Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233205 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2460 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:59 pm »

"Mmmmm. Alright then."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:08 pm »

Which is it now?  Updatetime.
Just you wait until it's once again Hammertime!

Looks like I'm going to be passing Hydra B about the time it's subject to a near lethal concentration of distilled swordspeople essence, so I'll likely not be distracted by that. There's got to be a seat of fire (or several (whether or not that's the sun-with-rays symbol, rather than merely incidental fire currently not obscured by smoke), which might be Significant!), and if nobody with more experience comes and does it 'properly', I'll probably try to dampen down in a way targeted towards that (or a) seat and dispelling the obscuring smoke as best I can while doing so. Rule of thumb: try not to choke on smoke, definitely don't start melting or charring my worn equipment.

(The lack of connectivity betwixt hydra and fire had caught my attention, as was the wildlife not being rock-burrowing, that I can tell. Both fire and rogue entrances might have come from someone with some pyrotechnic explosive of some kind, but that's me-speculation, and Dwain is obviously too busy. That said, if a new breech opens up right next to him, and it doesn't do distractingly high personal damage for whatever reason, it would seem obvious to first check what might well be coming out then (with phasing readily in mind, should it find use henceforth) and then rush to see if there are signs of an instigator. That's if that happens.)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 11, 2018, 06:15:50 pm »

Continue pushing the wheelbarrow.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:08 pm »

hey! I said heal the f***ing people! That includes the swordsmen!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:53 am »

"Uh, yeah, but don't you think it'd be even more honorable to them if their swords were kept in use killing more of the creatures they devoted their lives to slaying? I do. Let's give these men and their blades the honor they deserve."

Gary decides to put his crafting on pause, taking the severed paws with him, and follows Dustan.

He he he.  Four paws?  Removed via mining pick?  I can see rolling dice for the comedic results.

Or do you wanna say you would have gone for a sword while it was still available, and this conversation happens partway through?

That includes the swordsmen!

I know, I know.  But they were declining care in the name of the emergency--even if you started, they'd be pulled away by commands from Solde.  So, for ease of narrative, I didn't try to write all that and just did the little description which said "nope, no healing."

With this in mind, what will be your action?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

That is my action!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 12, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »

That is my action!

Uh.

Okay then!  And hey, if you're looking for more injuries to sew up, you're probably going to be satisfied soon enough.

So that just leaves the matter of what Gary (Coolrune206) thinks about swords: so I can get this scene right, and ascertain the balance of butchery success and funerary attention, do you think you would have grabbed the sword from the ground before beginning to carve?  (The alternative, again, is a mining pick.  Pointy.)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 12, 2018, 04:57:22 pm »

I think he's going to use a pick. He was going to use a sword, but Tohil dissuaded Gary from doing it just yet.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:54 pm »

Mmmmm... Do I want the good results of the sword, or the humour of the mining pick. I'm really torn here. I'll flip a coin, tails being sword, heads being mining pick.

And it's tails, so I guess Gary snatches the sword before Tohil responds, severs the paws, and then returns it.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 12, 2018, 05:01:16 pm »

Tohil beheads Gary with his Roaring Axe then.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 12, 2018, 05:39:35 pm »

Tohil beheads Gary with his Roaring Axe then.

He he.  I won't actually record that one.  (Besides, I was figuring that he'd grab the sword while you were distracted by moving the first body.  The timing just works, and we don't have to belabor this point in the overall update.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:56 pm »

Previous -- Next

Okay.  I've had the dynamics for this part of the scene in my head for awhile; it's just a little challenging to get out cleanly.  I think I'll need the combat round order to see what's what.  But first . . .

Gary and Tohil have a brief disagreement over the fallen warriors.  Specifically their weapons: when Tohil first had his back turned, Gary sneaked a sword away and commenced butchery on the wall tiger.  Splat!  x4!  Wow, must have hit the wrist and ankle joints just right the first time.  As Gary gets four severed paws into his backpack, Tohil pulls the second warrior out from this dismal salty pit and up to a better place to start a funerary pyre.

It is then that Solde looks over from the fast-moving fire response team in the west to your flint-and-sparks action in the south and shouts "What are you thinking?!"

Alyssa continues taking advantage of relative-imperviousness within the wall to investigate the breach.  It looks just like the many other crevices you've seen in the underground: beyond the free shale clutter at your feet, it marches smoothly onward into the distance.  Uninteresting and empty.

The main action is to your side, where many bodies are approaching collision.  Behind them, Dustan is following with manic intent on medicine.  Does no one listen to medical professionals?

(There are enough non-combat actions here that I need the round order just to know what events happen . . . )

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Swordperson H, swordperson G, swordperson C, swordperson I, the rock hydra, swordperson E, swordperson D, Dwain, John.

Spoiler: The fighty bits (click to show/hide)

Nope, no one listens, and combat continues at full speed.  You turn the corner to find the other swordpeople in fierce battle with a rock hydraAnother of the beasts is already down, but the humans are suffering, and before your eyes two of them try to pull away.  The beast kills one . . .

Swordperson G has been struck down!

. . . and tragically the other runs straight into the blade of a fellow warrior!

Swordperson H has been struck down!

Dwain and John are powering past with the wheelbarrows--though the fiend nicks John with a small bite along the way.  A disproportionate numbness takes hold.

John now has -3 to his next damage roll in combat!

The veterans of the southern pit who followed you here look torn over which fight to follow, but they stick to fighting fire.

Ugh, the smoke is spreading QUICKLY.  Looks like you have . . . five water kegs here, all of them mostly full.  One of the warriors hefts a keg but seems distracted and can't get it high enough to reach the thatch.  Another spills the keg on the ground and wastes all the water!  But Dwain gets a good splash onto the thatch, and hopefully that's a start on slowing the progression.

Oh, and the warrior who seemed distracted seems distracted.  You can hardly see him in the grey and black clouds, but you can hear him.  "There's something in the smoke!"

I told you this scene was complicated.  Also, John (ziizo): I wasn't sure if you'd want to engage in combat or try to douse the flames, which turned out well for becoming a rock hydra target, but might not have been your intention.  Just lemme know if there's something I should have done for you and I can work it into the start of what comes next.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:57:40 am by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 12, 2018, 09:49:45 pm »

"bloody suicidal swordsmen! Have some self preservation instinct before I make you WISH you has some!"
drag away the most injured by force if I have to, and heal them so they don't die!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:26 pm »

Gary rushes over to lend assistance to Dustan with his rescue efforts.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:46 pm »

"What, you want to let these guys rot here? To let them be consumed by the same beasts we're trying to get rid of?"

What's this guy's deal? If he had a problem with this, he should have said it earlier, not when I already started with the funeral. So what does he want to do with the corpses? We can't carry them back to town or anywhere else considering the weight. We can't just make a pit and bury them and we can't just leave them here to be food for the cavern animals, the exact same things we are here to eliminate. Only way to both get rid of the bodies and giving them the funeral they deserve would be doing a cremation.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:47:05 am by randomgenericusername »
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 173