Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590828 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4590 on: July 02, 2017, 06:12:39 pm »

Quote from: Design Votes
Ana-G.A.P.-1941-D.F.A. Kriegblitz antimateriel rifle: 0
UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": 2 Azzuro, Piratejoe
UF-ERA-41 "Blood Eagle": 0
(1) UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint
UFS-41-W 'Virgil': 0
RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": 0
UF-MT-41 'Demolisher': (2) Taricus, Kashyyk
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
Pattern A: 0
Pattern B: 0
Pattern C: 0
Pattern D: 0
Pattern E: 0
Pattern F: 0
(1) UF-A(A/T)R-41 'Saltstriker': 10ebbor10
(2) UF-ATR41 A  "Firefly":Sheb, Zanzetkuken

Considering ATGM's existed in this era and we have literally all the preceeding tech needed to build it in a design, I'm throwing my vote in for it.

We need to advance our boundaries of technical know-how; Cannala is building helicopters while we discuss making slightly better tanks.  The Saltseeker gives us both an offensive and defensive punch on the ground, and gives us the foot in the door to build wire-guided torps and actual radar-guided missiles.  Working ATGM's existed in this era, and I absolutely think we could pull this tech of in a design.

Besides, if we Espionage Credit their helicopter, we'll want to put rockets and missiles on it.  This lets us start do do that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:16:37 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: July 02, 2017, 06:18:20 pm »

Yeah, meat the eagle sight. Thanks for pointing that out. And no, ATGMs did not exist in this era, not anything that was useful for anything but field gun roles anyway.

And we're espionaging the Victoria to the best of my knowledge, so going on a design that requires something specific to be stolen from the enemy isn't a good plan.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: July 02, 2017, 06:19:09 pm »

UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": 2 Azzuro, Piratejoe
UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: 0
UF-MT-41 'Demolisher': (4) Taricus, Kashyyk, Jilladilla, NAV
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: July 02, 2017, 06:21:00 pm »

UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": 3 Azzuro, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: 0
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
The Turbohaast really looks ideal to me. Not only does it kick ass in the jungle, but at sea, and it may even be more effective than a heavy tank.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: July 02, 2017, 06:22:36 pm »

The Turbohaast is very nice, but we need to push them back in the jungle, and we can't mass firebomb the tree canopy in the wet season, and said canopy helps cover them from close air support.

I feel like I should mention we'll be dropping double the number of Firecrackers with the Turbohaast. Plus, not voting for something because it's not going to do well just next turn isn't a very good reason, as everyone voted for the Cataphract despite the fact that there was supposed to be fog this season as well.

Also, the Turbohaast would help us both at land and on Sea. Next turn, our Thunderbirds will be Cheap and the Z carriers Expensive, so getting the Turbohaast which can drop twice the number of torpedoes per plane per sortie will help at sea, by more efficiently using the limited number of plane slots we have on our carriers. If we're going to do a land-only design like the tank, then we'd better do a naval revision like Proper Naval Torpedo too.

But, in all fairness to the Demolisher, I would rather have a new tank over an attempt at the Saltseeker. And the various rocket suggestions are really more a revision-level action.

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: July 02, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »

The problem is the wet season, which will dramatically affect the turbohaast's payload into being non-effectiveness (And we already have a 2 ton payload bomber) and the Haast already does it's job admirably. The haast is far from lacklustre in it's roles and it will be cheaper. Therefore the turbohaast isn't really... well, necessary. It's almost certainly be far heavier than the haast at full load to the point where it won't be useful as a carrier-launched craft.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: July 02, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »

The problem is the wet season, which will dramatically affect the turbohaast's payload into being non-effectiveness (And we already have a 2 ton payload bomber) and the Haast already does it's job admirably. The haast is far from lacklustre in it's roles and it will be cheaper. Therefore the turbohaast isn't really... well, necessary. It's almost certainly be far heavier than the haast at full load to the point where it won't be useful as a carrier-launched craft.

We don't have a bomber with a 30mm autocannon. Also, the Turbohaast will have more than double the thrust and therefore similar thrust-weight ratio, and if necessary there's always the rocket catapult.

If we're going to be getting air superiority next turn via Cheap Tbirds, we should capitalise on it and improve our ground-attack capabilities.

United Forenia Forever!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »

UFAF-A41 "Turbohaast": 3 Azzuro, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
(1)UF-ATGM-41 Saltseeker' Pattern A: evictedSaint
UF-HT-41 "Apocalypse"
You forgot evictedSaints vote NAV, Powder Miner.
Also the Haast isn't as useful in the jungle during the winter/spring due to the wet season preventing us from burning away the tree canopy

(Azzuro, do we know if the German Ore/Oil (almost certainly ore) takes effect immediately? If we have to wait a turn like most resource things have been so far then the Turbohaast will likely get my vote next turn)

(PS WHY DO I TAKE SO LONG TYPING THESE!!)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: July 02, 2017, 06:30:49 pm »

A 30mm autocannon isn't going to help the Turbohaast's case. There's no pressing need for a CAS plane with one. And you have to remember our regular haasts are also coming onto cheap, which means more torpedoes and ground attack capabilities anyway.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: July 02, 2017, 06:37:05 pm »

(Azzuro, do we know if the German Ore/Oil (almost certainly ore) takes effect immediately? If we have to wait a turn like most resource things have been so far then the Turbohaast will likely get my vote next turn)

It takes effect immediately, I think. As in all that stuff will be cheaper in the next battle report.

A 30mm autocannon isn't going to help the Turbohaast's case. There's no pressing need for a CAS plane with one. And you have to remember our regular haasts are also coming onto cheap, which means more torpedoes and ground attack capabilities anyway.

Considering that the Cannalans will have Expensive Bulls next turn, I'd say improving our anti-armour capabilities is warranted. Also the Turbohaast won't be stuck in the mud like tanks. :P And again, given that at Sea we only bring a limited number of planes into the battle, doubling our torpedo dropping capabilities per plane there will help. P.S. Khornes also become Expensive next turn.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:20 pm »

And no, ATGMs did not exist in this era, not anything that was useful for anything but field gun roles anyway.

And we're espionaging the Victoria to the best of my knowledge, so going on a design that requires something specific to be stolen from the enemy isn't a good plan.

I'm not going to relink every single thing mentioned in the original design about guided weapons again, so I'll ignore the first part.

The Victoria is a slightly better cruiser, and it was specifically mentioned that major issue on the seas was air superiority.  Having two similar cruisers won't help as much, I don't think - I'd rather steal the new shiny tech they've sunk three designs and revisions on, so we can instantly be on par with them in an area we have no experience in (kinda like the navy, at the start of the game; being advanced in an area your opponent is not is an advantage, as it turns out.  Again, why I want to develop guided weapons).

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: July 02, 2017, 06:41:02 pm »

Except we can pull of the victoria better by making it much cheaper than the cannalan version. We'll send the cannalan sea dogs running with that!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: July 02, 2017, 06:50:18 pm »

Except we could do the same with the twinblade.  We already have a cruiser.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:30 pm »

Except the twinblade is... Outright shit. It'll take several lucky design actions to get it to a point where it would be able to survive machine gun fire, much less proper AA.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: July 02, 2017, 06:58:24 pm »

It's to get the tech.  We just need the working model, and we can build a better version in a single turn.

Or perhaps steal their Bull tank to get the Daybreaker autoloading system and the turboshaft engine.  But not a cruiser that's inferior to ours save for radar and targeting (since the tech wont retroactively affect our stuff anyways)

We should use the espionage credit to get tech; effectively use it to cram as many turns worth of development in as we can.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 500