Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233428 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 16 - A Friendly Face
« Reply #1920 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:21 am »

"WHAT?! DWAIN'S KILL?!", Gary sputters incredulously. "Have you suffered a concussion down here? I clearly remember myself, overcoming powerful paralysing toxins, stabbing it to death with my glorious pickaxe! Who even is Dwain? Did we ever introduce ourselves? I don't really remember! It's been a rush since we've been down here!"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 15, 2018, 11:33:20 am »

"He killed it by breaking it's back with a well-placed pickaxe swing while you were distracting it. He dealt the killing blow, not you."
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 15, 2018, 11:39:26 am »

"I think an upgrade might be good."

Sell my sword, and all the noted goods in my inventory except one of the glowstone. Buy a Fine Sword.
"Why not do your doctor a favor and get a healknife? You might find it helps you survive longer."

(Mmmaybe.  Caveat emptor.  I included this item for sheer amusement value: it's a double-reference, if no one's gotten it yet.  And I'd love to watch you people play healing roulette.)

I have a knife (12 opal?) as well as the two daggers you give (6 opal each). Can you (re)clarify the practical differences between them?  I'm considering whether to sell the sickle (no butchery, added sharpness in attack, doubtless enhances casual harvesting opportunities), to already take me into 6opal 'profit', but I'll wait upon the above query answered first.

There is no practical difference.  I created some "foreign equivalents" to add flavor: these things come from hoarding wastrels (or ugly mugs) and many have the same stats or other properties as your normal stuff.  Don't even get a different price when selling.

sell the sickle, 1 pick and the the three waterskins then buy three meals

Erm . . . you'll be carrying a lot of spare opal in that case, which weighs a LOT more than the sickle itself.  You would be overburdened and would have to ask other people to carry things.

Does having your equipment made in the town take materials AND money? Does it even work like that,or do i need a smithing job and do it myself?

The people in Rock Bottom have tons of stuff ready and waiting.  However, they depend on exiles like you to bring them raw materials or their system collapses.  So they'll sell you things for cash, they just need to know that you're upholding your side of the social contract.

Or if it needs to be said for clarity: you do get paid for bringing them raw materials as you'd expect.  It's just that doing so unlocks permission to shop for yourself afterward.

And I'm familiar with how long it takes to make weapons and armor.  I am so totally not running a game on that timescale.  If a player were to have been a smith before exile, I'd let you work on stuff in town as a career, but not a serious source of your own equipment.  I've got other mechanics for that.

As I am wearing its head

( . . . I know you people are roleplaying, but I gotta say: only one head?  So outvoted.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 15, 2018, 11:42:12 am »

Double-posting for:

Hey everyone

Welcome back!  Though now I have to kill people to get the counts dropping again.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 15, 2018, 12:09:20 pm »

Aeeeergh, triple-post.  Guess what basic thing I didn't mention?  That's right: selling used goods gets you the RPG-traditional value of half-price only.

So I listed the final values of everything I knew in that post.  See how selling an iron pick would get John 12.5 opal, but it costs 25 opal to buy a new one?  Exactly.  If you look up something from your inventory on their price listings, you have to cut it in half to get your return.

Which matters for these two people:

I have a knife (12 opal?) as well as the two daggers you give (6 opal each). Can you (re)clarify the practical differences between them?

As should be obvious from my previous answer, I totally looked past your question of price.  You'd get 6 opal for each and every one of them.  That's half the purchase price, see?

Sell my sword, and all the noted goods in my inventory except one of the glowstone. Buy a Fine Sword.

I did the math, and I see you're counting on getting too much return from selling a used sword.  You would get 35 opal, half of the purchase price, and therefore be short.  However, if peace is ever made over the rock hydra carcass, a small share of the profit from your participation should cover the rest.  Which would be ideal as it would save so much inventory space!

( . . . Argh, argh, argh.  So sorry to waste everyone's brain on math.  I've edited this into the update.)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: February 15, 2018, 12:16:53 pm »

"How absolutely cowardly! Kill stealing will not be recognized!
But hey, you just proved my point! I'm a great meatshield and an even greater distraction! With a shield, my utility will only increase!
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 15, 2018, 12:17:42 pm »

Dont sell the waterskin,then. All else in the list goes. Is it an empty waterskin?Because i will fill it with ether cola then.
I will get a waterskin from the wheelbarrow and get that filled too. With cola.Remaining money goes to buying splitter wands.

"I WANTED A ROK BUT NO GUD ROK."complains bobo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:20:43 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 15, 2018, 12:34:18 pm »

sell the sickle, 1 pick and the the three waterskins then buy three meals

Erm . . . you'll be carrying a lot of spare opal in that case, which weighs a LOT more than the sickle itself.  You would be overburdened and would have to ask other people to carry things.
[/b]

Good point.
Don't sell the sickle then. Just the extra pick and the three waterskins to pay for the three meals
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:04:00 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »

Sell:
--Damaged tunic (wall tiger leather): 10 opal
--Mining helmet (iron): 3.5 opal
--Waterskin (surface leather): 1 opal
--Tunic (surface fabric): 10 opal
--Dagger (iron): 6 opal

Buy:
Buckler (scaled turkey leather): 7 opal (Do I have to carry this in my hand? If it blocks me from carrying my Lantern, get another Fire Skull instead.)
Sling (scaled turkey leather): 1 opal
5 Fire skulls (glowstone, bug bat bird skull): 4 opal each

((I would roleplay something if I wasn't busy. Just assume he is supporting anything Dwain and Dustan say.))
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:59:44 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 15, 2018, 03:46:21 pm »

(Usually, it's "I intended to modify my old message, but I replied", this time I intended to reply to my old message (then strip out the outermost quote layer) but I started to modify it instead". Caught my error when I could't see the outermost quote layer I was expecting. Not interesting, just thought I might tell you anyway.)

Modified from original, amd added to.

Dwain (Starver)
--Damaged tunic (wall tiger leather): 10 opal
--Waterskin (surface leather or standing jellyfish leather): 2x 1 opal each
--Cultist hood (wall tiger leather): 3.5 opal
--Sickle (iron): 35 opal
--Dagger (iron): 2x 6 opal each
--Etherstone: 1 kg metal bars, 5 opal
Exchanging Damaged Tunic (+10 opal) and the worn Tunic (+20 opal, half the buy-price) for a Fine Tunic (-80 opal), as I might as well add a weakened success to hits. (net: 50 opal in debt)
Sell one waterskin (the empty surface leather one) keep the other (fill at first opportunity) to keep alongside the one you already have me keeping. (49 in debt, rolling total)
Keep the (non-worn) cultist hood. (The one I wear already gives proof of the mission undertaken at the next stop, but the second one might be useful for someone else to benefit from 'bragging rights' as well.)
Sell the sickle (=>14 in debt), both daggers (=>2 in debt), knife now on belt.
Keeping the Etherstone.

I'm good for the 2 opal, once we get to the lockboxes, if somebody will donate. Or swap for priority on the cultist hood I was going to give away later, anyway?

Alternately, as far as the Hydra is concerned, I should think it best to split it. 20 opal per each of our party, leaving 10 free for communal sundries/or bonus to those who we agree were most useful?

(I see that those who attacked the Hydra are Dustan (10 damage, then 5), Louis (fail), Bob (7 dam, then fail), Gary (fail terribly, then 6 dam), Tohil (fail terribly, then normal fail),  Alyssa (3 dam, then fail), John (fail terribly, twice! ), Dwain (fail, then 8 but seven of that being overkill). Maybe sharing according to damages? 15+7+6+3+8=39=~4*10, so (rounding) maybe 4 to Dustan, 2 to Bob, 1 to Gary, 1 to Alyssa and 2 to me (which works out as what I would owe somebody, internally or direct to vendors). Or better proportions after group-dividing a smaller base value than 20 each?)

I must say that I'd rather like to replace that skull I drowned. And a fine skull (or two, and one normal one) would be nice, but I'm putting forward the idea, first. I didn't help directly with the jellyfish, so if you want to counterpropose based on that, I'm all ears (but only one head, and no tentacles) as far as alternate distributions.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:48:16 pm by Starver »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:32 pm »

((If we save the corpses for the city, we will unlock related gear in the shops. Let's keep the carcass for now so later we can have hydra robes for everyone.))
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 15, 2018, 04:29:23 pm »

((That'd be my preference, too, really. Trade 'common' stuff, but retain anything novel and exotic. Doesn't really affect me, so much (I reckon I have vials, full and empty, associated with me but as quest items they're already practically non-tradable except in quest fulfillment terms), but might affect this. However, that numeric breakdown was my suggestion as far as 'claims' go. So long as it lasts that long, I'd be happy to defer the delivery of the corpse, but I could also pass over my (theoretical) 20+2 share in return for the skulls and the trading balance right now, if that were agreeable to someone with the given trading power in their moneybelt or stick-shuffling.  Sorry, but I don't think anybody is going to afford those triple-digit price-tags, here at HH, without making private deals and promises to repay. The stocks at Underground Central are going to be a superset of what we have here, anyway, and presumably not grossly different in value, if at all. The only good reason to de-Hydra ourselves right now is to free up cart-space for the Hydra/worse or loose ores/better that we encounter on the way to Rock Bottom. And of course all those Healthstone/Etherstone Mugs that will inevitably get carved, in transit! Which reminds me...))

Comfort Bob regarding the shortsightedness of the locals, in refusing to be early-adopters to the Ore Mug craze. Gotta carve 'em all! Best to keep Bob calm, for the time being.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:54 pm »

Sell:
. . .
--Tunic (surface fabric): 10 opal
. . .

Buy:
Buckler (scaled turkey leather): 7 opal (Do I have to carry this in my hand? If it blocks me from carrying my Lantern, get another Fire Skull instead.)

Yes, it has to take up your hand.  It's a very, very minor item, and priced to match.  Thus I'll write down the skull instead.

But I repeat my mention earlier that the surface fabric tunic can be turned into usable bandages in an emergency.  If you're going to get some share of the loot, per Dwain (Starver)'s proposed rock hydra division (20 opal), then you can afford the rest.  (Or sell junk from the wheelbarrow.  No one seems to be looking at the other damaged tunics and stuff.)

Alternately, as far as the Hydra is concerned, I should think it best to split it. 20 opal per each of our party, leaving 10 free for . . . (rounding) maybe 4 to Dustan, 2 to Bob, 1 to Gary, 1 to Alyssa and 2 to me (which works out as what I would owe somebody, internally or direct to vendors)

If people are okay with this, then I can do one pass on all the math, post everyone's new goodies, and you can decide how to finish it up.  Like I said earlier, Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir) could use some of the above to pay for a fine sword.

But whether you sell it or keep it, Rautherdir, you'd still need more money.  You might want to sell junk from the wheelbarrow, like damaged cultist apparel, in addition to or instead of selling useful glowstone.

((If we save the corpses for the city, we will unlock related gear in the shops. Let's keep the carcass for now so later we can have hydra robes for everyone.))
((The only good reason to de-Hydra ourselves right now is to free up cart-space))

Up to you, but remember that you still have leathers lying around.  You can sell that carcass (before it rots . . . ) and still unlock the goodies later thanks to bringing in leather from similar beasts.

. . . Looks like we almost have an update's worth of information.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 15, 2018, 07:15:13 pm »

((Well, since the bodies are going to rot, then we should probably sell it along with all the cultist hoods, robes and daggers from the wheelbarrows then equally divide the opal between everyone before we buy anything.))

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:05 pm »

((Well, since the bodies are going to rot, then we should probably sell it along with all the cultist hoods, robes and daggers from the wheelbarrows then equally divide the opal between everyone before we buy anything.))

((well,i would like to know how much money we will end up having then,because i will buy a weapon then maybe.))
I am a Goober.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 173