Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154149 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #705 on: September 04, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »

Bella wakes up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

Well, my first order of business is to learn more about Random McMageGuy. What are his capabilities? What is his name?

Then, head out to find this evil spirit that he's been talking to. Perhaps we can come to an... "agreement".
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 04, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »

Shouldn't Bob Howard's Python capabilities be listen on his character sheet?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #707 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:56 pm »

Nanami will stop casting any sort of magic (except, perhaps, the illusion on Bella, if it doesn't interfere with puissance regen).  Instead, she'll just watch what she can while remaining behind cover.  In particular, she'll look for a good path to retreat along.  Also, she'll watch for anyone moving to flank, and fire spell #1 while calling them out if she does see them.

Finally, check the rock again at some point.  Are the cracks getting worse, or staying the same?

Ben will try and wake up.  He'll remain unmoving and silent if he does.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 05, 2017, 05:33:22 pm »

(How much Puissance do I recover each turn? I used my spells a bunch of times and I am full again  :o)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 06, 2017, 10:13:47 am »

People recover their full puissance about once every minute, or two minutes if it's at zero. You recover about 7 if the turns involve a shootout like the recent ones have.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:20 am »

Shoot 14 bones in the area the bullets are coming from, maybe one will hit something.
Zilch. As far as you can tell. The bullets don't stop, at least.

Nanami will stop casting any sort of magic (except, perhaps, the illusion on Bella, if it doesn't interfere with puissance regen).  Instead, she'll just watch what she can while remaining behind cover.  In particular, she'll look for a good path to retreat along.  Also, she'll watch for anyone moving to flank, and fire spell #1 while calling them out if she does see them.

Finally, check the rock again at some point.  Are the cracks getting worse, or staying the same?

Ben will try and wake up.  He'll remain unmoving and silent if he does.
Nanami can see a route back to the canal that goes behind several mounds of dirt. None of it is visible from the industrial area. Meanwhile, the cracks in the rock are growing, but slowly. They look like they'll damage the structural integrity in about an hour.

Ben comes to groggily, vision swimming a little, and remains still, unnoticed by anyone. He is tied up at present, and would need a few minutes to even start escaping.

Bella wakes up!
Alright, this is a better way to do it. Bella does wake up, right next to the glowing rock. As she starts to squirm, she feels the intruding mental presence again, this time staticy and desperate. She notices her broom lying conveniently by her side.

I will inspect the brown lights, also inspect the weapons
The brown lights dancing above the coffin turn out to be shining gems, activated by some seriously dark magical energy. These things stink of death and roadkill. They are arranged in several concentric circles, but a few seem to be missing.

Of the weapons, about half have been melted or bent out of shape. Of the rest, you count three rusty swords, two halberds, something inhumanly heavy that was either a spear or a ballista bolt, a zweihander made out of what seems to be gold, a curved sword with silver edges, and five prehistoric stone axes.

While you're digging through the bodies that scatter the floor, you notice something odd. The skull of some kind of giant has been caved in, the top of the cranium turned into a jagged, gaping hole, most certainly a mortal blow, likely inflicted by a heavy club. The rest of the giant, however, lies several metres away, the upper body and spine cut apart by some kind of flaming sword, as evidenced by burn marks and sheared edges. The same sword seems to have severed the skull from the neck, judging by the soot at its base. It looks like somebody has had to kill the thing twice.

Bella wakes up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

Well, my first order of business is to learn more about Random McMageGuy. What are his capabilities? What is his name?

Then, head out to find this evil spirit that he's been talking to. Perhaps we can come to an... "agreement".

Your new slave tells you his name is Sen. He has some training with a katana, and has a lot of knowledge about the magical world. He also speaks several lanaguage, knows basic first aid, and has some ability with technology. He is not very talented magically, only knowing a few healing charms.

When you ask about the spirit, he leads you to an abandoned building site on the outskirts of the city, in an almost entirely deserted neighbourhood. But before you enter, he begs you to reconsider, saying that the spirit is very dangerous, and physically (though not magicall) invulnerable, and is likely to attack on sight.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 09, 2017, 12:19:33 pm »

I will take the zweihander then look into the tunnel with the black cable
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »

Shoot bones at the rock until something happens. Damn this thing kind of sucks against non organics.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 09, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »

Guessing that the bag of weapons is still near me? Grab the P90 and roll over to where I'm behind cover with the rock. Think loudly "IF THIS ROCK DOESN'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD I'LL SMASH IT WITH BULLETS." If that doesn't seem to intimidate it, empty the P90's magazine into the rock point-blank.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2017, 03:47:35 pm »

Call my Coven friends (any other PCs that want to come help me out) in for support before going in (wait for them to join me first at a nearby cafe or something first, of course).

Anybody up for some ghost-busting/negotiating?

Enter the building. Tell the spirit that I know that it can hear me, and that I'd like to come to some sort of a non-violent (between us, at least) arrangement. Perhaps we can work together...

Does my demonic leg know any kung-fu moves (or something similar), by any chance? Can I talk to it (and get a response back)? Just wondering.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 10, 2017, 04:27:06 pm »

Guessing that the bag of weapons is still near me? Grab the P90 and roll over to where I'm behind cover with the rock. Think loudly "IF THIS ROCK DOESN'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD I'LL SMASH IT WITH BULLETS." If that doesn't seem to intimidate it, empty the P90's magazine into the rock point-blank.

D:

Nanami will cast a spell to magnify her voice, and shout that the spell she cast will kill the rock in short order if she does not stop it.  Even if she dies, the spell is out of her hands now--if she doesn't specifically counter it, the rock will die (I don't know or care whether this is a lie).

If the rock wants the spell to stop, it should have its minions stop firing immediately, and come out into the courtyard, in full view of Nanami and her team.  Then they can negotiate.

Ben will stay silent and still, listening carefully while he collects himself.  He might test his bindings a bit, if he's clearheaded enough, but will avoid doing anything obvious.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:38 pm »

Back.  Thanks for covering for me, syv.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 17, 2017, 05:21:45 am »

Call my Coven friends (any other PCs that want to come help me out) in for support before going in (wait for them to join me first at a nearby cafe or something first, of course).

Anybody up for some ghost-busting/negotiating?

Enter the building. Tell the spirit that I know that it can hear me, and that I'd like to come to some sort of a non-violent (between us, at least) arrangement. Perhaps we can work together...

Does my demonic leg know any kung-fu moves (or something similar), by any chance? Can I talk to it (and get a response back)? Just wondering.
You buy a coffee in a nearby cafe, and sit around calling people. Vince doesn't seem interested in chasing random spirits, and nobody else responds.

You try a few kicks in the parking lot. The leg lashes out with frightening, almost inhuman speed, and is far stronger and bendier than an octogenarian's limb has any right to be. The first kick slams into the stomach of an imaginary assailant, lifting him off the ground. The second back kick slams through his jaw, jerking his neck back. The third scissor kick goes too close to the wall and smashes a smoke detector into smithereens without setting anything off. Evil leg, right. You clear away anything that looks particularly flammable, just in case.

Anyway, looks like you're going in alone. You stride into the building site after a sharp kick to the gate hinges, Sen scurrying behind you complaining and asking to turn back. You see nothing, but the whistling of the wind and the creaking of the scaffold rises into a voice.

"Why come here, hellssssspawn? Now you dissssturb me, it was not enough to take my sssservant? Perhapssss you seek gold... you will be disssapointed."

Always with the names. Anyway, you break into the spiel about cooperation. The voice seems unamused, and even more crocodile-y.

"I can get ssssservants anywhere. Ssssssurely a witch does not want gold, but power? Besssssidessss, there isss the little matter of Ssssen. Perhapssss we can discussss cooperation after you compensssate for what you sssstole... What do you ssssay? Will you do sssssomething for me?"

You can sense the thing getting angry. You're vaguely aware of an incorporeal presence focused somewhere over to your right, but you take care not to look in that direction.

I will take the zweihander then look into the tunnel with the black cable
The gold zweihander is punishingly heavy, but you rest it over your shoulder, and move a few paces down the tunnel. There are sparse lights, green and gold flames illuminating rough earth walls, coming from clear phials of burning liquid left every dozen metres. The cables continue as the tunnel goes upwards. You notice a lot of dead bugs by the entrance, burrowing ones.

You go down the tunnel about a hundred metres, the floor rising sharply. You press yourself to the side when you reach a basement. In the centre of the room is a massive and complex alchemical apparatus, the cables disappearing into it. Massive lines of power radiate from it, as liquids bubble and fizz, storing incredible amounts of energy. You feel your own meagre magical power flare up in response. There is one door, not locked, leading out the basement.

Shoot bones at the rock until something happens. Damn this thing kind of sucks against non organics.

D:

Nanami will cast a spell to magnify her voice, and shout that the spell she cast will kill the rock in short order if she does not stop it.  Even if she dies, the spell is out of her hands now--if she doesn't specifically counter it, the rock will die (I don't know or care whether this is a lie).

If the rock wants the spell to stop, it should have its minions stop firing immediately, and come out into the courtyard, in full view of Nanami and her team.  Then they can negotiate.

Ben will stay silent and still, listening carefully while he collects himself.  He might test his bindings a bit, if he's clearheaded enough, but will avoid doing anything obvious.
Nanami yells threats at the rock, but intermittent potshots are still being taken at the witches. The voice magnification thing isn't possible with her abilities, yet. Ben tests his restraints, working out that he could probably escape in about a minute.

Zamenis fires more bones at the rock, and is rewarded with what may be a crack. The lights glimmer where he hit, before fading a little.

Bella meanwhile walks the path of maximum resistance, and pulls the P90 out of Ben's sports bag. Not bothering to aim at something right next to her, she squeezes the trigger.

Banal Combat: 4+1

Emptying the entire clip into the rock two feet away, she somehow contrives not to get hit by rebounding bullets, break her arm from the recoil, or shoot herself in the foot. In fact, she manages to hit the largest crack-head on with the first burst of gunfire. The lights on the meteor flare brilliantly, almost blindingly, and then fade as the hard outer layer is torn away and then inner, oddly honeycombed part is shredded by elegant gunfarmer technology.

In a final explosion of harmless light, the rock glows a brilliant blue all over, and then becomes completely inert.

The gunfire stops.

Everybody is aware of a disagreeable mental presence now gone from the edges of their perception.

The mind-control drug wears off, and Ben makes a mental note to invest in a tinfoil helmet.

Everyone present gets a puissant clot. Bella gets three, for the kill.

And a voice only Nanami can hear says, "not terrible."

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 17, 2017, 06:07:37 am »

((Heh, literally suggested to syv to make him a magical tinfoil helmet.))

Get up and head over to the area with the pipes, and try to force the idiot with the gun into submission.  Keep my wand up to shoot him if he tries something stupid.  Use an illusion on myself to try and strike the right balance, getting him to freeze instead of bolting or shooting back.

"Get on the ground, you arsehole, and you'd better start talking, or you'll quite literally be going through hell."

What I want to know is, in order, what "The Light" is, and how to get a sample, if it's a physical substance, and what was going on here.

If the guy bolts or is killed, skip the interrogation.

After that, free Ben and ask him to take all the guns and weapons and get back to Vince's as it'll be bad if the cops find us with them.

In general, do my best to loot whatever's worth taking, from the debris from the rock and anything magic-sight picks up.  I'll leave the guns for the others.  If the cops start coming in, hand my backpack with the loot, my firearm, and my wand to Bella, and ask her to take them to Vince's, as I should be able to escape from the police with the right illusion.

If Bella isn't around for that, throw the backpack with the contraband in the canal, and check in with the river spirit to recover the stuff.

The illusion to evade the cops will be to look like a fairly normal human a few years younger than Nanami, dirtied in the blast, and simply try to walk out of the area.  With any luck they'll just shoo the kid away and I can get back to Vince's.

If I'm less lucky, play up being non-communicative with shock, and try to wrangle a few moments alone, where I can change the illusion to look like an officer and get further away.

If Nanami gets away from all that, she'll just head back to Vince's.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:02:12 am by Devastator »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 17, 2017, 12:54:35 pm »

"And what would this 'something' be?"

After negotiations, head back to Sen's apartment (or Vince's lair, if Sen's apartment is no longer safe/being investigated as a crime scene) and have him teach me what he knows about magic/spirit binding.

Oh, and pluck a hair from Sen's head, tie it into a knot, then burn it to see what ability I get.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:44:21 pm by ATHATH »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 86