Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16771 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:24 am »

I thought up for an idea, mainly, a sort of "chain segment" object, which can be stuck together with other segments to make things, only to realize that because of the scale, I would have a hard time making the pieces at angles, and would probably be better off making the individual units as one entity than trying to do the individual blocks.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:52 am »

I thought up for an idea, mainly, a sort of "chain segment" object, which can be stuck together with other segments to make things, only to realize that because of the scale, I would have a hard time making the pieces at angles, and would probably be better off making the individual units as one entity than trying to do the individual blocks.
Interesting, would like to see it happen.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2017, 08:42:25 am »

Interesting, would like to see it happen.
Eh, I tried a bit, the segments I planned looked fine when going straight up down left or right, but any angle in between and they look like hell. I might try another idea for the concept though.

*edit: Hmm, I think I can make it work, by just making a bunch of squares and then making links in between them once I've placed the cubes in a way I'm happy with. I don't expect I'll be making anything small with this technique though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:50:52 am by Failbird105 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2017, 09:47:51 am »

Okay, I messed around with it, and got something workable. It makes use  of five pixel squares that are arranged to provide the impression of a curve, and then a link is drawn between each square and the two closest to it. Here's an example of what I can do with this technique:

The last one is the one in question, I call it the temple arm(and for a good reason), its weaknesses are that it's stationary, and more fragile then the other golems, it can switch between all the available energy types, by the way, I've added more of them. Well, I already had all the colors but one planned, its just that I hadn't used them yet.

They are red(energy, so stuff like lasers and lights), blue(kinetic, so stuff like movement and force), green(construction, so making new golems and repairing damaged ones), and combinations of the three, which are purple(forcefield, can be used to make stationary barriers, or a weaker mobile one), yellow(deconstruction, can only work on the materials that the ancient tech golems are made of: stone, ruby, sapphire, and emerald provides materials for construction and repair), Cyan (grip, used to lift and move objects that aren't built to be compatible with blue energy)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:21 am »

@stefman, I see your point. Here's an on-map test at 100%:

... Though, it's not too bad actually. In fact, I can make out most of the deets. The arms are the biggest problem spot I can see, the darker hues definitely get lost in the background. I may try a red color scheme instead.

Thats just inside of course, outside (both these on the two maps being played atm) the armor threatens to blend in, so there's that too. Hmmm.

EDIT: more a blend of Knight and height-of-the-empire era British redcoat.

EDIT:

Better methinks. Legs obviously blend, but I'll take it. I like both designs.

EDIT: A closeup comparison:

Overdetailed in the extreme, but I really enjoy making detailed sprites.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:25:50 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2017, 11:43:25 am »

Overdetailed in the extreme, but I really enjoy making detailed sprites.

I think that as long as the majority of the details are still somewhat visible or at least help define the shape, they're ok.

I will say that, for more matte surfaces (cloth, etc.) try only two colours, a lighter and a darker. Since clothing doesn't often highlight that much, and less colours will help remove clutter.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2017, 09:10:20 pm »

Crosspost from Things You Drew/Shopped/Made. A standard infantry section for my new army.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:21 pm »

Crosspost from Things You Drew/Shopped/Made. A standard infantry section for my new army.
Really awesome and I love them, especially the shading. If you could give a few tips on how you made them it would be awesome, cause they look better than most of the armies I made.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:24 pm »

I'll make a big post when I have some time tomorrow! The short version is:

1.) Be inspired.

2.) Make first draft.

3.) Revise.

4.) Get a fuck ton of critique.

5.) Enjoy making sprites too much to ignore the small details.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:24 pm »

I'll make a big post when I have some time tomorrow! The short version is:

1.) Be inspired.

2.) Make first draft.

3.) Revise.

4.) Get a fuck ton of critique.

5.) Enjoy making sprites too much to ignore the small details.
Well I might have a problem with step 5.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2017, 11:22:50 pm »

I wish I was that good...I feel a bit inadequate right now.............. I should do more pixel art...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:29 am »

I wish I was that good...I feel a bit inadequate right now.............. I should do more pixel art...
I think you improved since the last match and so did I, but creating new sprites is the best way to learn.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2017, 05:47:09 am »

In light of another game I have been playing recently known as Space Station 13(I'm sure some of you heard of it, I feel like I remember this site having its own server for it back when I wasn't a member), I decided to make another army, this one for use in missions where there couldn't really just HAPPEN to be an underground temple there. It is known as "The Blob", and I'm sure that's all you need to guess what it is and does. I was also considering the Blood Cult, but I'm not confident enough in my spriting for that, yet anyway. The Blob however, will be  mostly incredibly simple, with a few complex parts.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2017, 08:16:25 am »

@Piratejoe, you just have to find your inspiration and work on it! My sprites go through a bunch of revisions, like 4 or 5.

@Failbird, I would love to see a Blob army! I'm curious to see how you'll do it!

In other news, here is another infantry section:

I plan to do a third, along with a cavalry section, and an artillery section. Then comes the long process of creating some initial poses. Whereas the last section was kind of the line-infantry, this is the light infantry. The next will the Marquisiate Guards.

Also, I haven't really sold myself on the uniforms for these guys. Redcoats w/ cuirass and white bandoliers is perhaps still too similar without getting across the point of light infantry. Any suggestions?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2017, 08:27:01 am »

@Failbird, I would love to see a Blob army! I'm curious to see how you'll do it!
I'm planning on doing it similar to the one in SS13, so its one blob that expands constantly from a central core which needs to be destroyed. However it can also produce a whole host of small weak spores that explode into chemical gasses, or if they reach a unit, can attempt to take control of them. Plus the occasional heavy blobernaught unit. So it will basically be almost identical to the SS13 one in function, except the world it exists in will be side perspective instead of top down.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13