Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 53633 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2017, 10:20:11 am »

Yep. Goes from x to X to XX before it disappears and Ludosm moves on to the next door.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2017, 11:00:22 am »

Huh, I thought it was a 2x2 embark from the OP.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:34 am »

Oh, yes it is, actually. I for some reason thought it looked like a 1x1. Still not a lot of available space.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:06 pm »

Yep. Goes from x to X to XX before it disappears and Ludosm moves on to the next door.

Wow, that's really cool. Didn't know that happened honestly.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2017, 12:16:24 am »

Update time! I'm not gonna roleplay it because I'm too lazy for that right now.

So, I loaded up the save, and thought about stuff I could do.
The first thing I thought of (because someone mentioned it earlier) was a silk farm.

Though not with our tame giant cave spiders. That would be too easy. I will instead use the feral and bloodthirsty bird-beast we currently have contained, because Dwarf Fortress.

I found a nice open area I could use and immediately began digging it out. I built a bunch of levers outside the entrance and linked them up to bridges I had placed inside. I began mass-producing doors and placing them as bait in the hallway leading right up to the room Ludosm was contained in.

(Note: This snapshot was taken before the crash. In my second attempt there were many fewer doors.)

I then burrowed my dwarf near the levers and set their profile to only allow me.

It was time to release the monster. My dwarf enlisted a miner known as Shovel to do so, making sure not to reveal the exact specifics of the job.

He didn't last long.

(Yes, that's right. Ludosm bit off the head of the miner in one hit both before, *and* after the crash.)

After Ludosm had broken his way through the initial few doors, it caught sight of the squad I had stationed in the silk chamber and began squirting gooey, viscous liquid everywhere. The squad was quickly caught in the spray and immobilized.

The silk farm was operational.

I then reset the levers' profiles to allow everyone and put the production lever on repeat.

Note: Whatever you do, DON'T PULL THE LEFT TWO LEVERS NEXT TO THE SILK FARM. One of them releases Ludosm back into the hallway, making the silk farm unoperational but otherwise doing nothing of substance. The other one will release Ludosm into the fortress. I've made notes so you shouldn't get confused.

Current date is the 20th of Late Spring.

For those who are curious, this is the specific cave-in that killed Doctor Sock.

And this is how much dust it caused.

In other news: I recently solved a major problem in my 3D printer design and felt euphoria for the next half hour -- the same kind I get after solving a difficult math problem. I just have to figure out where to place a couple things and then everything should be all set for construction. I should probably get around to making a design post sometime soon, but I'm going away for a couple days and don't know if I'll have the time.

EDIT: Whoops -- I just realized the cave-in dust picture was the wrong one, because of the wrong sapling characters. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:31:24 am by bloop_bleep »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2017, 04:09:40 am »

That's a lot of doors. I've read lesser amount of doors stopping the hfs cold due pathing bugs!

You could have kept Shovel completely safe with old "dig through a bridge from below on ramp" trick. It's extra effort, but you could.
Well, bye, innocent shovel.

Hm, seems like the silk farm suffers from the dual problems of needing to atomsmash your legendary warrior to stop and needing Ludsom to move 1 tile to enclose them in.

......I'd wall off the lever that releases Ludsom back into fortress.

As for the screenshots, I look at the characters on walls, myself, to determine tileset mishaps. Though there are some that are almost the same with only like few tiles changed from vanilla (i.e. several tilesets in tileset repository change 255 to be pillar tile to have one different from O.)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2017, 08:52:20 am »

......I'd wall off the lever that releases Ludsom back into fortress.

I'd re-label it Atom Smasher and wait.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2017, 11:58:51 am »

Hm, seems like the silk farm suffers from the dual problems of needing to atomsmash your legendary warrior to stop and needing Ludsom to move 1 tile to enclose them in.
Yeah, I fixed those things after I made the snapshot. Ludosm is now completely trapped and the squad is stationed near the middle of the room instead of the corner like it was before.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2017, 07:45:44 pm »

Time for my printer design!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the linkings:
Code: [Select]
Print lever (performs function when switched to open): Linked to A and B
Machine 1 (sends open when R1 becomes empty, sends close 100 ticks later): Linked to A, B, C, and D.
Cleanup lever (performs function when switched to open): Linked to E.

Don't have time to write up an explanation right now. Think about it yourself for a while before I post it!

EDIT: The hanging doors in the printer area (above the floodgates) are each individually linked to levers that control which tiles are to be printed in the current layer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:50:11 pm by bloop_bleep »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:01 am »

Yeah that should work.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2017, 07:25:04 am »

But can you do it without forges?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2017, 08:50:30 am »

But can you do it without forges?

Yeah, we have plenty of clear glass for the magma and water pump stacks.

...that doesn't count as a forge, right?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2017, 12:51:16 pm »

So uh, role call, who is on Derpy Dev's side, and who is on Puppyguard's side?
I think I am on Puppyguard's side.

Bloop_bleep, is Pikachu17 still going insane, or did you let him free?

Also, advance warning, I may have to play Necrothreat, instead of this.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2017, 01:56:58 pm »

So uh, role call, who is on Derpy Dev's side, and who is on Puppyguard's side?
I think I am on Puppyguard's side.

I'm still not entirely sure whose side I'm on. I think I'm leaning a little bit towards Derpy Dev's side, though.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 07, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »

I think I am on the opposite side that Alpha is on.

We really need to make a compilation of all revenge and other negative actions done between players, so we can see who is where on the political spectrum.

EDIT: I haven't touched pikachu17. I might if it turns out I'm on his side.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:50:38 pm by bloop_bleep »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27