Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Arthurian High Adventure - Sign-ups (OOC Thread)  (Read 13863 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

Looks great to me. No complaints here. You ability might be a little under-powered though, depending on how you define criminals, since this game is more about fighting monsters, knights and infidels than bandits and pickpockets. Extending it to 'monsters and other enemies of civilization' might make sense but make it too broad. Any thoughts?
I think if the monsters had committed a crime (like killing people) it could apply. What do you think?

Quick edit: in the case of infidels, if Heresy is a crime, it also applies
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would allow some kind of anti-magic ability, actually. Its effects would pretty much be: 'If you invested your Dice into your ternary attribute then you wouldn't have needed to waste an ability, dummy'. So, you know, up to you.

What would such an ability look like in your opinion? Maybe using cunning as a defensive stat or something against magic, or would that be too much? Because it seems appropriate that a man who dislikes (male) magic but has been fighting against it for over half his life would I guess eventually secure some other way of resisting it... Hum.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

I would allow some kind of anti-magic ability, actually. Its effects would pretty much be: 'If you invested your Dice into your ternary attribute then you wouldn't have needed to waste an ability, dummy'. So, you know, up to you.

What would such an ability look like in your opinion? Maybe using cunning as a defensive stat or something against magic, or would that be too much? Because it seems appropriate that a man who dislikes (male) magic but has been fighting against it for over half his life would I guess eventually secure some other way of resisting it... Hum.
How about using concentrated disbelief in its mystical nature to reduce its affect on you? Likely an active ability, since you'd need to spend time convincing yourself that it's just some parlor trick.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it's not a disbelieve in magic, I mean. Magic pretty clearly exists. It's just a rejection of it as dishonorable.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Well, it's not a disbelieve in magic, I mean. Magic pretty clearly exists. It's just a rejection of it as dishonorable.
discrimination
you'll be hearing from deidre's lawyers

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry, it's only sexism. Deidres magic is perfectly fine because she's a woman.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

What about Calina, does she get burned at the stake like, three times for lying about her gender, being a heretic, and being a witch?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Edit made, and let me just say that I am very happy that the resist difficulty for my illusions will be RP based rather than mechanically based.  I might just have to invest hard in being an illusionist.  It's so rare that the system and GM both allow them to work.  No resist check?  Yes please.

The idea is mostly: You use your ability in a reasonable way and the NPCs react in a reasonable way. I'm not going to penalize you for using your ability creatively just because the dice told me to. Just so you know that doesn't mean that it's always going to work. Especially against the kind of enemies you'll be facing.

I guess that version of mist was a little scattered and probably not very well named. I see it as becoming very nearly invisible. Think turning the transparency way up in Photoshop. My thinking was that that gives the bonus to stealth and the fact that he's hard to see even when you know where to look makes aiming difficult, but that was probably too much. Maybe i should have just gone with a simple passive bump to stealth.

Do you have any guidance on the power level for active abilities? The limits you mentioned in the first post were all for passive abilities.  Also am i correct that all active abilities use the power pool?

Edit: I'm glad ghost was ok if a little under powered. Your  version is definitely going on the list of things to get in the future.

Thanks for your help working through this.

It's up to you what you want your character to do, so I can't offer any suggestions on what to do with Mist. Sorry.

I don't have much guidance for the power level for active abilities, since there's a ton of ways to balance them and I don't want to constrain people too much. You could balance them with cool-downs, constraints, etc, etc, which is a lot to worry about. The passive ability stuff was added in only because they'll be relatively common and so their strengths should be established early on before people complain.

You are incorrect that all active ability use the power pool. It's just there to enable stronger abilities with a cost. So something like: 'Make a basic X attack and add your Y Keep to it' would be totally acceptable as an active ability which you can spam whenever you want. You don't need to draw on anything for it. But if active abilities don't have drawbacks/whatever with them then they won't be super powerful. If that makes any sense.

You're welcome. It's what I'm here for.

I think if the monsters had committed a crime (like killing people) it could apply. What do you think?

Quick edit: in the case of infidels, if Heresy is a crime, it also applies

I'm going to say yes, just because the mental images I'm getting here are hilarious. :v

Mechanically It'd be something along the lines of: 'Roll your Primary attribute and half the result. This counts as an Ternary roll for blah, blah, blah'. Not nearly as good as putting Dice into Enchantment but better than going without any. Fluff-wise it'd be... grit/determination, more or less. Not disbelieving in magic but powering through it. If that makes any sense to you. Which, again, is worse than trying to resist it properly but still better than nothing.

What about Calina, does she get burned at the stake like, three times for lying about her gender, being a heretic, and being a witch?

Only if she makes a big deal about it. Though technically she's an infidel and not a heretic, which is not a burnable offence, so she'll be okay on that part.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mechanically It'd be something along the lines of: 'Roll your Primary attribute and half the result. This counts as an Ternary roll for blah, blah, blah'. Not nearly as good as putting Dice into Enchantment but better than going without any. Fluff-wise it'd be... grit/determination, more or less. Not disbelieving in magic but powering through it. If that makes any sense to you. Which, again, is worse than trying to resist it properly but still better than nothing.

Arite, cool. I wrote that into an ability and put it in my sheet. That work?

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

Excellent.  I wasn't expecting a 100% success rate.  That would be boring.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to starting this thing.  Although being the only actual squire among all these knights is going to be interesting.  Putting on medieval armor without a squire to help you is really hard.  Likewise maintaining it.
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

Ok I've finished my sheet, I hope it's ok.

Spoiler: Finished Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:08:28 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Although being the only actual squire among all these knights is going to be interesting.  Putting on medieval armor without a squire to help you is really hard.  Likewise maintaining it.
I wouldn't put too much stock into that; this is a setting where magic exists and the Fae are everywhere, not the Dung Ages where people care about practicality. :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arite, cool. I wrote that into an ability and put it in my sheet. That work?

The wording is a bit chunky but yeah. It definitely works. Just be aware that since it counts as an Enchantment roll you don't get to add your Honour bonus to it.

Although being the only actual squire among all these knights is going to be interesting.  Putting on medieval armor without a squire to help you is really hard.  Likewise maintaining it.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that; this is a setting where magic exists and the Fae are everywhere, not the Dung Ages where people care about practicality. :P

Pretty much, yeah. This is supposed to be high fantasy after all, not dark and gritty. So we'll just brush over that kind of stuff and call it a day.

-snip-

You're going to have to elaborate by what you mean by 'playing the flute', because I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here. +1k1 is also a weird bonus too so... Yeah. Other than that she seems fine. Also is it just me or do your characters seem to have a lot of parental issues?

Just so you're all aware, the game probably won't start today. My mood is in a weird place right now so I'll be dealing with that instead. Ideally this will start tomorrow, or Monday at the latest. My apologies.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile

You're going to have to elaborate by what you mean by 'playing the flute', because I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here. +1k1 is also a weird bonus too so... Yeah. Other than that she seems fine. Also is it just me or do your characters seem to have a lot of parental issues?

By playing the flute I mean that she can enchant things in two ways, the normal way or enhancing it by playing her flute at the same time as a focus of sorts. I made it +1K1 as it's slightly more conditional than just a passive boost as she needs to be doing something but easy to achieve and can activate in and outside of combat. I'm fine with tweaking it a little though.
And yes they do :p

* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry. It just still seems like it's in a weird place to me. Not general enough for a +0k1 bonus, too specific for a +2k1. So I guess the question is: Do you want to make it more general or more specific? Because I wouldn't accept it as it stands.

Nothing wrong with that. Just sensing a trend here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14