Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233185 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2475 on: July 13, 2018, 06:57:57 am »

Looking back, when I had the rock hydra randomly target John (ziizo) in passing, I neglected to change the combat table for the different armor.  Amnesiac robe and all that.  However, the same roll applied to a different table makes it a little more annoying for you (removed from the table was the defensive power of chain mail, you see), so now you have a -3 to your next damage roll in combat due to the nasty paralytic saliva.

Gary rushes over to lend assistance to Dustan with his rescue efforts.

With or without engaging the enemy in violence?

[Statements!]

Just so long as it's the character doing all this, not the player.  Next update, Solde will probably point out that he wants to see existing fires under control before new ones are made.  Which is fine roleplaying, just that I want to ensure everything that goes into updates is intended.

. . . And soon I will be traveling for fun stuff this weekend.  And then after that I will be traveling for a different batch of fun stuff.  I'll read, write, and update as I can!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:37 am »

(Tohil is just explaining that the only way to both remove the corpses and give them a burial would be with fire. He hasn't noticed the fires north, as he was distracted by the wall tiger ambush.)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: July 13, 2018, 08:55:37 am »

Gary will only engage if he is targeted.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:00 am »

I'm obviously absorbed in the drenching but if the distracted warrior's distractions are distracting enough I shall react to the abstract and be proactive in locating and hydrating the location of such vexation.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: July 13, 2018, 04:49:58 pm »

I am fine with the hydra trying a sneak attack to my.

"Move out of the smoke then"
Try Dwain plan AKA: run towards the fire and cast fire-puke at it hopefully killing the non-magical fire.
Scream to the guys in the smoke to move then puke fire in the smoke once I am not risking burning allies.

My proposite this time is attacking unknow thing in the smoke not dealing with it or the fire.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:05:13 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 13, 2018, 05:01:46 pm »

Investigate the building fire, using the stone to protect myself from the heat/smoke

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: July 13, 2018, 05:06:44 pm »

((@ziizo:) That was not actually a Dwain plan, and even *I* am fairly sure it won't work like that and it will likely be awkward, but I'll let the GM work on resolving the result collision of intent. As a character I'll be oblivious until I am not.)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: July 13, 2018, 07:01:35 pm »

((@ziizo:) That was not actually a Dwain plan, and even *I* am fairly sure it won't work like that and it will likely be awkward, but I'll let the GM work on resolving the result collision of intent. As a character I'll be oblivious until I am not.)
Ok changing the action then.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: July 13, 2018, 09:45:18 pm »

Ha, I like how this is turning out.  Thanks for the actions; I'll be in transit soon and will update who-knows-when!  (There should be some downtime along the way.  But this is a lot of dice.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: July 16, 2018, 09:58:20 pm »

Previous -- Next

Long fight scene and lots of updates.  I hope people are finding it a satisfactory experience!

Tohil is immediately harangued by Solde.  (Wow, and he seemed so nice before.)  There are words about "Priorities!" with the living still in danger of joining the dead.  Especially, there are words to the effect of "Can you not smell the smoke?"  He makes disbelieving hand gestures back and forth between where you had been planning to build a funeral pyre and where, come to think of it, you can see distant smoke.  He says there's a burning building.  Ahhh, now you get it.  Maybe you can take advantage of that fire and solve more than one problem at once!

(I'm not trying to speak for you; I just thought it would be funny.)

. . . Swordperson C, swordperson D, swordperson E, MYSTERIOUS ENTITY, John, swordperson I, Dwain, Gary, Dustan, Alyssa Alpine, the rock hydra.

(Interesting how the ones with swords have consistently out-maneuvered the ones with teeth.  Maybe they'll live through this . . . )

The smoke continues to spread rapidly, obscuring the view out of the north.  The rock hydra continues to push south, into the crowd of combatants.  The combatants continue to assail the beast as well as they can, but they are matched in number by people now trying to get them to back away; Dustan and Gary arrive to get them to retreat for their own health.  The efforts are half-successful: Gary pulls away a warrior, but Dustan's struggle brings him into range for a brutal series of sawing bites, complete with paralytic saliva!

Dustan now has -7 to his next damage roll in combat!

You can feel your muscles weakening.  Oh yeah, it's totally worth it to save these people.  From here, you wonder whether the rock hydra were even interested in predation, or if it were just trying to get people out of its way.  For Gary, it clicks: the beast is just as afraid of fire as any of the other creatures you've seen down here, and south--through all the warriors--is the first way out it can see.

John goes in pursuit of the alleged unseen entity in the smoke.  Both you and Dwain think you can see something; something bipedal.  Your arrival is greeted by the flailing sword of the swordperson who had announced the problem; ouch, watch where you're swinging that thing!  You bellow for all present to get out of your way and call upon the glowstone still burning within your veins.

Fwoosh!  You can hardly see a thing in the layers of smoke upon smoke, but that had to make an impression.

Everyone who matters is out of the way.  Alyssa, passing through the walls, heard the warning and has ascended slightly above the level of the conflict.

(I've been vague about how tall these tunnel areas are.  In the graphic, I say that Alyssa is at "z+1," though we're not talking about one of those wide-open quarry areas so I suppose it's more like "z+1/2" or "z+3/4," but those aren't as nice to fit onto the map.  Eh.)

From there you're afflicted by roiling clouds and heated air, but you can see that those in the east are making progress on the fire.  The swordperson who dropped a keg is trying again.  She has much greater success with water-keg-aim this time, dousing a large patch of flames!  Dwain continues at work; you finish emptying the keg you first grabbed, creating what you think should be a broad enough area of wet thatching to keep the remaining fire under control.  Progress!

(I'm pleased with how the gout of flame looks within the cloud of pre-existing smoke.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:29:32 pm by Sir Knight »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: July 17, 2018, 12:22:33 am »

"Dustan! Do you want me to pull you out of there, or should I instead prioritize fighting the Hydra?!", Gary shouts.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:38 am »

"Probably done. Now stop attacking me and go to kill the hydra"
Attack the rock hydra with my pickaxe.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:21:28 am by ziizo »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: July 17, 2018, 11:22:38 am »

Holy cow, -7 damage roll? That's absurdly high!
quickly run away before paralysis sets in, I don't particularly want to die here! If it pursues me with intent to kill, fend it off with my healknife as best I can.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: July 17, 2018, 11:51:25 am »

Run to where the others are!
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: July 17, 2018, 04:37:49 pm »

I have a job to finish, but pay attention to anything bipedal (or sword-swinging) and once I can safely see what's on the other side of the conflagration...
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 173