Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590872 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4620 on: July 02, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »

We get cheap salamanders and tanks and jets this turn.

Everything becomes cheap.

Having a strong plane to secure our air superiority would do very well on both the sea and land.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: July 02, 2017, 10:26:05 pm »

Oh decisions, decisions... Tank+Parachute seems an easier goal with significant results... But re-achieving air supremacy would have a greater effect, I feel. (We still need to get that parachute soon though.)
Unless we think that the Sobriety will either underperform or be unreasonably difficult, I think I will go with that paired with a Zheleznogorod revision (With catapults for BOTH of its flight decks + not ruining its planes during transit, it should be the better carrier compared to the Santos with that)
With air-supremacy re-established and the Victoria's (We can rename the stolen boat right? UFN-BB-41 'Pirate's Folly' sounds like a good name.) and Cataphract's forming our navy's spine, we should be able to hold against anything they throw at us. (Hopefully even force naval parity! Remember, we did knock them down to Minor Advantage for a few turns with just the Archer and the Wasp's Nest! The skies belong to Forenia! GLORY TO UNITED FORENIA!)

(EDIT: Would like to remind everyone that Cannala can potentially get Cheap Spearheads if they pick Oil, so automatic air superiority is not guaranteed)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:53:55 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »

Oh decisions, decisions... Tank+Parachute seems an easier goal with significant results... But re-achieving air supremacy would have a greater effect, I feel. (We still need to get that parachute soon though.)
Unless we think that the Sobriety will either underperform or be unreasonably difficult, I think I will go with that paired with a Zheleznogorod revision (With catapults for BOTH of its flight decks + not ruining its planes during transit, it should be the better carrier compared to the Santos with that)
With air-supremacy re-established and the Victoria's (We can rename the stolen boat right? UFN-BB-41 'Pirate's Folly' sounds like a good name.) and Cataphract's forming our navy's spine, we should be able to hold against anything they throw at us. (Hopefully even force naval parity! Remember, we did knock them down to Minor Advantage for a few turns with just the Archer and the Wasp's Nest! The skies belong to Forenia! GLORY TO UNITED FORENIA!)

We should name it the  UFN-BB-41 'Not a stolen ship design'

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: July 02, 2017, 11:00:13 pm »

'Intellectual Piracy'

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: July 02, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »

'Intellectual Piracy'

UFN-BB-41 'We added a rocket somewhere'

voting for the UF-MT-41 'Demolisher' if we can;t get a submarine or improved torpedo.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: July 02, 2017, 11:27:41 pm »

Ugh, Demolisher is just a tank... So boring... Not even a super-tank... At least give it a ramming spike and swords on the wheels... And put rockets underneath it to roast the legs of anyone who is standing nearby... And a spinal railgun, because that is totally doable, when did the theory that railguns operate on first get published anyway... Pfft, 1919 patent... Lets go gattling railguns!

Anak-C.A.8-1941-RedIsFaster "River Of Tears" Electric Artillery
Powered by standard columns of turbojets this 40 24-barreled electric-powered gattling-gun fires 8x120mm solid rifled slugs along electric rails with the firing chamber replaced with electric circuits and an magnetic loading mechanism that pushes bullets onto the rails from a reusable belt. This is intended as an effective weapon against infantry behind cover, light armour, and low-flying aircraft. The barrel arrangements are designed to be easily replaceable.

Quote from: Design Votes
Ana-G.A.P.-1941-D.F.A. Kriegblitz antimateriel rifle: 0
UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": 3 Azzuro, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
UF-ERA-41 "Blood Eagle": 0
(1)UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint
UFS-41-W 'Virgil': 0
1 RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": RAM
UF-MT-41 'Demolisher': (4) Taricus, Kashyyk, Jilladilla, NAV
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
Pattern A: 0
Pattern B: 0
Pattern C: 0
Pattern D: 0
Pattern E: 0
Pattern F: 0
(1) UF-A(A/T)R-41 'Saltstriker': 10ebbor10
(1) UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":Sheb
(2) UFAF-HF41-W 'Strife': Lightforger, Zanzetkuken
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:40:38 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: July 02, 2017, 11:41:57 pm »

I mean, if we want to go Wunderwaffe...

UF(AF?)-ICBM-41 "Warning Shot"

The simple idea to put rockets on rockets was a breakthrough no one thought sane, until now.  This three stage rocket can deliver an impressive 50kg warhead up to 5,500km.  It uses a two stage system to get the rocket into the upper atmosphere and to a speed of Mach 4 while guided by ground radar and radio systems.  The final stage is unguided, using fins and gyroscopic stabilization to maintain it's final decent through the atmosphere.  The primary warhead is incendiary, to cause fire damage to forests, crops, houses and factories.  It weighs in at a dainty 15 meters tall and 16 metric tons.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:43:59 pm by VoidSlayer »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: July 03, 2017, 12:16:18 am »

Yes, but that is just a small incendiary shell launched an absurd range with pretty much no accuracy. Potentially unpleasant, but unlikely to do any significant damage unless we get ridiculously lucky, or just keep producing them, store them in an endless series of warehouses, stacked a dozen layers deep, and then launch them all in the span of a single day to blot out the sky over Can and rain fire over its every surface. Otherwise there won't be the volume of fire necessary to significantly detriment the massive area of the target zone...

The Gemans actually did the preliminary work for a railgun design in World War Two. I mean, sure, the power requirements are absurd, but jet turbines could probably propel a small-calibre shell and a gattling design accounts for the barrel wear... Not to mention that the power requirements of an electrical loader and barrel rotator are negligible by comparison the the propellent power. If you can cite a specific reason why my electric gattling gun wouldn't work then please do. But if you just want to call it "useless wanderworf" then please, umm, something witty...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: July 03, 2017, 01:01:13 am »

(1)UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
(1) UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":Sheb
(0) UFAF-JF-41 'Sobriety' Pattern A
Just adding the Sobriety to the voting box... Not sure if anyone else is seriously considering it but hey, options.
(Also RAM, while POTENTIALLY possible, I feel that such a railgun would more or less instantly go towards national effort... And remember the description for Impossible difficulty: 'If any real life countries attempted your design, they didn't succeed until a later time period if at all, and the engineering complexity involved is staggering'. While railguns are a thing nowadays, they're still in prototyping last I checked. Maybe we'll roll a 6. Maybe we'll roll high enough to follow up with a non-impossible attempt... Also do we even have a gatling gun?)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:06 am »

Gattling gun: Patented 1862
Lorentz force: dubbed 1982
Rail gun: Patented 1919
Quote from:  Wikipaedia on Third Reich railgun
In 1944, during World War II, Joachim Hänsler of Germany's Ordnance Office proposed the first theoretically viable railgun. By late 1944, the theory behind his electric anti-aircraft gun had been worked out sufficiently to allow the Luftwaffe's Flak Command to issue a specification, which demanded a muzzle velocity of 2,000 m/s (6,600 ft/s) and a projectile containing 0.5 kg (1.1 lb) of explosive. The guns were to be mounted in batteries of six firing twelve rounds per minute, and it was to fit existing 12.8 cm FlaK 40 mounts. It was never built. When details were discovered after the war it aroused much interest and a more detailed study was done, culminating with a 1947 report which concluded that it was theoretically feasible, but that each gun would need enough power to illuminate half of Chicago.
Clearly they just didn't like a weapon that had no explosives and diverted funds from the project!

We owe it to ourselves. We owe it to the world! To put this unloved technology into reality as it was always meant to be. This is the essence of the Arm-race game. To take that which is bizarre and make it wonderful! Let not your fears and prejudice sway you from the righteous path. Let not the lack of rocket fuel tease at your biases, for we can place rockets within the bullets! And load the guns upon rocket carts! Let not your love of aircraft sway you from this simple design, for we shall mount it upon an aircraft, and fire it for in excess of one millionth of a shot! This is the design of the future, built from the technologies of the past, we need only combine them against the fears and politics of a world blinded by their love of chemical explosives. We shall makethis work and we shall be beloved for doing so!

Note also that I am proposing a projectile that, in total, weighs less than a tenth of just the explosive payload of the German design. Although I will trum down the number of barrels for the faint of heart.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:39:53 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:58 am »

+1 to the rail guns.
We ought to burn a few turns to let them catch up anyways. (Until we murder them with rail guns)

but really, we ought to finish the NERA first. One project at a time, ya know?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: July 03, 2017, 02:23:44 am »

(2)UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint, Sheb
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
 UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: July 03, 2017, 02:37:27 am »

(3)UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint, Sheb, Stabby
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
 UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4633 on: July 03, 2017, 06:16:16 am »

Quote from:  Wikipedia on Third Reich railgun
but that each gun would need enough power to illuminate half of Chicago.
Your railgun works, but due to immesne power requirements, it incerases expense level of all your other weapons by one, because factories don't have enough power anymore.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: July 03, 2017, 08:00:00 am »

(0) Ana-G.A.P.-1941-D.F.A. Kriegblitz antimateriel rifle: 0
(3) UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": Azzuro, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
(0) UF-ERA-41 "Blood Eagle":
(3) UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint, Sheb, Stabby
(0) UFS-41-W 'Virgil':
(1) RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": RAM
(4) UF-MT-41 'Demolisher': Taricus, Kashyyk, Jilladilla, NAV
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
(0) UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":
(1) UFAF-F-41 Lightning Streak: Madman198237

Fine, eS, I renamed my silly fighter. However, yours is basically mine, but without a turbofan (Turbofans are good for carrier-based aircraft and also good for endurance) and with less emphasis on really fast and really nimble.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 500