Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16796 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2017, 05:20:28 pm »

Why about the legs? Serious question! Does it look like he's running? He's supposed to be just standing there. Though now that I look at it, it kind of looks like he's walking towards the viewer. Also, I'm just noticing a mistake with the right (relative to us) cloak-clasp.

EDIT: Also, thank you! I too am pretty happy with how the shading came out!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:22:29 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2017, 02:07:16 am »

Why about the legs? Serious question! Does it look like he's running? He's supposed to be just standing there. Though now that I look at it, it kind of looks like he's walking towards the viewer.

He looks off-balance. If you were going for an intricate mid-motion pose that's ok, but since (i assume) he's just supposed to be standing, it looks a little odd and un-relaxed. Try moving the left foot back, to better spread his mass semi-evenly on each foot, like someone would IRL.

Or, it might work if you just define the foot better. The back leg looks a lot thinner since you have his foot facing the viewer and thus essentially hidden from view. (which doesn't make much sense but don't think about it too much)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:48:09 am by EpicJ »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2017, 04:01:35 am »

Why about the legs? Serious question! Does it look like he's running? He's supposed to be just standing there. Though now that I look at it, it kind of looks like he's walking towards the viewer.

He looks off-balance. If you were going for an intricate mid-motion pose that's ok, but since (i assume) he's just supposed to be standing, it looks a little odd and un-relaxed. Try moving the foot back, to better spread his mass semi-evenly on each foot, like someone would IRL.

Or, it might work if you just define the foot better. The back leg looks a lot thinner since you have his foot facing the viewer and thus essentially hidden from view. (which doesn't make much sense but don't think about it too much)
I guess that's what I meant and couldn't have said it better.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:53:27 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2017, 08:24:25 am »

I've been playing around with the idea of a faction PW game. I will post about it sometime later, however currently I'm thinking of a PW arms race kind of game. It would be kind of like designing units and weapons together in two groups. Though it wouldn't have PW battles, just battle scenes. Would anyone like to try it out?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2017, 08:41:33 am »

The idea sounds great. Could you post more detailed description and rules?
Russians are coming!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2017, 09:34:46 am »

The idea sounds great. Could you post more detailed description and rules?

Hail the mighty Stefman, I second his request!

Also behold! Fixed the leg methinks, though the foot is now facing >90° from where the head is facing it looks lovably like he's just kind of half-turned. Added an officer friend. Ill be honest, I'm really digging how both these came out. I think they still need more details, but it came out a lot like how I saw it in my head, which makes me super happy.

Thoughts on giving them both scabbards, the regular footslogger (on the left) a backpack, and the officer a small ammunition pouch?

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:17 am »

I'm afraid that your sprite is already a bit overdetailed. While it looks great when zoomed in, small detail aren't that good at regular scale. Also, it's a whole pain in ass to resprite them all when you're making dynamic poses.
Russians are coming!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2017, 12:29:28 pm »

THERE, all the basics for the Ancient Tech Golems are done. I have a flying unit that can't fly if flipped over and has T-Rex vision, a heavy unit that is too big for human doors and cannot into stairs, a door for my units to come out of, and a basic unit that can't cross gaps on its own(without a ramp or staircase to the other side) and has a very limited firing angle(the cube one, which I call temple guards).

that one can also pop out of walls by the way, usually there will be at least two in the walls around a door.

I also added one more color, that being blue, which will represent kinetic force based attacks, as well as things that provide mobility, like the lower crystal on the Senty, or the orb on the Roller.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:29:20 pm by Failbird105 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2017, 03:03:01 pm »

lookin' good! I really LOVE the concept of your army! More, more! Only critique, maybe more shading?

EDIT: So thinking more about the army concepts I just drew up. What do you guys think about a group-fighting based, fortification based army? "The Marquisate Expeditionary Force". Basically, they fight much better in squads, and even better in cover? Thoughts?

EDIT: @Stefman, master of masters, if the details add more to the "silhouette" so to speak, would they be okay to add? What's some of the stuff that's over detailed?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:08:30 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2017, 05:07:56 pm »

I would guess everything, the gradient on the mask for example will be unnoticed and so will most of the less contrasting details.
I will post more about the PW arms race soon.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2017, 05:12:33 pm »

Thanks Snow!

I would enjoy a PW arms race, as I enjoy creating sprites more than fighting them.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

I would enjoy a PW arms race, as I enjoy creating sprites more than fighting them.
I do too and that's why I thought of a game based around creating sprites.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:12:57 pm by snow dwarf »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:24 pm »

https://discord.gg/ShNK6hD

The Official Picture Wars Discord, stop by to get critiques and what have you. (They gave me permission to post the link around here)

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:30 am »

EDIT: @Stefman, master of masters, if the details add more to the "silhouette" so to speak, would they be okay to add? What's some of the stuff that's over detailed?
@Urist, dear colleague, if you would be so kind to show us examples of such 'silhouette-adding' details on the actual sprite it will be great to see! As for 'overdetailed' parts, let's see how your sprite will look at actual size:

Sorry for a bit distorted proportions, but I am sure that it still allows to see what I'm going to show. As you could see, soldier's leg protection, especially spikes on it, are a bit difficult to observe. Same goes to the blue coat's shading, for example. Brighter parts, like metallic cuirass, face mask or red cloaks are easier to read due to simplier shading scheme and more contrast colors used. I'm not going to say that you should mindlessly simplify all the shading, but try to place your troops on the actual map and take a look how they're blending with the background. I believethat if they are actually blending, it's good for real life camouflage but not for a PW match.
Still I may be totally wrong, especially if that effect was intentional :D
Russians are coming!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2017, 03:59:08 am »

https://discord.gg/ShNK6hD

The Official Picture Wars Discord, stop by to get critiques and what have you. (They gave me permission to post the link around here)
Huh, thanks. I actually forgot about this evwn though I meant to join, but awesome to find that some of the veterans are there.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13