there are few things outside the purview of his scripts such as converting magma pipes to volcanoes. Doesn't need to keep using dfhack to keep the changes, btw.

All what I've listed is possible in vanilla unmodded DF without tools as well, but really, incredibly, nightmarishly difficult to generate all at once (irl months to create, compared to minutes with the tools). Fortification of Nuts might come in closest, though it was modded.

While my solstice chronicle embark technically can have 9 biomes on 1x1 with purely stock DF, only 3 of those are on actual ground and 1 overlaps with others. I abandoned going for 6+ when I couldn't get an embark smaller than 3x1 with five booze land biomes. Now, when somebody asks for cliffs in worldgen thread, I'm like "on the one hand, could spend hours generating a proper sharp cliff, and on the other hand could simply point them to tool that can put one almost anywhere via just max width river+mountain."

I haven't really explored the full possibilities available with his tools, but they also includes things like populating missing 20% of species, uniform fortress construction, land features completely unavailable in vanilla such as small valleys and hellholes to caverns or deeper and reanimating good embarks with living creatures and syndrome rain/cloud.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Actually, I just thought of one; Fortress Defense.

It took a minute to find this, but when I did...

Good lord, this sounds like the hardest mod in existence. If we do use it, we'll certainly do challenge mode because harder is better 100% of the time.

Also, if anyone else has a mod to suggest, please provide a link!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:55 pm »

If using fortress defence, if I dimly recall correctly it's both part of MWDF and their civs have the annoying settings of lack of unique spawning biome limitations (I think I worked with ...Feryakin? Feldakin? (Don't recall the exact name cleary) on a small world map with all fort defence civs over discord where that came up.)

If painting the world map on your own, might want to mod their start tiles to be biome-limited so that one can isolate their civs from each other (but not from your embark site, of course, a concern massively lessened in next version). While at it, might also do that for goblins, while at it, due them having same problematic tendency of stealing places you intended for dwarves or humans. Though, given I don't think there are 20+ biomes in vanilla, it's going to be bit tricky to manage even with that.

Oh yeah, regarding all those mods: It's going to remove pyLNP's ability to easily adjust graphics sets and tilesets that change raws. There might be other merge-tools for combining mods that are smarter, maybe (I'm not 100% certain), but tileset/graphics set used is something better to consider before generation.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »

Progress report!

I am currently one month into construction, and in this time I seem to have accomplished more than I did in three months with the silk farm.

I have already dug out the housing for both pump stacks, though digging out the power path is slow going and requires a lot of careful thinking to make sure that no dwarves get stranded. The tree farm power conduit is built and its connections to where the pumps will be placed are almost built. The surface windmill system is well under way; I have 2 windmills up out of 9. A significant portion of the printing area and the water reservoir has been dug out. I haven't started on the hanging doors & floodgates yet, but I will get to that soon. I have completely dug out and built Machine 1 and already have started linking some of the pressure plates in the water reservoir.

And in all this time I still haven't succeeded in getting pikachu's well up.

She's currently "Thirsty." I'll have to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't dehydrate.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:43 pm »

Progress report!

I am currently one month into construction, and in this time I seem to have accomplished more than I did in three months with the silk farm.

I have already dug out the housing for both pump stacks, though digging out the power path is slow going and requires a lot of careful thinking to make sure that no dwarves get stranded. The tree farm power conduit is built and its connections to where the pumps will be placed are almost built. The surface windmill system is well under way; I have 2 windmills up out of 9. A significant portion of the printing area and the water reservoir has been dug out. I haven't started on the hanging doors & floodgates yet, but I will get to that soon. I have completely dug out and built Machine 1 and already have started linking some of the pressure plates in the water reservoir.

She's currently "Thirsty." I'll have to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't dehydrate.

This will certainly make her crazier faster.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2017, 12:21:53 pm »

Progress report!

Well, actually, I just checked her status screen, and apparently she's getting a lot of "gratitude" thoughts from receiving water.

I better build that thing fast.

EDIT: So uh, I got an announcement saying some animals were starving, so instead of sorting out all the grazers I just decided to pasture everything in the tree farm.

And released some creeping eyes by accident. This should be fun...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:04:41 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:31 pm »

Progress report!

Well, actually, I just checked her status screen, and apparently she's getting a lot of "gratitude" thoughts from receiving water.

For the love of Armok woman, will you quit looking at the positive side of things and go crazy!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »

Progress report!

For the love of Armok woman, will you quit looking at the positive side of things and go crazy!
But look how thin I am getting from this diet food! And look how pretty the rotting pile of corpses is! How can I feel unpleasant? This is a great looking temple!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »

Oh, I also released some magma crabs.

And a troll.

And possibly a blind cave ogre.

Just thought you would want to know.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »

And a troll.

And possibly a blind cave ogre.

Just thought you would want to know.

Sweet unmerciful Armok what have you done.

But look how thin I am getting from this diet food! And look how pretty the rotting pile of corpses is! How can I feel unpleasant? This is a great looking temple!

The mad queen slams her head into her artifact bed multiple times, clearly at her wit's end.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »

The mad queen slams her head into her artifact bed multiple times, clearly at her wit's end.
Rather ironic that when Derpy Dev tries to make me crazy, SHE is the one at her wit's end, isn't it? The power of positive thinking!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:49 pm »

In the booze stockpile or tree farm? Or both?

(The crabs probably got to making crabs immediately too.)

Still, nice progress bloop_bleep. For the hanging doors and floodgates, have a tip: You can dig downstairs into natural floor, floor it over, build your floodgate/door/pressure plate/etc, and then quickly mass-deconstruct all floors to replace them with downstairs that water can pass through, but that you can still walk over to link things to buildings.

Linking, though...is still going to be annoying though, depending on setup. Maybe best not to wait with it until the whole thing is finished, since then you have 450 item long list to scroll through, but just do it line by line last 15 items every time (can't link all doors up in 1 paused segment anyway since operated by mechanisms blocks movement.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:53:08 pm by Fleeting Frames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:41 pm »

In the tree farm.

It's on fire now.

Everything is burning.

EDIT: Made a pond zone in an attempt to contain it. Maybe I should also channel out a firebreak?

EDIT 2: Oh god they're not digging WHY AREN'T THEY DIGGING SHIT SHIT SHIT
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:57:26 pm by bloop_bleep »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 11, 2017, 02:10:32 pm »

Too hot walkable floor, can't path to dig designation. Could also make firebreaks with building dirt floors.

Also, lol'd @attempting to put out entire surface-scale fire with buckets.

I think it is best to abandon the tree farm to magma crabs for now.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:35 pm »

It actually looks like they were just too busy with other stuff, even when I put 1 dig priority.

I'll have to either let the tree farm burn to a crisp or savescum from last save.

EDIT: In my defense, it was only a few tiles big when it started out.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »

It actually looks like they were just too busy with other stuff, even when I put 1 dig priority.

I'll have to either let the tree farm burn to a crisp or savescum from last save.

EDIT: In my defense, it was only a few tiles big when it started out.

LET IT BURN.

Also, screenshots?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27