Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591565 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6420 on: June 12, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »

Quote from: Revisions
(8) Burning Tiger: LightForger, eS, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Conscript Five, NAV, helmacon, QuakeIV
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6421 on: June 13, 2018, 01:46:08 am »

'Burning Engineer' Flare Correction
Charmingly named after what happened to the latest group of engineers who failed to do a competent job. Hopefully inspired by what happened to their predecessors the new flares burn a the same approximate temperate as our turbine engines. If the engineers want to get a bit of extra life insurance; chaff is also to be created.

uhh I was gonna post this like two hours ago

Normal: 4
Burning Engineer Flare Correction:
The Burning Tiger flares are much, much brighter, with their burn accelerated by copper filaments, and ever-so-little amounts of Hydrazine (which we are assured is relatively safe). In addition they launch from the plane on a small rocket charge rather than limply falling out. They should prove much more distracting to missiles. Chaff was created as well, in the form of rolls of aluminum foil ribbons which can be released from a spring-loaded container. Until Cannala actually develops radar-guided missiles for use against aircraft, they will primarily be loaded with multi-color dyed ribbons for use in parades.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6422 on: June 13, 2018, 04:19:11 am »

Can we stick them on ships and tanks and hope for some results? I am suspecting that the chaff might need to be fired at the painter-team rather than the missile, but meh, I wouldn't know...

Or maybe a haast can cover a tank?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: June 13, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »

could we revise the horsekiller II? I was reading the battle report and the Cannalan Rifle is pretty decent. If we could reduce the weight of the horsekiller though, we may get an advantage in mobility. Also I want to try to make Kevlar. The Greeks did it, in fact Alexander the Great sustained a gut shot form a ballista bolt and his compressed cloth and glue armor saved him. We also have 1960's tech so I don't see why we can't have Kevlar developed. If creating Kevlar armor to replace the freaking tiger armor counts as a revision. I think this would best be done in a design phase though. But because I may not give input during design phase here it is.
Leopard Bulletproof Armor
Leopard Bulletproof Armor, or LBA for short, is and is composed of 25 lbs of layered kevlar in a vest and a kevlar/steel helmet weighing in at around 3 lbs. Although the vest is still heavy, it is lighter than tiger armor and the with the helmet is lighter than the full suit of tiger armor. It does have less coverage than tiger armor around the lower body but makes up for that by protecting the vital regions from the waist up. The armor protects against small arms, fragmentation and a few larger rounds. The armor is to undergo a trial phase in trivial engagements, and will undergo further testing via strapping it on a dummy and letting a few rounds loose. A key feature of the LBA is that it can have a camouflage pattern draped over it to match the surrounding area. Modernized camouflage to be developed. Both camouflage and armor is to be utilized specifically in the jungle and the armor in compact areas, cities, arenas, etc.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:09:44 pm by Caesar Josephus »
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: June 13, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »

could we revise the horsekiller II?  ...  Also I want to try to make Kevlar.

Your heart's in the right place, but infantry weapons systems are the only place we're not terribly behind in right now.  Air superiority (AA missiles, cheaper radar, cheaper fighter), night vision, and naval are our massive shortcomings.  Once those are out of the way, we might be able to get back to infantry gear.

Still, that's not a bad design, and kevlar as a material would be nice for small boat and aircraft design.  It's just not the right time for it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:18:54 pm by ConscriptFive »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #6425 on: June 13, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »

Kevlar and similar advanced polymers are far beyond our tech level, though. They require advanced techniques to develop and seem to be fairly hard to discover. However, if we just used something that's already been developed in-game (not sure what, maybe a nylon derivative, which is what Kevlar is, though IIRC Kevlar was developed in the 50s or 60s) and made something like the Greek lamellar armor (linen/cloth armor with thin metal layers in it), but with our SUPER MOSKURGER MANGALLOY FORGING SECRETS to insert a thin-ish layer of mangalloy plating into the vest, we might be able to provide pretty darn good protection for our basic soldiers.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: June 13, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Strategy:
(0) Vlanvlados:
(1) Top: eS
(0) Middle:
(1) Bottom: eS

Espionage:
(1) Steal Balefire [UFAF-ATAM-44 "Aabir"]: eS

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: June 13, 2018, 03:30:38 pm »

Strategy:
(1) Vlanvlados: Piratejoe
(2) Top: eS, Piratejoe
(0) Middle:

Espionage:
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: June 13, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »

Strategy:
(1) Vlanlados: Piratejoe, Powder Miner
(3) Top: eS, Piratejoe
(0) Middle:

Espionage:
(1) Sabotage the Kraken-C: Powder Miner
With the Kraken-C sabotage we'd be so spoiled for front choice I don't actually know what to choose besides top lmao

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: June 13, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »

Strategy:
(3) Vlanlados: Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Lightforger
(4) Top: eS, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Lightforger
(0) Middle:

Espionage:
(2) Sabotage the Kraken-C: Powder Miner, Lightforger

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:26 pm »

Strategy:
(5) Top: eS, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus
(1) Middle: Taricus

Espionage:
(3) Sabotage the Kraken-C: Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: June 13, 2018, 05:44:11 pm »

Strategy:
(6) Top: eS, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus, Madman
(2) Middle: Taricus, Madman

Espionage:
(4) Sabotage the Kraken-C: Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus, Madman

I don't want to invade Vlanlados, but I'm not sure on the middle or bottom lanes. I'm going to vote middle to push back two jungles this turn, but I could be convinced either way, I expect.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: June 13, 2018, 07:53:12 pm »

Strategy:
(7) Top: eS, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus, Madman, Quake
(3) Middle: Taricus, Madman, Quake

Espionage:
(2) Steal Balefire [UFAF-ATAM-44 "Aabir"]: eS, Quake
(4) Sabotage the Kraken-C: Powder Miner, Lightforger, Taricus, Madman
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:36 pm »

Why we should invade Vlanlados. 1, if we invade and they don't we just take the island. 2. The same applies the other way around. 3. Nukes will end the game, and if progress is decided by dice rolls, well, we're fucked if they get that Island
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »

It was going to be like 4-5 designs, so my take on it is we should let them have it for a couple turns, so we can play catch up while they design their nuke.  Then we start designing to take it.

Its not like we can design a nuke right away, we are currently three turns from death in the worst case scenario, which is the scenario we would be looking at if we started spending all our designs on nukes.  And if we didnt start designing a nuke right after taking vlanlados, then why did we go to the trouble of taking it?

Unrelated to that:

We should steal the balefire or aswang with the espionage, I think we can hold the desert. 

That sabotage mainly cripples them in the sea and the air.  Their bulls also go up in price but those don't matter unless they fixed their desert performance issues, and I think there is a good chance they spent part of their design effort on taking vlanlados.  Sea doesn't matter hugely in the desert, and in terms of air power we should do much better if our lightning streaks and frightenings finally have working flares to help them shake off those missiles that have been murdering them.

And I mean the flares help us more than just in gaining air superiority, I think.  If our bombers and haasts can start surviving in contested airspace again, I think there is a real chance that a big chunk of our old advantages could come back.  We can suddenly bomb and strafe them again, hopefully.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:35:22 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 500