Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233256 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2445 on: July 09, 2018, 10:26:27 pm »

Well, it's a big fight and you'd want to get some use of the change.  I'll make the modification.

If anyone else has any input, I'd gladly receive it.  Done a lot of writing; I'll be back tomorrow so I don't rush it and make mistakes.
If classes that before received no benefit begin to do so, then I think it'd be best to apply a benefit to all classes that did not previously have one. Not sure what the benefit would be  - maybe for classes without any obvious benefit, they should instead experience a slightly faster growth (such as having a chance to gain an additional max HP, by way of roll, after completing tasks that would normally give more max HP as a reward.) This way, players would trade less utility in the field for the chance to grow faster than others with bonuses. Then again, I may also be biased as I would receive a benefit from this.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:28:23 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:40 pm »

Then again, I may also be biased as I would receive a benefit from this.

Ha.

But maybe I'm just a weird GM; I like rules where they're helpful, and I'm okay without rules elsewhere.  Balance if there's something to balance, inequality if it's not a problem.

Professions still aren't that important to this game's mechanical design, but rather to story.  My main concern with giving a power to a "warrior class" still isn't to maintain some sense of "fairness" to "all the classes"; no, my concern isn't on the side of making it good enough.  My concern rather is in the other direction, keeping it simple enough, avoiding a talent that's too powerful when the point of professions was for story first and foremost--and other people are getting zero mechanical benefit anyway.

If you can think of a logical benefit that your character's history would give you, something I can work into the story, then great!  I dunno, there are "low obvious talent, high potential" character classes in videogames, ones who have a different character progression than everybody else; that's kinda like what you're describing.  Otherwise . . . eh, I'm not about to heap on more rules that I'd have to balance.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:13 am »

Previous -- Next

There!  As discussed, I went back to this update and revised: Tohil (randomgenericusername) is now at 11/13 HP.  The majority of you have been successful in using your new friends to avoid the worst of injuries.  (Majority, not all, of course.)  This next turn in the battle is no exception.

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Gary, the last wall tiger, swordperson A, Dustan, swordperson C, Tohil, swordperson D.

Spoiler: Battle in the south (click to show/hide)

The violence continues until the last!  Gary sees just one target left.  You leap at the wall tiger with concentrated fearsomeness.  You lunge all the way beyond it and hook a downward blow into the top of the armor of the swordperson standing on the other side!  This gives the wall tiger the opportunity it needs to claw him one final time!

Swordperson A has been struck down!

In the confusion of melee, the swords are still flying.  Another armored warrior from Rock Bottom finishes the powerful beast before it can do any more damage.

Wall tiger D has been struck down!

. . . But the wall tiger is twitching its last while Tohil is still getting around Gary's interfering form.  Your roaring axe crackles with color-coded power, your hands are raised to obliterate the enemy, and your weapon roars like a furnace under maddened bellows as you strike!!  The dying monster.  Splat!!

The people from Salt back away a little.  Sure, that wasn't your kill.  When it comes time to haul carcasses back to town and sell 'em, though, you get the impression that they're not going to fight you for that one.

Gary regains control of the iron pick.  Ooh, neat; dead things.  You disregard the recent developments in human remains and set down with one of the less-damaged carcasses to begin carving nice new boots.  And gloves!  This could take your full attention . . .

In the north, John ducks into the freshly-mined west-lying area.  It is dry; if these remains hadn't been chewed so thoroughly, they would be preserved meat by now.  At least nothing smells.  The vaguely-mummified hair on the human bears little hint that it was "this bright blue," so you have no idea if this is from Etrigan's missing hauler group.  You see the remains of chain mail and a sword; that's all you got.

Then there's the show around the corner.

It's complicated.  From where Dwain stands, the lanterns of the distant swordsfolk illuminate a terrifying scene of waving heads; two rock hydras have entered the mines through a fresh breach in the wall!

Alyssa pops out of the shale to witness the same against the backdrop of a burning building!  The cavereed thatching is ablaze, and all can see the cloud of smoke spreading in your direction.  The rock hydras are only the start of the problem!

. . . Swordperson H, swordperson E, swordperson G, swordperson I, swordperson F, rock hydra B, rock hydra A.

Spoiler: Battle in the north (click to show/hide)

Oh, the warriors are giving it a good shot, and it's getting messy.  One of the hydras is half-down, but the multi-mouthed monsters are made for mangling mobs, and they are striking many bites through the armor.  Cringing faces show the effects of paralysis taking hold!

Not to mention they're distracted by the burning building.  Shouts of "Fire!" continue when they can.  Solde, coming up from behind, calls to Dwain (and anyone who can hear) "Confined space!  No ventilation!  Get some hands on the wheelbarrows and haul the water kegs over there!"  He then turns around, presumably to recruit the southern forces next.

. . . And, next?

Spoiler: P.S. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:24:02 am by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:12 am »

Now tha the fight was over, it was time to deal with the fallen warriors.

"...These men, they bravely fought until their deaths. A glorious death, a true warrior's demise. And thus, they deserve a warrior's burial."

Tohil drags the two corpses north, and prepares them for the sacred cremation. Chant many prayers to the Sun and praise the fallen warrior's courage and bravery.

"May their souls live forever as the flames of the Sun! Glory and Death: the fate of the warriors of Sol, The Incandescent One! Umbasa!"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:28:04 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:20 am »

Do what Solde said, try to keep away from the fight.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 10, 2018, 10:27:15 am »

(Re: PS, I had imagined that magic fire might actually be just limited by its magicalness into not sustaining (perhaps suppressing!) post-enchantment conflagrations sparked off beyond the timed/area-effect limit. In which case, perhaps puking out such flame over a burning building could, beyond the extra damage of the moment, revert the continuing conflagration back to "magical rules" and thus quickly die down, or at least become relatively 'smokeless'. If true, this would, of course, have meant that one could indeed try to fight fire with fire! So much for that theory of the moment.  ;))

Reluctantly torn from the sight of swordspeople who clearly still have a battle far from won, go for a barrow. I'm not yet too far that way to dash back, I might even get to a barrow before the Southern combatants recover enough to get there, and I can always hand over to another of these free pair of hands if we then collectively pass by the Hydras battle with my contribution in that direction being obviously more useful than the ones heading for the flames.

(In other words, I'll gladly pass water but I might yet have to head off the hydras!)

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 10, 2018, 11:52:00 am »

Walk out of the wall, then throw my phasestrike javelin at the hydra with less damage (most health). Retreat back into the wall if the hydras advance on me.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 10, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »

Gary devotes his full attention to his crafting.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:25 pm »

Tend to the injured as best I can before joining the battle in the north!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 10, 2018, 05:17:33 pm »

(That was fast.  Right: weekdays, you people, fast.)

flame over a burning building could, beyond the extra damage of the moment, revert the continuing conflagration back to "magical rules" and thus quickly die down

( . . . This would not be the first game where that worked.  But seriously, dude!)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:55 pm »

Previous -- Next

It'll be complicated for awhile.  I'm deep in managing things both for a move AND for bits of vacation and/or travel that I'm doing BEFORE the move.  This means there will be busytime and downtime.  Which is it now?  Updatetime.

Everyone is going every which way, with some in more peril than others.  Tohil speaks words of faith for the fallen; the not-quite-yet-fallen seem still to be backing away, but whatever, you're going to treat the dead right.  As other events transpire, you begin moving the first of two corpses up out of the pit.

(This will take two turns to avoid causing you any "heavy lifting" rolls.  You also pick up and move that lost sword to keep it with the warrior who used it.)

John and Dwain have been called over to the east and hurry to locate water kegs.  Looks like two of the Salt family's wheelbarrows have hefty kegs in them, and that's a lot easier for transportation than carrying them on your back (John should know; you still have one), so you get to wheeling.

Spoiler: The GM being nice (click to show/hide)

John has been thinking.  Rock hydras, in your experience, aren't known for breathing fire, and you did hear that familiar "boom" earlier.  This is mighty suspicious.

Solde delivers instructions to the people in the southern pit, and this gets the two surviving warriors to hurry along.  Dustan had intended to look after injuries; Gary and Tohil have only minor wounds, and they're not standing still, so you join the northward rush.

You'll be there very soon.  But for now . . . !

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Swordperson E, swordperson G, swordperson I, swordperson H, rock hydra B, rock hydra A, Alyssa Alpine, swordperson F.

The numbness caused by rock hydra saliva is surely taking its toll.  Warriors struggle to do enough damage.  Finally, great blows followed by weakened blows are too much for a weakened creature and it breathes its last!

Rock hydra A has been struck down!

If the other reacts in rage you wouldn't know, as its ferocity continues unabated!  It presses southward, away from the smoke.  Its heads lash the mob of warriors and one buries itself in the heart of a struggling victim!

Swordperson F has been struck down!

Alyssa tries to contribute with a phasestrike javelin thrown from safety, but the angle is just wrong and you fail to penetrate its thick hide.  Your weapon clatters to the ground and you sink back into the wall.  Aside from the odd failure, you could get used to this "bloodbinding" thing.

Gary (Coolrune206): I'll get back to your crafting efforts with some rolls once I feel enough time has passed that it's worth checking.  Meanwhile, what tools are you using, anyway?  Wanna grab that other dead warrior's sword before Tohil (randomgenericusername) takes it away for funerary arrangements?

And everyone heading north: assume you can reach the combat and/or the burning building on your next move.  Building up speed with wild reckless wheelbarrow-pushing sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:41:53 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 11, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »

"May their blades forever cleave the night as warriors of the eternal Sol! Glory and Death: the destiny of the Knights of the Sun! Umbasa!"

Tohil continues the funeral. He leaves both bodies holding their weapons and prepares to use his flint and prayers to set them alight. Cleansing fire for their souls to leave the mortal earth and rise to the divine skies, so that they may become one with the sun.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 11, 2018, 03:02:06 pm »

"Uh, yeah, but don't you think it'd be even more honorable to them if their swords were kept in use killing more of the creatures they devoted their lives to slaying? I do. Let's give these men and their blades the honor they deserve."

Gary decides to put his crafting on pause, taking the severed paws with him, and follows Dustan.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:49:40 pm by Coolrune206 »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 11, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »

"I disagree. It wouldn't be honourable to use a fellow warrior's blade. They will need their weapons to fend off the darkness of the treacherous Luna and to find their way to Sol. Only thieves and desperate men would use a dead man's weapon and you already have a warhammer with you."

"...But I might allow it once the sacred funerary rites are completed."

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:15 pm »

Sneak north and see if there is anything else down the passageway that had opened up.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 173