Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233319 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2400 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:48 am »

Previous -- Next

So I had fun planning just how complicated this was going to get.  I'll start with the obvious bit.

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Dustan goes first, and then swordperson D, swordperson C, wall tiger A, wall tiger B, swordperson B, Gary, swordperson A, Tohil.

Spoiler: To the violence! (click to show/hide)

Combat begins, and with it strategy.  And surprises.

Dustan was already in motion, quickly crossing the distance to the wall tiger still on its feet.  Maybe you haven't faced this exact snarl before, but you know how to wipe it away.  You are joined by two people waving swords; you and one of your allies hack at the scales on its face, dealing bloody damage but not enough yet to stop it.  The other sword misses, and this gives the opening for the wall tiger to counterattack, gouging his sword arm nearly where it meets his torso.

Tohil tries to get everyone in motion (what is that one person in front of you doing?!) and is stuck trying to pick the best target.  Ultimately you fling your second fire skull into the wall tiger in the east.  Poof!  Fire!  Ha ha, light shines in the dark!

On the west side of the pit, one other sword fighter runs along the slope and tries to slaughter the remaining monster before it can get to its feet.  Too late!  It kicks off with its hind legs and whips into the air, bringing a paw down with enough force to break her collar bone.  At least that's probably what happens; her charge undeniably misses the wall tiger as a result.

In the northwest, John's approaching lantern shines light just within the opening to the west.  A solid wall of rock salt indicates a pit in progress; stripped bones indicate an animal lair.  The noises of conflict clearly disturb whatever lies within.  At last the strange sounds resolve themselves into flapping and skittering calls, and a flock of hideous bug bat bird things descends from the ceiling and pours down the tunnel toward you!  It looks like there might even be another group coming in behind the first!

Gary, keeping his distance for just a moment longer, hears yet another sound.  A "snap!"  Fingers snapping once, only once.  You spare a glance and see Solde giving a look to the swordsfolk who aren't yet engaged in the southern pit, pointing now in the direction of new assault.  All immediately rush to the northwest.

They'll be a bit late to the party.

. . . The first bug bat bird flock, Alyssa Alpine, Dwain, John.

Spoiler: More violence! (click to show/hide)

Alyssa is clearly taking the worst of the attack, and you stagger backward under countless small bites.  Throwing a javelin is the last thing on your mind; you flail about with your sword and are fortunate to shred a swath of them with each swing.

Some among them have already moved on to Dwain and John.  Ow, the tiny tiny teeth!  They seem at least uncoordinated in their attack; a number land on Dwain's back, and as you pound apart their compatriots with your war hammer, your convenient position against a wall lets you crush every attacker that bites you right against the shale.  John likewise deals damage, and backup should be here in just a moment.

Bug bat bird has been struck down! x17

Around this point, the one armed representative of the Salt family who's just standing there in the southern pit finally gets his words together.  "The well!"

Ah, two more wall tigers are climbing straight out of the emergency well.  They must have been waiting to make their own ambush.  About that.

Now hurry up and get creatures/people killed.  The number of rolls could get quite high.  In the case that I'm choosing an action for Gary (Coolrune206), I'll assume you advance to attack whatever enemy winds up closest with one weapon or the other.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:37:06 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 27, 2018, 09:06:29 am »

"Enemy reinforcements incoming! Just like I thought, these aren't common mindless animals! Quick, finish off our current opponents before they manage to regroup! The last thing we want is having four monsters mauling us at the same time!"

Shoot my last fire skull to the Wall Tiger climbing out of the well to make it fall back into the dark abyss inside the well, unless it already climbed out. In that case, fire at the wounded Wall Tiger with the highest health.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 27, 2018, 09:58:22 am »

attack the bug bat Birds.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 27, 2018, 10:26:45 am »

((That was a lot more damage then I was expecting.))

Activate Etherstone binding, float down into the rock and then across to where I can see another flock as well as a dead person and turkey thing? Anyways, go find out what is over there and then return, while mostly submerged by stone.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:15 am »

Looks like I should wade towards Alyssa, although it'd mean losing the wall advantage. Still, I shall probably swing this hammer round more in compensation (watch out behind!).

(Ninjaed as I am, I'm still doing this. It'll be a distraction in case the phasing plan doesn't go to plan. Like there being a third flock.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:02 am »

Arrrrgh I just got the best game-related private message I've ever received and I'm feeling terribly guilty.  It's one of those "I joined the forum to play your game" messages.  The only thing that ever matches such a message is fanart.  (Which I wouldn't have mentioned otherwise, as I didn't want people to think I'm stumping for art.)

Here's the deal:

I have commentary on your actions so far, but there's no getting around this inevitable post.  I will continue to work at the rate that I can, and I hope you all enjoy getting yourselves beaten up in this scene.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 27, 2018, 02:08:44 pm »

I don't really know what to say or how to feel about this.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 27, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »

Firstly: Whatever else happens, good luck guiding your Real World character through the caverns of Life. I hear the lanterns are really underpowered, so you can hardly see which way to go, but there's loads of potential XP available if you strike out into the murky unknown at the right times, and fewer over-powered End Of Level Bosses than some people complain about.

As to the game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Obviously, you're thinking a little ahead, right now. Ultimately it's your baby and I'll totally roll with your other needs and commitments. Which means I'm probably not helping you decide anything.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 28, 2018, 09:34:53 am »

Meta-game:

Spoiler: More about the future (click to show/hide)

Game:

I'd wanted to comment on Alyssa (Rautherdir)'s action.  Yes, that was a lot of damage; exactly why it's good to have max HP high enough to survive one blow from anything!  Walking through stone is probably a good idea for getting away, getting a defensive bonus, and possibly advancing the scene.  This sort of thing was intended as a desperation move to keep you from permanent problems (i.e., death), so yeah.  And I was simply going to do my duty and remind all assembled that it would cost a point of max HP (hopefully to be recovered upon completing the adventure) and last for the entirety of this scene.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:10 am »

Meta-game:

Spoiler: More about the future (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 29, 2018, 03:14:25 pm »

Spoiler: And in reply (click to show/hide)

In any case, I know I dumped a huge heap of chaos on you, but I am still hoping to advance the game here.  I've (mostly) got the time.  That means I could use actions from Dustan (Dustan Hache) and Gary (Coolrune206), though I could make the pre-mentioned assumptions about Gary.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:45 am »

In any case, I know I dumped a huge heap of chaos on you, but I am still hoping to advance the game here.  I've (mostly) got the time.  That means I could use actions from Dustan (Dustan Hache) and Gary (Coolrune206), though I could make the pre-mentioned assumptions about Gary.

Lacking immediate input, I have put together part of an update assuming that Dustan, naturally, keeps with the killing.  I'll keep poking at it and may launch if I get nothing else.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 03, 2018, 07:44:38 am »

Grab wall tiger B and beat it into submission (without killing it preferably.) Then try to find a way to restrain it if it is still alive.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:02 am »

Grab wall tiger B and beat it into submission (without killing it preferably.) Then try to find a way to restrain it if it is still alive.

Non-lethal.  Non-lethal, really?  Really?

(What can I say?  I like not always knowing what's going to happen in this game.)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 03, 2018, 08:56:46 am »

And Dustan was the one saying that Tohil was acting stupid?  :P
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 173