Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16794 times)

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 03:57:51 am »

Is it just me or you have uploaded same picture as you've done before?
Russians are coming!

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08:32 am »

It's just you. There is some more thickness in the Shoggoth's tentacles, and one of it's eyes changed color.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 05:54:46 am »

The Thoruka have a natural connection to another dimension.
They see that dimension as their deity and absorb the mysterious energy leaking from it into their blood cells.
It can also be transferred into crystals, which they grow on large crystal farms.
The grayish metal can block and thus easily control the flow of the energy, making it usable for numerous things.
Most Thoruka wear armors out of that metal to avoid accidentally leaking energy into the surroundings.

Experienced individuals, however, can use the energy directly to form and shoot bolts of energy, move things around and even float above ground.
Some masters even manage to directly access the other dimension, using it for communication, long-distance travel, and other powerful things.

I've never been good with perspective and shading and all that stuff, neither am I planning to become a master pixel artist :P
I will be adding more stuff over time.

edit: They are supposed to be tall, considering that they've been inspired by Endermen ;)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2017, 06:12:44 am »

@Greatness942 I would make the middle leg on the creature darker shade, so that it looks like it's more to the back. The Shoggoths tentacles should have thickness all the way till the end.

@Asgarus A few tips: Even though they should be tall I think they shouldn't be taller than 30px, cause you want them to fit into buildings. You might also want to look at our previous sprite sheets on how to make 3/4 poses. Another thing are black outlines, it's usually something we try to avoid.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2017, 06:29:19 am »

@Asgarus A few tips: Even though they should be tall I think they shouldn't be taller than 30px, cause you want them to fit into buildings. You might also want to look at our previous sprite sheets on how to make 3/4 poses. Another thing are black outlines, it's usually something we try to avoid.
I forgot to get rid of the outlines on the chests, gonna fix that right now.

They are about a head taller than a human, at least that's what I was targeting at.
Of course that comes with size-related problems, but that's okay.
They can still walk ducked if they have to.
Whatever disadvantages they have due to their size, it also gives them advantages.

Regarding 3/4 and other perspectives... I've often tried that and always failed. I don't try anymore and I'm not planning to at the moment. Side-view must be enough for now.

edit: Somehow that sounded harsher than intended. :)
I might do some experimenting, but all my attempts until now turned out ugly, which becomes even more of a problem when I'm limited in size.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:03:44 am by Asgarus »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2017, 11:07:54 pm »

okay, so I'm going to jump into a game to spur me on to more sprites. Anyone up for one?

Before we get started though I need some help for interesting army mechanics?

-- Something that makes use of an A.I. core

-- something that regulates how many units get introduced to the field

-- a mob mechanic

any ideas?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 05:21:53 am »

okay, so I'm going to jump into a game to spur me on to more sprites. Anyone up for one?
I was gonna start a match thread for the five of you (You, Asgarus, Stefman, EpicJ and Greatness) tomorrow, however you can do it. Unless you are talking about a 1v.1 match.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »

I am planning on making some sort of portal or the like for when the non-Shoggoth entities show up, but this is good for now.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2017, 04:11:34 am »

How's this?

Greatness, I would add some shading to the other tentacles and legs as well (on that brown thing).
Also, if you want to draw better curves (for those cracks around the portal for example), try zooming in. For me it's much easier to get decent curves done that way.
(I'm using Gimp, so I can zoom in pretty far, no idea what you are using and how well it works there)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2017, 05:25:08 am »

How's this?

Greatness, I would add some shading to the other tentacles and legs as well (on that brown thing).
Also, if you want to draw better curves (for those cracks around the portal for example), try zooming in. For me it's much easier to get decent curves done that way.
(I'm using Gimp, so I can zoom in pretty far, no idea what you are using and how well it works there)
Nice they look better than before.
He's using Paint.net just like me and you can zoom in.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2017, 05:44:02 am »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:06 am »

Worked some more on them.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2017, 08:02:16 am »

Nooby, Paint.net question: How do I flip my units around?

Edit: Nevermind, found a way.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:04:43 am by Greatness942 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2017, 10:55:12 am »

@Snow,

Thanks mate!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »

been working on a faction I call "Ancient Tech Golems" or just Ancient Tech for short. The idea is a lot of strong units with really mundane weaknesses. Such as the one I was making today, which I title the roller as it has a large stone orb instead of legs, is somewhere in the 38-40 pixel range, and therefor won't fit in most buildings, it also can't handle stairs

the two blue pixels were just to help me figure out where to put the right arm, which, speaking of, is incomplete in this picture, and will end in a fist that can be shot out and then drawn back in on an energy chain when I make the finished product.

I also am trying a weird way of making characters in this, namely, modularly, the body parts(the legs, torso, both arms, and head) are all separate parts which I put together to assemble a character. Obviously I will draw new ones or edit old ones on the fly, but that's the basic idea.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:45:48 pm by Failbird105 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13