Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16776 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:16 am »

@Urist
I would think they would have bright repetitive uniforms, just to recognize each other in the gun smoke.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:35 am »

Just wanted to announce that we opened the first match into a free for all, however I would like it to be the more "serious" match.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2017, 11:35:06 am »

well, this is it, the entire sheet for my blob army, although some of the nodes need size reductions. It's got a very simple appearance, but complex mechanics that mean it can grow and produce units infinitely, but is limited by resource costs and therefore takes time.

Anywhere from one or two square centimeters of blob grow per turn(randomly), which takes anywhere from 4 to 8 blobbomass. I choose where to place them. It goes from light blob, to medium blob when it is surrounded by at least light blob on all sides, to heavy blob when it is surrounded on all sides by at least medium blob on all sides, and it doesn't downgrade if these requirements stop being met. It can produce temporary tendrils for the purpose of attacking for free.

The spores(that little green drippy thing) are free and produced with every pulse(once a turn as long as it is within 3 centimeters of an energy node or the core), but you can only have a maximum of three per factory and three factories. When a spore comes in contact with an enemy unit, it attempts to choke/crush them by engulfing as much as it can and squeezing hard. If it kills an organic unit or hits an organic corpse, it corrupts the unit into a blob zombie. If it kills an inorganic unit or hits a wreckage it becomes thick blob, but can't expand or attack until it is connected to the whole.

The resource node produces 10 blobbomass every pulse, but stops producing at all once the blob surrounding on all sides it becomes thick blob of at least 3 centimeters thick, and then must be scrapped and the resource node built elsewhere. Only one resource node at a time. I should probably shrink this down, and the factory.

The blobbernaut is a large and powerful unit, made mostly out of thick blob and coated with armored blob, it can shoot infertile blob spores at targets(they can't make zombies), as well as devouring enemy units to heal itself. When produced, it destroys the factory it was made from, and still counts as being a factory.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:48:42 pm by Failbird105 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2017, 11:52:59 am »

I like the blobbernaut quite a bit, but I have to say that it is perhaps oversized. I haven't counted, but an average man in PW is 25 pixels tall. Keep in mind the scale of things, especially the maps. If the blobbernaut can't fit in a tunnel... well that's that.

As for the blob itself, you may want to have more defined blocks of blobbomass!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »

I like the blobbernaut quite a bit, but I have to say that it is perhaps oversized. I haven't counted, but an average man in PW is 25 pixels tall. Keep in mind the scale of things, especially the maps. If the blobbernaut can't fit in a tunnel... well that's that.

As for the blob itself, you may want to have more defined blocks of blobbomass!
the Blobbernaut is still made of goo, it CAN fit in tunnels, regardless of its size. It could even fit through most doors. Is it far bigger than said doors? yes. Does that matter to an amorphous being? Not at all.

Also, the blob isn't going to be any defined shape, those are just color examples.

Remember, this is a BLOB army, they are all basically liquid.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:24 pm »

Just keep in mind the amount of drawing you'll have to do for that!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:20 pm »

Just keep in mind the amount of drawing you'll have to do for that!
I drew that stuff up there in like, five minutes, tops, the blobbernuat took the most time, simply because I wanted to get the fading between colors looking good. It is literally the simplest army design possible besides basic shapes. I'll try to give you an example.

I honestly think measuring it to know what is light, medium, and heavy blob, as well as how far I can grow the blob, is going to be the hardest part.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »

That's my point, if you quantize things, it'll be a lot easier for you mid game!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2017, 12:45:15 pm »

That's my point, if you quantize things, it'll be a lot easier for you mid game!

Yeah I can see your point. Although having seen the actual size, I'm going to reduce a lot of the numbers

I also resized the nodes, because I planned to do that anyway, and I left the armor blob alone because it is meant to be paint bucketed over a section of normal blob.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:55:06 pm by Failbird105 »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2017, 07:58:56 pm »

C&C needed on my new imp...

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2017, 04:29:16 pm »

So, did some work on my own army, some slight adjustments and such. Tell me what you think if you would be so kind.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:33 am »

The small bow looks better now.

Also, as you might have noticed the PW arms race won't happen, I'm instead gonna focus on the faction game. If it isn't up by Saturday could you guys remind me.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2017, 11:35:24 am »

what exactly do you mean by faction game? Once I'm done with my characters I thought of for the Golem faction, I might want to participate.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2017, 06:47:06 pm »

Quote from: zubb2 on April 16, 2017, 07:34:47 pm

I am interested in this, will be making an army.

Firefox yo.
Nice, you can hop onto our general thread.

Btw, anyone using Firefox, could you check out the link provided by Stefman.

I'm here, point me at the map.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »

Nice, you can hop onto our general thread.

Btw, anyone using Firefox, could you check out the link provided by Stefman.

I'm here, point me at the map.
Choose the match you want to join, or start a new one if you want to.
what exactly do you mean by faction game? Once I'm done with my characters I thought of for the Golem faction, I might want to participate.
A faction game is where you have different countries or something and they fight, research tech etc.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13