Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591806 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6270 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:36 pm »

Quote from: Vote box
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (1) - Happery
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (5) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV
UF-GALT-43 "Last Chance" (0) -
UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" (0)
UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" Version 2: (5) Wizgrot, Zanzetkuken, Kashyyk, Piratejoe, Parsely
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (4) Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus
UF-SPA-44 "Demolisher": (0)
Infantry QoL: (1) Kot

Whatever, I guess.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6271 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:46 pm »

UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" VERSION 2- ALL CREDIT TO LIGHTFORGER

The shield maiden is a new radar system able to be mounted on any of our air craft. In no way inspire by our foes the systems makes use of a cheap, way more precise, traveling-wave tube amplifier to minimize it's size although if that proves an issue it can be swapped out with a cheap cavity radar. When mounted on the Haast or Lighting streak the antennae and dish is mounted on top of the tail fin removing the need to move around internal parts as well as providing it with an excellence field of view. Rather then a tracking feature the radar system includes a new auto-flare feature. The flares used by the system are slightly modified from our current flares in two main ways first off they are now powered by rockets.

Other then reducing the risk of PAROI rioting it makes the system smaller and lighter(as it no longing need to withstand the force of whatever charge we were using before) making it smaller lighter and able to be mounted on all of our planes. Further more the flares are now designed to fall in front of the engine exhaust vastly improving the chance of the missile locking onto them. The auto-flare feature is extremely simple. If the radar detects a object moving at supersonic speeds and, that object is also coming in the rough direction of the aircraft it deploys flares and makes a loud beeping noise. This not only helps reduce the delay from the enemy firing a missile to the flares deploying vastly improving survival chances but, also the beeping noise tells the pilot to preform a sharp turn or in the case of a ice giant pray to their patron deity. The flares are designed to burn as bright as the engine of the plane shooting them, and come tightly packed in a brad new box better integrated in the fuselage in order to reduce air drag.

We can change the flares for chaff containers, that will disperse their load to the air. The more precise nature of the radar should allow it to work despite the chaff.

Some cautionary notes on the Shield Maiden design: (I haven't done final research yet)
-Packing it into the back or an exterior casing on planes like the Haast and Lightning Streak would be a challenge ranging from "troublesome" to "comically impractical" depending. These planes don't have much space left over.
-Any automated system which can identify a radar blip as small, fast, and moving towards the plane, or whatever other criteria you use to judge an incoming missile, would definitely be way too big to pack into a fighter. This is the era of human radar operators and it will likely remain that way for a long time, digital memory is absurdly large and power consuming and this isn't a problem that lends itself to a mechanical computing solution. You might make a radar which can see missiles well (a small challenge in itself) but it would be a pilot/co-pilots job to see the missile on radar and trigger flares.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: May 31, 2018, 11:11:37 pm »

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (1) - Happery
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (5) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV
UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" Version 2: (5) Wizgrot, Zanzetkuken, Kashyyk, Piratejoe, Parsely
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (5) Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger
You know what dumping a ton of designs into one field of focus has worked surprisingly well for Cannala so might as well try it. Also more ties and memes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:15:37 pm by Light forger »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: May 31, 2018, 11:24:23 pm »

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" (0) -
UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (6) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV, Happerry
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (6) Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: June 01, 2018, 01:16:48 am »

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (7) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV, Happerry, voidslayer
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (6) Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry

While I do not like that you reduced the rocket range, at least it is a rocket.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6275 on: June 01, 2018, 02:46:10 am »

Happery, how does mom let you have TWO votes?

UF-MLRS-44 "Artemis" Pattern B (7) - eS, NAV, ConscriptFive, Jilladilla, QuakeIV, Happerry, voidslayer
UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": (7) Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry, Kot
Infantry QoL: (0)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:06:56 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: June 01, 2018, 02:58:44 am »

Just because you are crippled with a linear brain unable to understand binary, doesn't mean everyone else's is. As always, I voted for the options I liked the most and didn't vote for the ones I liked less.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: June 01, 2018, 03:03:44 am »

I'm not really a fan of the multiple votes either. There is always fuckery involved whenever we start changing vote expectations midvote.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:05 am »

The "single vote per person" system is, in a word, abysmaterribawfubadandjustplainwrong, but it is the default that people have been stuck with so long that they haul around with them out of force of momentum and would rather not face the hideous implications of reviewing it with critical thought or statistical analysis, dread any more comprehensive effort... So it is the unassailable default. It is also incredibly simple, so makes the account-keeping super-easy, which is a big plus if you want to keep the game's complexity and massive data-slabs in check! But, yeah, changing it mid-vote is going to cause trouble, and it is what everyone is expecting *planet-breaking sigh*.

I would, however, love to discuss implementing a new system for future decisions. A system of replacement votes would be wonderful, but is a bit too much account-keeping for us, and can be prone to getting locked in a small voting pool. One approrach that seemed almost as simple as dead-stupid-mode but took the edge off of the worst of it is a system of partial votes. Like you could have a vote worth 3 and two votes worth 2 or something, allowing backup-choices to be viable while still forcing focus to inhibit ties from everyone voting for all of the "decent" options...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: June 01, 2018, 09:30:28 am »

Back from my exile/Amish watching and might as well break a tie as well.

UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": [8] Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry, Kot, Stabby
Infantry QoL: (0)
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6280 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:45 am »

UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": [7] Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry, Stabby
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:33 am »

I agree with RAM, actually.

We should move to a prestige-based vote system, where you get a number of votes equal to the number of designs and revisions you've proposed that have been selected and rolled for.

I think this is the fairest system, as it appropriately weights votes by contribution. >_>

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: June 01, 2018, 11:16:09 am »

UFAF-CAS-44 "TURBOHAAST": [8] Andrea, RAM, Powder Miner, Taricus, Lightforger, Happerry, Stabby, MoP

If you think multiple votes are a good idea, I suggest running your own game with that as the rule. If you can keep things from devolving into an even more complicated convoluted mess, then good on you. Otherwise, leave it be, especially this far into a game.

Or instead of multiple votes we can just vote on the design we like least! Or vote for all the designs! Or do away with votes and let the gm choose the design based off a d100!

Sorry, don't want to come off as too salty. As an experienced gm/forum GM elsewhere, it frustrates me when players insist on modifying the rules midgame without GM consent.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:23 am »

Sorry, don't want to come off as too salty. As an experienced gm/forum GM elsewhere, it frustrates me when players insist on modifying the rules midgame without GM consent.
...Wait, how is this modifying the rules midgame? It's not like this is the first time multiple votes have been done in this quest, nor is there anything written down anywhere saying 'everyone shall have one and only one vote'. People just keep assuming they can only vote for one thing, probably because if they don't a few vocal people often try to make snide comments at them. I mean, hell, the only real difference this turn from the previous ones is that this is the first time people got this grumpy after someone did it.
Forenia Forever!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: June 01, 2018, 11:55:03 am »

I mean, hell, the only real difference this turn from the previous ones is that this is the first time people got this grumpy after someone did it.

To be perfectly fair, your double vote did continue a tie. (Although you did narrow it down from a 3-way to a 2-way tie.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 500