Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Arthurian High Adventure - Sign-ups (OOC Thread)  (Read 13868 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Posting to watch, will probably make a character.

Spoiler: Lillian Rook (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:39:02 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler:  "Owen the Unseen" (click to show/hide)
Edit:Changed mist to stealthy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:56:28 pm by Sudurandom »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made a sorta viking dude paladin.

What do you think? Especially about the oaths I'm unsure, I sorta modeled them after like, viking society's idea of honor or something like that? But I'm not sure if that's appropriate for whatever pseudo Christianity this is fueled by and after 20 years of wandering he's implicitly converted too. And I'm not sure if mechanically the oath to not use magic is appropriate at all, since idk if it's acceptable to take that as an oath then just dump zero dice into Enchantment. Also the oath for honorable combat is pretty vague, like, setting someones house on fire when they are sleeping and killing them as they flee in terror and confusion in the middle of the night, is that an honorable challenge? Probably not by our standards...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:03:28 pm by Criptfeind »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:10:14 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Should be done, I just need the GM to look at it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Had to alter my sheet a bit. :P Turns out Harts are strictly male deers, whole Hinds are female deers.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

I mean, suddenly changing gender on top of becoming a dear would make me upset as well.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Token Moor reporting. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:03:02 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

Hello.  I'd like to get in on this RP.  It seems really cool.  I do have a few questions, though.  How does magic work in this system?  If you take, for example, the fish rune as an enchanter, does that mean you can only cast spells that are somehow related to fish?  Could this hypothetical fish mage still cast a healing spell, or an ice bolt, or conjure a magical ward?  How would the power/magnitude of those effects be determined?  Does every spell need to be an ability?

Well, assuming that abilities only stand in for particularly powerful/unique spells, skills, and martial maneuvers, here's my initial character concept.  Let me know if anything needs to change.  And yes, I am aware that this one is a bit odd.  But when have I ever made conventional characters?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:25:01 pm by DragonRage »
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Finished Character (click to show/hide)

I'll finish this a bit later
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:04:22 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Sorry about the lack of replies, guys. I randomly felt like shit halfway through yesterday and that kinda killed my desire to work on this. But I'm feeling better so let's get to this.

Mist: Owen can Focus to become almost impossible to see.(I'll let the GM set the mechanics for this if that's ok. I'm not sure about the balance.)

Does 'This character automatically avoids the next two attacks' sounds fine to you?

I made a sorta viking dude paladin.

[spoiler=Thorsteinn Ásmundarson]Name: Thorsteinn Ásmundarson
What do you think? Especially about the oaths I'm unsure, I sorta modeled them after like, viking society's idea of honor or something like that? But I'm not sure if that's appropriate for whatever pseudo Christianity this is fueled by and after 20 years of wandering he's implicitly converted too. And I'm not sure if mechanically the oath to not use magic is appropriate at all, since idk if it's acceptable to take that as an oath then just dump zero dice into Enchantment. Also the oath for honorable combat is pretty vague, like, setting someones house on fire when they are sleeping and killing them as they flee in terror and confusion in the middle of the night, is that an honorable challenge? Probably not by our standards...

It's regular Christianity which fuels this society. I was going to make a knock-off version but went 'Eh'. The normal kind will work just as well and require less effort on everyone's part. That also lets me reference Charlemagne and similar heroes. Basically the setting is Europe with less plague and starvation, and more magic and monsters.

Anyways. I like the character and I think that the Oaths are fine. Not putting dice into Enchantment is fine since it means that means that you'll suffer whenever you encounter an test/attack which requires Enchantment to defend against. If you're okay with that then I see no reason to reject such an Oath. Honour me is more than acceptable as well. As for honourable combat... I'm not sure. I guess I have to ask what you think an 'honourable challenge' entails. Is it going up to someone and challenging them to a duel? Do they need honour for you to challenge them? Can you force them to face you if they refuse?

Should be done, I just need the GM to look at it.

Looks good to me. Just be aware that she still can't start rituals in the middle of combat and expect them to work before it ends. Her ability allows for quicker and easier rituals but they still take time. Of course nothing stops you from making other abilities which operate by her dancing. It's just that being able to do any kind of magic bullshit in the middle of combat is a little overpowered. At least Commoners are limited to physical reality with their Cunning Plans. Sounds good?

Had to alter my sheet a bit. :P Turns out Harts are strictly male deers, whole Hinds are female deers.

How terrible. The entire character is ruined now. :u

-snip-

Looks fine to me. Yell At Djinn Until They Listen shouldn't deal damage each time it's used, however. If it does then that'd be part of the bargain or some horrible, horrible side effect.

Hello.  I'd like to get in on this RP.  It seems really cool.  I do have a few questions, though.  How does magic work in this system?  If you take, for example, the fish rune as an enchanter, does that mean you can only cast spells that are somehow related to fish?  Could this hypothetical fish mage still cast a healing spell, or an ice bolt, or conjure a magical ward?  How would the power/magnitude of those effects be determined?  Does every spell need to be an ability?

Well, assuming that abilities only stand in for particularly powerful/unique spells, skills, and martial maneuvers, here's my initial character concept.  Let me know if anything needs to change.  And yes, I am aware that this one is a bit odd.  But when have I ever made conventional characters?

Runes are for Rituals and thus big/flashy magic. Fish mage can still cast healing spells, ice bolts and the like no matter what kind of Runes he knows. The spells just won't last for very long. Long-lasting effects are purely the realm of rituals. So every spell would need to be an ability, yes. You can do basic magic attacks no problem, that's just using the Enchantment attribute to attack, but anything more than that is an ability/Ritual. So if you wanted an ice bolt which deals cold damage and hits for more than a basic attack, you'd need to make an Ability for it. Same goes for healing spells, wards, etc, etc. This means that everyone can do basic magic but bigger stuff is the realm of Enchanters only.

As for the character, I'm pretty iffy on it. Twinlink definitely needs to be changed. Being able to use two abilities in one turn is very powerful, even with reduced Dice/Keep. KJ's character has to spend a point of a limited resource just to make two basic attacks after all. As for how to change it... I'm not sure. How set are you on the 'acting twice in a turn' effect? Other than that they seem fine to me. It's just the mechanics that I have issues with.

Since a lot of people seem uncertain/unsure about abilities, would you appreciate it if I made a bunch of example ones or not? Would they be helpful/illustrative for what I'll accept?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's totally fine. That was the intention of Dances of the Ancients anyway. She will probably eventually have abilities that let her do something with dances in the middle of battle though.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh, I wasn't confused yet, but I thought the listed ability was our only one. Since I took two oaths, I thought you were mentioning I had an additional oath to take...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's totally fine. That was the intention of Dances of the Ancients anyway. She will probably eventually have abilities that let her do something with dances in the middle of battle though.

Excellent. So her sheet is perfect then.

Huh, I wasn't confused yet, but I thought the listed ability was our only one. Since I took two oaths, I thought you were mentioning I had an additional oath to take...

I'm... Lost here.

As a Paladin you get to swear up to 3 Oaths to gain Honour. But you can swear 1, 2 or even 0 if you want. Honour makes you better at physical tasks. You get this innately as a Paladin and only a Paladin.

As a level one character you get one ability. This ability can be pretty much anything. Special attacks, healing magic, etc, etc. Every character gets this innately because they're a character.

So Honour isn't your ability and your ability isn't Honour. Are we clear now? Sorry about being unclear about this stuff. :v

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. :P

Anyway, how about this as an abilities?

[Purity of the White Hind]
Alfrieda gets +3k2 to all rolls interacting or befriending animals. Only applies to commanding animals if they are already inclined to be friendly or tamed.

Or

[Purity of the White Hind]
Some wild and most tame animals will react initially friendly towards Alfrieda, or at least ambivalent and non-threatening. This is merely a strong suggestion, not a command-it will not override an animals strongest natural instincts, in the case of hunger, injury, territoriality, or hostility. If she deliberately harms an animal who is otherwise not a threat to her or her allies, this ability will be suppressed for a lengthy time, perhaps permanently based upon the severity of the transgression.

I actually don't know what ability would govern charisma, or if Charisma is even a mechanical skill and not handled through role playing. So the 2nd might work better, I dunno, or perhaps they would be combined in some way.

My idea is the 'curse' essentially merged a surviving portion of the pure soul of White Hind, with her own soul-and the innate human innocence that she possessed when she was first born, untainted by any sin. In theory, the progression of the curse is how long it takes these two soul parts to merge into a perfect whole, with the body following the spirit.

Essentially, most animals can perceive on some level that she's a vessel for something pure and vital, and they react in kind, as if she was a holy being to them. In return, her moral choices can taint that purity. Since even being human carries a certain amount of 'taint', that is why it's not a mind control ability or anything like that.

What do you think?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14