Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154104 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #690 on: August 21, 2017, 07:47:47 pm »

Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 22, 2017, 04:04:49 am »

I go back to the monolith
You hide in a phonebooth just outside the monolith. The two golems guarding it haven't moved. From here, you can see stone steps leading down into it. Provided that the golems don't follow you inside, you could probably get in from here.

"I wish to make a life debt sworn to me by a mortal magically binding. To clarify, because I spared his life, I desire for him to serve me to the best of his ability until I die, at which point he will be freed from my service. The contract shall NOT end when he dies or if he becomes a magical creature. What will you require from me in order to do this?"

Yeah, I know that, due to the way that is worded, Random McMageGuy will be freed if I achieve lichdom. Don't worry, it's all part of the plan.
The thing laughs thunderously, blasting you with its disgusting breath. Where you're standing, it's like having a dentist drill through your jaw while a Boeng 747 flies through a meat market.

"A life-binding contract? Few would agree to such a thing unless under duress. Very well, but there's a catch, as I'm sure you're aware. You're dealing with lawyers, after all!"

More bone-vibrating laughter.

"Bring them here. You're making part of someone else almost unconditionally yours, that doesn't seem very fair. But don't worry, we can arrange compensation. We'll just need to make part of YOU unconditionally OURS. Just a small part, don't worry... the tongue, perhaps, an organ, an arm or a leg..."

The thing stops talking, and the tongue leans towards your shoddy wooden leg.

"Yessss... a leg might do very well..."

Stomp around some more, head back to the monks to see if I'm done yet or should go do some more attempted dimensional breaking and entering for pest disposal.
The monks say you're not done. If this line isn't clicking, you could try something else. After all, you don't NEED the monk's information, it just might be useful. And if the Coven finds a power source on its own, so be it.

Can I see the rock from behind my cover?

Count the shots.. how many have there been?  Put an illusion of my head and neck over my hand, extending well beyond the end of my hand.  When that's done, put the illusion out of cover to continue drawing fire.  Keep counting shots.. this pistol only has six shots, Ben took a pistol away from the others, there shouldn't be too many shots left.
Two shots, sry. Four left. And you can see the rock.

You form the illusion, and poke it over the edge of your cover. A volley of bullets passes over your head, but you're unharmed.

Quote from: Egan_BW
"Ben, really? Are you this easy to control? If there's any part of you left in that empty skill, listen. You just inhaled some government mind control gas."

That hits a nerve, and is certainly the right thing to say.  It's worth some contemplation.  Just not while Ben's disarmed and faced with an armed opponent.

Ben still has a grip on the bag, right?  He's going to yank on it and use the momentum to bodyslam into Bella, using his other arm to parry the machete away from getting a good stab into him (a cut is acceptable).  His goal is to get into a scramble where Bella can't use her long weapon, and he has the chance to either draw a weapon or disarm her.  If he gets ahold of a weapon, he'll use it lethally immediately (unless it's the tazer or handcuffs, obviously).

If Bella successfully gets some distance on him (edit: Or, to be clear, if he doesn't have a grip on the bag to begin with), he'll stay crouched with his hands up, just out of reach of Bella's machete.  He'll dive for her if her attention is shifted to anyone/anything else, or if she reaches into the bag.  He'll prolly use this time to consider that bit about the gas.

((Apologies, Egan, but Ben really isn't the talky sort when he's on the losing side.))
"Ben, really? Are you this easy to control? If there's any part of you left in that empty skill, listen. You just inhaled some government mind control gas."

Keep hold of the bag while fighting defensively (staying far out of knife range. Machete's length is my advantage here). If Ben tries to attack me unarmed, strike at the offending limb with the machete. If he gets hold of some weapon, parry the attack and then get on the broom with the weapons. Keep the broom circling so it won't take as much time to get to speed. If someone shoots at us, take out the p90 and suppress them, terrible though my aim may be.

((I would prefer that you didn't shoot into my melee fight. Number one reason is that you might hit me. Number two reason is that even if you're successful, you'll probably do permanent damage with headshots. Knocking someone out with blunt damage is far from harmless. Number three reason is that you'll just antagonize the guy I'm now trying to convince not to fight me. Number four reason is that you might give the guys with guns ideas to shoot at me and not just nanami. :P

Of course, defer to your own judgement. Sometimes in-character mistakes and disagreements can be fun!))
((I just hope it won't get me killed again. ;_;))
"Uhhhhhhhhhh..."
Shoot the old man (Ben?) that is fighting for the bag in the head with a bunch of bones until he is knocked down, as both a test of my wand and trying to help the other witch. (How many bones would I need to knock someone unconscious?) Avoid any attacks using my broom, and attack back with my spell 2.

(You would need three or four delivered at close range to be certain.)

4+2.5 vs 3+1+1

Bella tries to slash at Ben, but the machete is neatly turned aside as he collides with her, momentarily stunning her. He uses this opportunity to grab the taser and shock her into oblivion. She'll have a few burns, but she'll live, unless something kills her in the next five minutes.

3 - 8 - 10 - 17 - 18 - 6 - 20

Zamenis carefully fires a succession of bones, several of which bounce off the combatants harmlessly. On his seventh try, he hits Ben directly in the head, just as the man looks up at him while reaching into the bag. The veteran falls like a sack of potatoes, his mind and body exhausted and weakened by the confrontations. It's pretty clear he's unconscious. Zamenis feels a mental probing from the rock, but his massive magical potential brushes it aside like a spiderweb. Then he dives down the hill as shots ring out around him.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:00 am »

"Oh god I hope that didn't do permanent brain damage.
Can anyone explain me what is happening? Is this guy bad or something? Is that rock shooting at us?"
Restrain the guy I just knocked down (Take his weapons away from him and tie his hands and feet with some bandages and duck tape), and drag him somewhere safe.
Take cover from shoots, try shooting a bone at the rock or something.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:19:07 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:26 am »

"The rock can mind-control people.  I don't know how it works.  Get the old guy out of here, he got whammied."

"If the shooting stops, we talk it out, but right now we're fighting."

Withdraw the illusion-bearing arm, and shoot one more shot of spell #2 at the rock.  Has there been any visible effect from the spells?  After this, stick out the illusion again in a different position.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:00:12 am by Devastator »

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:11 am »

Do the steps look like they are large enough to let a golem throu
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 22, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »

Do the steps look like they are large enough to let a golem throu
As that's a question, I'll answer it and you can have another action. They do not.

Anyway, I'll be away for ten days, and may not update for a bit. This (hopefully) won't be dead, just sleeping.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 22, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »

((Dangit, I'm gone for two weeks starting Sept 1.  ;-p))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 22, 2017, 07:09:14 pm »

"What exactly does making my leg a part of you mean?"

Well, bring Random McMageGuy over and start the ritual, I guess. I'd be fine with trading one or both of my (preserved) legs in exchange for the demon's services.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 23, 2017, 06:14:24 pm »

Spoiler: A long time ago: (click to show/hide)
Let's focus on Python and Java.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:45:23 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:59 am »

Fuck it,i run down the stairs
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:40 am »

And I'm BACK. Sorry about the delay, holidays. Will try to get back to regular updates. Hope people are still with this.

"What exactly does making my leg a part of you mean?"

Well, bring Random McMageGuy over and start the ritual, I guess. I'd be fine with trading one or both of my (preserved) legs in exchange for the demon's services.
You ask the house-demon a question, and immediately regret it as you experience what could only be described as a tornado passing through a fifty-degree celsius rubbish dump. You cling to a lamppost, wondering how come so few dentists go to hell.

"It means we give you a leg and do you a favour. Though it's only fair to tell you, the leg obeys our will over yours. And we'll take one of your legs for ourselves."

You take your prisoner to the lawyer and your leg. The dispirited young man doesn't even question you or try to escape; after few hours inside the cannibal deli that Vince's kitchen has been turned into he's mostly just glad to have left. When you toss the leg into the sinkhole gullet in front of you, the tongue shoots out, wrapping around the man's body. When it recedes, myriad tiny lines of red ink dance on his throat, too small to read. The tongue then turns its attentions to you, and after a warm saliva-bath, you look down to see your leg whole again, encased in a far less scruffy black trouser leg and a shining black leather shoe. The contract complete, the house slowly lowers back onto its foundations, the mouth closing, until it resembles an innocuous old office once again.

You have no trouble walking back to Vince's with your new slave. In fact, you stride along with a new spring in your step. A step that does seem to crush a few more snails and come down on a few more toes than before.

Fuck it,i run down the stairs
You sprint across the street from your position of cover. The two golems' heads swing lugubriously, too slow to track you as you dart between them through the door of the monolith. Their fists slam into the stone stairs behind you as you sprint down the slowly winding passage, and their bulk blocks the daylight behind you. Happily, they can't get in at all, and have to content themselves with grumpily wedging their massive arms through the doorway and waiting for you to leave. Looks like you're trapped for a bit, unless you can find a way out.

The stone staircase leads down, down and down for what feels like several hundred feet. The air is warm and damp, and you sense powerful energies humming beneath your feet. The lighting is nonexistent, and after several bends you have to feel your way in the dark.

After a while, you come out in a spacious square chamber with crude stone walls, lit by harsh industrial floodlights. Carved on the floor in gothic lettering is the pronouncement, "When the dark jewels of the sunken lord Benkazal are returned to his tomb, then shall he rise again". Opposite the staircase is a wide doorway onto a smaller room, in which lies an eight foot obsidian coffin. Large black power cables run from inside the coffin to a small, earthy tunnel up to your right, which curves up and out of sight after a few metres. The floor is littered with dead cockroaches, rusted suits of armour, mostly broken weapons, and skeletons of all descriptions. Dozens of points of brown light dance slowly above the coffin.

Spoiler: A long time ago: (click to show/hide)
Let's focus on Python and Java.
You turn up to an introductory Python class, mostly populated by your kind of people: scruffy, untalkative and focused on arcane tables and diagrams on their various screens. Some are a little less human. After a few minutes of mutually awkward conversation with the scarab headed girl next to you, the teacher strides in, a completely ordinary looking middle aged woman who introduces herself as Beth.

At the start of the class, she brings up a series of hieroglyphs on the projector, each of which is capable of manipulating the physical world to some degree when correctly used in code. After a quick refresher on basic python commands, she hands out tablets, and brings up out a simple program on the board capable of moving a cardboard box a foot to the right. She demonstrates this, running the code and moving the box a foot to the right, as if by magic. Oh wait, it is by magic, you were so excited by the coding you didn't notice. Placing the box on the floor at the front of the lecture room, she hands out slips of paper bearing simple tasks involving adapting her code. Clearly, you're dealing with someone who plans her lessons exhaustively.

You have to write a program that will move the box a metre up, then hold it there for two seconds. You plan carefully before typing anything in, and manage to do it in only two more lines than the original bit of code. You're pretty pleased with yourself. When the teacher begins calling people to the front to test their programs, you're one of the first, and carry it off without a hitch. Most students manage the first time, though some achieve nothing, and one girl, after perfectly executing a tricky midair rotation, sets fire to the box. The teacher immediately reachers for her laptop, and a second later the fire goes out in clouds of steam. There are whoops of appreciation: her fingers moved faster than you could see. The girl also gets a somewhat disappointed cheer as the fails to set fire to anything the second time round; this is clearly a pretty nice learning environment.

By the end of the lesson, you're capable of creating water, moving objects about at reasonable speeds, and making plants grow. The Java class isn't until tomorrow, so you could try and learn more python on your own, or help the Coven find a power source. Or just wander off and do something else, if that's what you're into.

As the teacher takes the tablets back in, she explains that witches need to put a "puissant clot", their basic magical resource, into the machine you want to perform magic with. It can be a PC, laptop, tablet, iphone, raspberry pi even, as long as you can use it. She recommends a balance between processing power/utility and portability.

"The rock can mind-control people.  I don't know how it works.  Get the old guy out of here, he got whammied."

"If the shooting stops, we talk it out, but right now we're fighting."

Withdraw the illusion-bearing arm, and shoot one more shot of spell #2 at the rock.  Has there been any visible effect from the spells?  After this, stick out the illusion again in a different position.
"Oh god I hope that didn't do permanent brain damage.
Can anyone explain me what is happening? Is this guy bad or something? Is that rock shooting at us?"
Restrain the guy I just knocked down (Take his weapons away from him and tie his hands and feet with some bandages and duck tape), and drag him somewhere safe.
Take cover from shoots, try shooting a bone at the rock or something.

Aww.  Wake up and take them out!
Ben remains asleep and is carefully tied up by Zamenis. Nanami fires her crystallisation spell at the rock again, and is rewarded with a scattering of fine cracks across its surface. Shooting a bone at the rock does nothing, as anyone who has ever tried to crack rocks with their forehead would predict.

Bullets spray across the dirt above as the three of you hunker behind dirt piles. Well, Ben more of lies there, but his body hunkers naturally. The shots are coming from the industrial area.

Bob Howard

Puissant fettle - 1
Ritual potency - 1
Runic sight - 1
Banal combat - 0

Practicality - 3

Inventory: £50, 1d20
{Certificate from Belial; Valid for one Potent Medium}

Puissance: 5/5
Puissant Clots: 2
Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:05:02 pm by NJW2000 »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2017, 07:52:14 am »

Shoot 14 bones in the area the bullets are coming from, maybe one will hit something.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2017, 07:55:09 am »

I will inspect the brown lights, also inspect the weapons
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:08:33 pm by PaPaj »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 04, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »

Bella wakes up!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 86