Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233294 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2370 on: June 17, 2018, 06:03:08 pm »

Gary stops and looks around, making sure to check the ceiling. Things seemed too quiet for the amount of blood that had been spilled here. Perhaps a wall tiger or two was waiting in ambush?
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 17, 2018, 06:15:06 pm »

So, no signs of battle yet. Not sure if it's reassuring or not. "Are you happy keeping an eye on all our barrows alone, Solde, if we're all rushing off?" (talking across three of the Salt Warriors who have moved the least, so maybe they'll be doing some guarding).

I think I can afford to move a bit further towards Alyssa's current position, though I don't know if Alyssa is actually staying in that spot yet, or not. But unless some sort of cthulic creature rises out of that well (that I'm not sure I can properly see, myself, at that distance and depression) I'm betting that any trouble we encounter is still with the salt. Or somewhere else we can't see yet. I'm not going to, worry too much about the other groups, until the yelling starts. Focus on not being the person who could have spotted trouble coming but didn't.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:44 pm »

((Did I go in the wrong direction? I think I'm at a dead end.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:16 pm »

(("There is no wrong direction, grasshopper, only wrong intention."))

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 17, 2018, 08:26:02 pm »

"So this might be a bit late but which are the most common monsters in this area or at least the ones that cause more problems?"

Ask Solde a question then. Wait for orders on what to do.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 18, 2018, 12:42:17 pm »

"Careful! The enemy could be anywhere! Hiding, waiting to ambush us! Be alert at all times!"
Continue foward towards the well and examine the cavern walls and celling, trying to spot any monsters hiding in the darkness. When I'm close enough, examine the well. Something could be hiding inside.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 18, 2018, 01:50:18 pm »

"Careful! The enemy could be anywhere! Hiding, waiting to ambush us! Be alert at all times!"
Continue foward towards the well and examine the cavern walls and celling, trying to spot any monsters hiding in the darkness. When I'm close enough, examine the well. Something could be hiding inside.
"That's what I said Tohil! Now stop acting stupid before we have another 'incident'."
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 18, 2018, 02:40:07 pm »

"Then what's your plan, my friend Dustan? We must bring the fight to them! Let's not allow them to prepare a counterattack and strike before they're ready! If we stay together, nothing can stop us!"

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 18, 2018, 03:15:31 pm »

Continue onward, listening intently for any signs of life.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:41 am »

(Really busy.  Had a job interview.  Which could be a harbinger of busy to come.  You know how it is.  But I'm back for now!)

((Did I go in the wrong direction? I think I'm at a dead end.))

Since you posted again afterward, can I assume you're okay on directions now?  I can elaborate on whatever before I do the update.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:03 am »

((I'm still confused. Am I at a dead end or I'm on the right direction?))

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 19, 2018, 10:48:01 am »

(My notification worked this time!  Woohoo!)

((I'm still confused. Am I at a dead end or I'm on the right direction?))

No one has provided actual instruction (or, say, a map), so you're all just figuring out which way to go.  In this case, your sight limit is right at that well-thing: if the area continues further down there, you can't tell.

So for more reasons than one you'll find out if you're making progress in the next update.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:20 pm »

Previous -- Next

Okay, rolls.

Spoiler: Moving in the dark (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Observation rolls (click to show/hide)

Dwain peers intently at the gloom, effectively spotting for Alyssa, but stays within earshot of the wheelbarrows and joins Solde in conversation.  You ask about strategy.  Solde responds "I rather like the idea of a defensive perimeter; you seem to have that managed."  He makes a mild hand gesture, taking in the group as it has fanned out before him.  He stays put.  It is traditional, after all, to "lead from behind."

John asks about the monsters.  "Definitely some wall tiger problems.  But then, when aren't they a problem?"  He chuckles as if completely removed from the dangers.  "After that, eyewitnesses grew unreliable; too busy running.  Too many places they could be pounced."

As long as you're standing nearby, Solde seems talkative.  About everything except giving instruction.  "These pits aren't as expansive as you might expect," he says.  "Our mining is often done the slow way.  Too costly to do it all with splitter wands, you see.  Without proper ventilation, we must be sure to minimize smoke and fumes from lighting and firepits, and that means regular shipment of glowstone to eat up the budget.  The struggles of doing business!"

Alyssa gets further and further distant, easily finding a way along a smooth wall.  You're probably ready for anything, though still waiting for signs, as the only noises come from behind you.

And in that group, caution takes hold of . . . most.  Gary slows and begins peering at the edges of the lantern-light, ready to jump at shadows.  In light of Tohil's shouting match with Dustan, some of the warriors likewise become hypervigilant.  "There, behind the well!" one says.  "That's where they broke in!  I'm sure they're waiting for us!"

Then somehow, despite distracting himself, Tohil figures it out.

Up!  You spot two of them at least.  They're the mass and shape of a tiger, but covered in green scaly skin.  One is on a slope, but the other is clinging straight to the wall.  How can something that big cling to a wall?  They must have ascended when they heard you approaching to get the drop on you!

They have not reacted yet, but they're sure to react to your reactions.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 19, 2018, 04:42:12 pm »

"Then what's your plan, my friend Dustan? We must bring the fight to them! Let's not allow them to prepare a counterattack and strike before they're ready! If we stay together, nothing can stop us!"
"One, that statement is not entirely true, and two, they are animals, not people! If they think they have the advantage, they will pursue us. If they don't, they'll try to escape.
As for my plan, there is a thing called stealth, and another thing called scouting. we should be trying to do both BEFORE we start screaming battle cries and announcing our presence to everything here, you moron! It is called an ambush.
"
facepalm and scout out the bottom of this pit corridor to the south.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:46:02 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 19, 2018, 07:09:55 pm »

"Alyssa come back! The wall tigers can see in the dark!"

run to Alyssa, you don't know if wall tigers can truly see in the dark but she probably can't Defeat one alone.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 173