Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233288 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2415 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:34 am »

Grab wall tiger B and beat it into submission (without killing it preferably.) Then try to find a way to restrain it if it is still alive.

Non-lethal.  Non-lethal, really?  Really?

(What can I say?  I like not always knowing what's going to happen in this game.)
I want a wall tiger pet. Sue me. Worst case I can kill it myself at only 3 hp.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:34:40 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 03, 2018, 05:18:00 pm »

Previous -- Next

Yay, I'd wanted to do a really big battle sometime!  And since most combat tables are in the last post, this might actually be readable . . .

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Wall tiger A, Dustan, swordperson A, Gary, wall tiger D, wall tiger C, wall tiger B, Tohil, swordperson D, swordperson C, swordperson B.

With the wall tiger ambush foiled as an ambush per se, the creatures proceed with what else they know: clawing at people, chomping them with rows of small teeth, and dragging them away for a meal.  The one on the western slope tries just that with the nearby warrior, attempting to drag her down the slope and end resistance.  Her armor is the only thing that saves her, lessening the blow to the point she can stay on her feet.  Her counterattack doesn't work, her sword clattering to the ground overhead as she skids into the pit with her attacker.

On the other slope, Dustan tries to take down a weakened target without killing it, grabbing at its neck and keeping a safe angle on its front claws.  You do pretty well!  For someone wrestling a beast more than three times your mass.

The nearby Salt-people (clarification: they are made of people, not made of salt) do not get the point, and one of them takes this as assistance in delivering a killing blow.  At least you get to see the eye-stab you'd been wanting: iron sinks straight into the skull!

Wall tiger B has been struck down!

The swordperson who identified the new threats in the well keeps some distance from them, slashing at the slightly-charred wall tiger as it slides down the slope.  Gary arrives at a run and tries to bring that iron war hammer to bear from a height advantage.  Bonk, it slides right off the hide!  Ah, yes, people make armor out of this hide.  Tohil, having far better luck slinging fire skulls than the exiles usually have, ignites one last puff of flame on that enemy.  It shrinks away in pain!

And then a larger battle is joined as the final swordperson meets in the pit with the newest wall tigers.  It's getting bloody . . .

. . . Swordperson G, swordperson F, swordperson E, swordperson H, Alyssa Alpine, bug bat bird flock A, John, Dwain, swordperson I, bug bat bird flock B.

Spoiler: Further rolling (click to show/hide)

In the west, two of the people waving swords dive into the bug bat bird swarm.  One manages to put himself directly in the way of sharp pointy teeth, but between the two of them they're swatting the things out of commission.

Alyssa, seeing the danger plain as day, calls upon the power of bloodbinding.  You give of your strength freely.  It activates--

(If this were an animated cartoon, this is the point where a dramatic "" symbol would wash across the screen.)

You feel within you the presence of the earth; a weight flowing through your veins.  And yet, as etherstone, it is light; a lightness that could carry you through the air!

So naturally you dive face-first into the ground to keep away from the flappy beasts that already own the air.  Whoosh the shale whips by.  It is at this point you realize no one ever said you could see when inside solid rock.  Which way is forward?  Which way is . . . up?

No, you can tell which way is up, as you feel a pressure keeping you from descending too far away from your "resting height."  With that you push to the west.  Behind you, you would have no way of knowing that the first flock has been defeated . . .

Bug bat bird has been struck down! x8

. . . but this way at least you're avoiding the second.  A little back up again, and you poke your face out of what you suddenly realize is a wall of solid rock salt.  Gah!  The dust!  The dryness!

This "pit" has been carved upward, terraced really, in the opposite manner to the southern dig.  There are no other creatures visible by the group's lantern-light.  It looks like the start of a lair here; less tidy than the wall tiger area, but then, these are lightweight flying creatures.

Meanwhile this excursion has taken time.  In the intervening moments, the exiles "outside" hear the sound of collapsing rock in the distance.  Yet more breaches are being opened in the depths of the mines!  And with it comes the sound of moving creatures!  A number of aggrieved swordsfolk break off yet again to head north.  But now the bug bat birds are coming!  Wait a minute . . . John thinks he heard a "boom" somewhere in all that distant noise.

John (ziizo) and Dwain (Starver): because I interrupted the combat round order with this new development before really "activating" your actions, the two of you will be well-off in the next round.  You could hack at stuff at the top of the round and still have spare time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:45:10 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 03, 2018, 05:36:08 pm »

"FOR THE SUN!!"
Tohil raises and wields his axe with his two hands, as he unleashes a mighty wacry to intimidate the enemy and charges! He aim and attacks the closes wall tiger, trying to behead it with a charge attack!
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 03, 2018, 06:16:48 pm »

As I haven't been noted as having discovered much else, I should probably continue to produce bugbatbird pancakes as planned. If I get a breather, I assume I saw Alyssa 'dive for cover' and if I see the point of reappearance then they're at least as in danger from other roaming mobs once more, so either look for or head for my colleague again. (If push comes to shove, I now know what can be done, and I can take one person in contact with me, yes? And it would spread the pain and effort. Not that I'm immediately doing it this turn, but it's an option.)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 03, 2018, 07:17:24 pm »

So he was winning at wrestling with a wall tiger three times his weight, as a psychotic murder-doctor with a hatred for laziness and stupidity.  Is my incarnation in this RTD becoming a memetic badass or something? I'm starting to feel like that, and it worries me.
Launch myself into combat with tiger D. Stabbing time!
"I'll take care of this one, go help the others!"
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 04, 2018, 05:39:20 am »

"wait I want to test this in combat"
Stop Dwain for a second so I can try my fire puke (glowstone bloodbinding) in the bug bat swarm.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 04, 2018, 08:01:52 am »

(If push comes to shove, I now know what can be done, and I can take one person in contact with me, yes? And it would spread the pain and effort. Not that I'm immediately doing it this turn, but it's an option.)

Not without a further bloodbinding session.  With your first, you can transport yourself.  With your second, you can add someone else.

Given, now, that John (ziizo) has spoken, you might feel free to toss out more in reply.  Conditionals or whatever.  As I said, the two of you get breathing room this round.

Back . . . sometime!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:14 am »

Not without a further bloodbinding session.  With your first, you can transport yourself.  With your second, you can add someone else.
That bit had escaped me.

And if I bet that warning, hug heed it and keep to the side, ready to dodge puke or... whatever.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 05, 2018, 12:51:59 pm »

. . . I think your autocorrect had fun with that, Starver.

But now I just need Alyssa (Rautherdir) and, if available, Gary (Coolrune206)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 05, 2018, 01:28:48 pm »

And if I bet that warning, hug heed it and keep to the side, ready to dodge puke or... whatever.
I have no idea how that went so wrong.

If I get (simple keyboard slip?) that warning, hug (ummm¹) heed it and keep to the side, ready to dodge puke (that's what I typed, and meant to type, though I did doubt it for a moment) or... whatever.

¹ Might be a remnant of "hug the side", conceivably but I doubt it.  It isn't even a word that comes up above "e" in the autosuggest when I start to type "heed". Maybe my device is trying to ask for more hugs?

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 05, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »

Dive down and North and see what's going on over there.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 06, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

Previous -- Next

And I seem to be ready, again following a general "engage the enemy" command for Gary (Coolrune206).

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Wall tiger A, swordperson C, wall tiger D, swordperson A, Tohil, swordperson D, Gary, swordperson B, wall tiger C, Dustan.

The salt pit in the south, scraped near-clean by mining picks, now is washed with blood.  The charred wall tiger finally strikes a killing blow on the human in front of it, then chomps down on her neck to drag her away.  Feeding time!

Swordperson B has been struck down!

Feeding time canceled on account of other swordsfolk!  One breaks away from the massive beasts in the middle of the pit and pursues the retreating enemy before it can get out of reach.  He cuts into its exposed flank.  The attack is fatal!

Wall tiger A has been struck down!

The others go back and forth drawing blood until Tohil decides to reintroduce fire.  Your roaring axe glows the color of disturbed searing-hot coals as it whistles through the air (at least magenta coals), and you rush forward to strike a killing blow "FOR THE SUN!!"

You strike a glancing blow!  The wall tiger nonetheless recoils as though terribly burnt--or, perhaps, it has learned to fear you as the one that brings fire.

Dustan attempts to take advantage of this distraction.  You descend the slope, closely followed by the slumping body of your would-be captive.  Unfortunately, your aim is just wrong, and this new enemy's distraction is not enough to give you an angle.

Gary gets his act together and tries an iron pick this time.  Ah, the sharp tip sinks into the nearest wall tiger like a mighty claw!  Speaking of that relevant metaphor, the beast swipes you in response, but it does such damage struggling against your pick that its life blood pours onto the ground!

Wall tiger C has been struck down!

(Sadly, that does not count as your kill.  I've maintained such a rule in the past about self-damage deaths.)

. . . John and Dwain go first, and then swordperson F, Alyssa Alpine, the bug bat birds, swordperson H, swordperson I, swordperson G, swordperson E.

John's face turns thoughtful.  You have had good fortune with area-of-effect methods in the past--and today a new power flows through your veins.  Or, you might say, glows.  You give it the very blood in those veins and the bloodbinding activates--

(Yeah, a "" symbol flashing on the screen wouldn't make for good animated drama.  Fine deal this ain't animated.)

Such a burn!  Yet the glowstone only invigorates you; you can feel the heat building in your lungs, yet it will never consume them.  It has already eaten all it will from you.  Now to let it consume others . . .

(After this firebreath, there is smoke which impacts everyone's rolls as shown above.  The smoke effect then clears rapidly and does nothing on the following rounds.  And as always, this map is just a snapshot: read on for how the circumstances change.)

What an astounding sensation!  You breath fire into the oncoming flock, and the majority of their number melts, either figuratively or literally.  The survivors move on to Dwain and the two swordpeople who remained.  Dwain does pretty much as before, engaging them as they approach and smashing a number of the more successful ones against the wall.  Between the lot of you, it is soon over.

Bug bat bird has been struck down! x29

By this point, the other three armed individuals have vanished to the north.  Alyssa likewise has taken a dive and is pushing onward through solid rock.

(I didn't roll for this "shale-diving" because you are in no peril and there's no logical way you'd be fast enough to cross that much distance.  You'll emerge next update into . . . circumstances.)

Whoa, what's going on to the north?  John and Dwain hear violence.  And hissing.  And someone just started shouting "Fire!  Fire!"  Seriously?  Is no one paying attention?  Aren't you the one with the burny powers?

Hey, Solde seems to be heading over at a brisk pace.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:08 am »

(As usual, more's going on than anyone would let us know about.)

Having (temporarily) lost sight of Alyssa, for whatever combined reasons of distractions and divings, I cannot really ignore the fuss to the north. Get a bead on what's happening, if possible. With the B³ cavern to the west, and Solde arriving from the east (try to assess their reaction) if the anonymous hired hands aren't enough to deal with this (probably not!) I want to react to this, not be reacted upon.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 07, 2018, 09:19:06 am »

Check the humanoid corpse in the left tunnel to see if is the blue-haired guy we are trying to find. Then go to the north with the rest.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 07, 2018, 02:08:45 pm »

Strike at the other tiger with the might of the Sun!

((What were the combat bonuses of being a knight again?))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 173