Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591840 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6300 on: June 02, 2018, 12:17:28 am »

I'm all for artemis b then. If we can't win in the desert then it won't matter whether or not our flares work.

Quote from: Vote box
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (0) -
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (9) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV, voidslayer, Happerry, Parsely, Caesar Josephus
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" (0) -
UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" Version 2: (4) - Wizgrot, Zanzetkuken, Kashyyk, Piratejoe
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (7) - Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Stabby, MoP
UF-SPA-44 "Demolisher": (0) -
Infantry QoL: (2) - Sensei, Kot

I added you to the list.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6301 on: June 02, 2018, 12:39:49 pm »

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B

An amphibious multiple rocket launcher, with a mobile lightweight frame based on an updated version of our Tiger truck.  It has portal axles, six-wheel drive, and different tires available designed for different terrains, including big, wide desert tires to help mitigate performance issues in the desert.  It carries 3 meter long 120mm rockets, and has an intended accurate range of 30km, carrying a 20kg warhead, the rockets are launched electrically as in the SARUKH.  The rockets are banked in grids of 40 rockets, 4 rows of 10, in tubes.  The rocket grid is meant to tilt back to 90 degrees as part of its regular elevation mechanism to drop a grid of rockets onto the ground and quickly load another grid stood up on its end from a truck.  The intention of this feature is to quickly reload as an improvement on the SARUKHs relatively lackluster effective rate of fire.  It can lock its suspension to provide a stable platform of fire, and its aiming mechanism and panoramic telescope sight are designed to try to extend its accurate range out to the full 30 kilometers.  The rocket rack can be aimed, operated, and fired from the crew cabin to allow the Artemis to fire quickly before relocating.

Has high air intakes and exhaust to allow it to ford rivers, Light cabin armor, and a brand-new invention our engineers are calling "Air Conditioning" in order to keep the cabin bearable in the scorching desert. Comes with the PAROI Party logo, as they graciously funded the Artemis' development.

Comes with camo netting to set up over it, assuming that is not a hugely difficult thing to throw in.  Can be used with our other equipment as well.

Pattern B ditches the APC design for a more straight-forward flatbed truck design.  Because I didn't think the original was ambitious enough, I included a brand-new concept called "Air Conditioning", which should provide us a huge bonus in the desert this turn.

With a 9-7 lead and no new votes in the last few hours, I'm declaring the design locked.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6302 on: June 02, 2018, 03:58:45 pm »

I was gonna give you bullshit for making it amphibious while also being on a "lightweight frame based on the Tiger truck" but the dice have smiled on your today.

Hard: 6
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis":
The Artemis is a mobile rocket launcher, on an amphibious truck chassis. The truck itself slightly resembles a Salamander, but lacking armor, with the same hexagonal cabin, but which cuts short for a bed. The motor is directly below the cabin, between the front two steering wheels, and powers four drive wheels and two small propellers towards the rear. The wheels have large, wide tires and sit on portal axles for clearance. The weapon system sits in the bed of the truck, and consists of a 4x10 array of 40 rocket tubes. In each rocket tube is a 120mm rocket, 3 meters in length, which rotates 360 degrees and elevates to 90 degrees (which is used for the reload process) under hydraulic power from the motor while the vehicle is deployed.      The fin-stabilized rockets are accurate to 12km, and at can be fired to 15km at maximum. Each carries a 20kg warhead, comparable to a much wider artillery shell, and weighs 60kg in total with its body and solid propellant. The missiles are reloaded an entire rack at a time, while the aiming apparatus is in full vertical position, from a second truck with a hoist. To reload or fire, the Artemis must deploy stabilizers which takes about 90 seconds, and the same time to prepare to move again. Lastly it has a device called an "air conditioner" which somehow makes cold air inside the cabin through some pressure valve parlor trick, which the crews are absolutely in love with despite its lack of specific combat value. [4 Ore 4 Oil]

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6303 on: June 02, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »

Quote from: Revision
Revision: aT-J30-Q

It took some doing, but we managed to convince the engineer who insulted Leipzig-based consultant Gottfried Q. Wolfram to apologize and convince him to come back.  With Professor Wolfram on the design team, the aT-J30-Q project is completed as initially planned.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:07:18 am by evictedSaint »

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6304 on: June 02, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »

Sweet! Can we revise it with interchangeable warheads? Like Instead of a direct strike the warhead fragments and "showers" smaller explosives? That would make it most effective against large groups. Then for an accurate strike the missile could be armed with a conventional warhead.
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: June 02, 2018, 05:49:52 pm »

So does the firecracker munition already come in 20kg size or do we need to spend a revision on it?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: June 02, 2018, 06:33:21 pm »

We have warhead doctrine, so I would think there is an argument for the firecracker already being used on it.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:20 pm »

The firecracker, I would think, is less of a delivery system that a warhead. Additionally there might be some complications with the altimeter fuse, because missiles are going fast which could mess with the reading and their flight trajectory alone might cause it to split prematurely, since they might be at low altitude a long way from the target.

I'll have to think about whether it even qualifies as a warhead. If it does then probably the Cannalans' Rum Barrel cluster bomb does too.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:38 am »

Quote from: Votes
aT-J30-Q (1) - QuakeIV
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: June 03, 2018, 01:48:04 am »

Since it is a new version of the engine, can we call it QQ?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: June 03, 2018, 04:04:44 am »

aT-J30-Q (2) - QuakeIV, Powder Miner
    -Name the altered plane the VVF-QQ variant though (1): Powder Miner

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: June 03, 2018, 04:37:26 am »

UFAF-APS-44 "Parlor Trick"

Improving upon the embarrassingly lack-luster "Reality Check", the United Forenian Air Force Active Protection System 1944 "Parlor Trick" is a flare system that actually works.

These new flares burn much hotter, at temperatures comparable to the signature of an aircraft engine and for a longer duration.  The flares are inserted into the ejection block at a 60° angle, reducing the overall height of the block and enabling it to be inserted into the empty space of an aircraft's fuselage rather than being bolted cumbersomely to the outside.  If space is still an issue, the externally-mounted system can come with lightweight fiberglass endcaps to make the APS blister more aerodynamic.

The Parlor Trick comes in varying sizes, allowing larger blocks to be affixed to aircraft that have the space (such as the VVF or Reckless) or smaller blocks for planes that don't have as much free space (such as the Lightning or Haast).

We make sure to test the new system out thoroughly, considering we now have an actual copy of their missile to test against (and more importantly, its lock-on system).

You know, after thinking about it, a cheaper fighter won't do much for us if they get shot down from three miles away by a supersonic missile.  I know it sucks, but we really need our fighters to actually be able to get into combat.

Our general got shot down last turn, guys.  We're letting Tereshkova down. :(

UFAF-APS-43 "Parlor Trick" (1) - eS
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:44:28 pm by evictedSaint »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1943 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #6312 on: June 03, 2018, 08:01:56 am »

Quote from: Revision
UFAF-ACC-44 'Shepard'

"Stand among the graves of thousands of dead Forenians and ask the ghosts if honor matters.  The silence is your answer."

Some old-timers deride the new era of "push button warfare."  All as if there was more honor in the traditional mano-a-mano aerial dogfight of days past.  A true knight of the skies doesn't need RADAR, missiles or even wingmen.  The Shepard aerial command center aims to put that notion to rest.
Visually identified by its characteristic radome, the tried and true Reckless Effect airframe has been modified into a flying command center.  The airframe has plenty of space to mount a de-complexified Deadliest Ray RADAR system, essentially bringing the command tower forward to the fight.  No longer can maverick flyboys ignore commands from base claiming "poor comms."  Fighter jocks are irked by this development, but are at least glad to have RADAR 'sheparding' their maneuvers now.  To meet complaints from Haast aviators about "never being pointed to anything good to blow up," the command center compartment includes CAS liason officer on a common-air-ground frequency radio to direct in-air assets to fleeting targets of opportunity.  Entirely a support C3 asset, the airframe mounts no weapons itself, and relies upon high altitude operation, counter measures, and coordination of air superiority assets as defense.  More skittish officers request a pressurized cabin and electric coffee pot to entice them out of their cozy offices, but engineers remain skeptic.

Not voting for it yet, but we're still stuck with a complex RADAR that we literally only have one of in the air.  Every aerial engagement is essentially an ambush against us.  That and our lack of anti-air missiles (again, only the VVF) are what's really killing us up there.  If you look at some of the ridiculous shit the Yars have snuck into revisions (didn't they blow a revision roll on the Spearhead and still get hardpoints?), I don't think sticking it in a cargo plane is an unreasonable ask.  Even if we blow the decomplex, we'll at least have an expensive RADAR in the air, as opposed to a single one.

UFAF-APS-43 "Parlor Trick" (1) - eS
UFAF-ACC-44 "Shepard" (0)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:21:28 am by ConscriptFive »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:39 am »

We have more than a single radar. The VVF-Q still flies, and the radar version is VE

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: June 03, 2018, 09:33:34 am »

We have more than a single radar. The VVF-Q still flies, and the radar version is VE

Actually no.  Per the Winter '43 rollout:

"The Q model without radar isn't much used either, while its performance is better than the Lightning Streak its potentially dangerous engine failures have caused fatalities on landing procedures, so the risk isn't seen as worthwhile."

As it basically can't land, the pilots are refusing the fly the Q's.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 500