Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153796 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:40 am »

i will stealthly search the area in the shops around me to see if i can find something useful

You find a shop selling firecrackers and all sorts of flammable cleaning equipment, checmicals, that sort of thing. There is also a laundry place, though unless you want to steal a lot of people's clothes, I don't think that'd be useful, and a high-rise block of flats opposite the entrance.

There are cars going both ways fairly fast along the road: might be useful against the golems. Couple of bins and garbage bags in an alley. A few trees near the golems.

What else? You could probably stop a motorcycle and knock someone off, if you wanted a bike.

There's a cafe nearby. A cornershop selling cigarettes and stuff. Not what you want. A hardware store, with ladders, saws, ropes, sharp things, all that.

"Well, I guess I'm off to scare off a monster, Hope I can get back."
Head near the lake, take a general look around.
The "lake" is a smallish pond in a park. It's about a hundred metres from one end to another, and it's pretty much circular. There's a very faint air of magic, but you can't see anything particularly out of the ordinary. There are ducks on the pond, tourists milling around, a dog splashing through the water, nothing odd. There's even a lakeside cafe-hut with benches outside in the sunshine, happy families eating icecream. All very non-evil and usual.

You spot a rich looking elderly woman wandering about in consternation. Several unobtrusive precious metal and diamond rings, green silk hat, artfully cut fascinator, privately tailored dress. Apparently spotting someone who bears themselves as is fitting for one of the gentility, she hastens over to you.

"I am sorry to interrupt you, sir, but my darling Hieronimo," and she motions with a silver-inlay dog lead held in one hand, "I've lost him, poor thing, I can't think where he's got to. He was somewhere in those bushes last - a little creature, very dark and noble in appearance. Really, I'm at my wits end, and if it's no offence, I'd be happy to make it worth your time."

At which point the lady bursts into tears rather histrionically, pointing at the bushes by the lake where she last saw her dog and sobbing. You notice her rather full wallet.

Ben stares distractedly at Bella while Nanami talks, only responding when she asks him about the pistol.  "Hmm?  Oh, yeah, of course.  You keep waving that lightstick around, it's distracting, but it isn't a real weapon.  Take this, but be careful.  Finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, take aim before every shot, and keep it pointed at the ground or sky until you have something better to put holes in.  Here, take a knife too, it's safer."

Hand Nanami the pistol and an athame, then help her with the body.  Cover her with the P90 as she climbs over the fence, then climb after her if it's safe.  Stay low and quiet, only shooting if someone spots us and raises an alarm.  Otherwise, anyone who's in the way or quiet gets a knife--either stabbed or thrown, depending on range.
"Hey Nanami, looks like there's some sort of magical sapient space rock in the dirt-covered area. And It's not being guarded. There's some dudes over in a bunch of confusing machinery though. I bet they thought those two guys was all they needed to protect the find, and everyone else is working on... something."

Touch down for a moment to converse. Then take back off and fly into that jumble of machinery at full speed. Looking for groups of unprepared weak dudes to slice up.
"Okay Ben, lets sneak up and see if they still want to fight.  Bella will distract them, so if they're still game we can take them by suprise.  If they've given it up, we should be able to just take whatever it is Vince wants from here."

"Also, can I have that gun?  I don't have one yet."

Hide the bodies, then climb the fence and head towards the location of the power source.  Take the gun if Ben offers it.

Agility: 4+2+1

Bella swoops down towards the machinery and flies in at low level, weapon ready. Swerving round corners, ducking under pipes and through metal arches, she comes across two men, one clearly a blue collar worker, the other likely a security guard. She makes for them at high speed, unnoticed until the last second.

3+1+1+1vs 5+0.5, 4+1

Bella manages to slice a vivid red line across her opponents' chests, and executes a u-turn in midair before flying back at them. The men dive at once for cover, one ducking under some tubes and coming back up with a length of copper piping, the other simply stepping into a building. Both are impaired but by no means neutralised by her attack.

Nanami meanwhile takes the proffered gun and kicks both the bodies into the murky depths of the canal. She then claws her way over the fence, followed shortly by Ben. Nobody fires at them as they walk over the dirt mounds, although they are very much visible from the industrial area.

Nanami is the first to crest the final dirt mound, and sees a hunk of black rock the size of a van buried in the earth, faint points of green light scattered on its surface. The light seems to be aimed towards her, concentrated around the place closest to where she and Ben are. She sees another man in a yellow safety jacket waving to her from nearby, beckoning her down. She also percieves a probing mental presence, as if something is trying to get at her mind. Apruptly, it withdraws as if from an electric shock, and the air around her turns warm and faintly sulphurous for a moment.

Ben walks behind Nanami, and has not quite gone over the top of the dirt mound.

Large numbers of birds are converging on a spot a few hundred metres above the rock, of all varieties: pigeons, seagulls, crows, even a few birds of prey. They circle up above.

ATHATH, in the interests of actually having the game run, you walk in on Goethe, Oceansouls's character, at the top of a high rise building having followed the string. You're just in time to watch him pass out after an opportunistic katana lunge through the chest. He might live, but not for long.

You face a very freaked out security guard who is currently calling the police and a young man wielding a katana.

Or, if you'd prefer, you can be where crazyabe's character Jimmy is. Seeing as you've been put at a disadvantage by something not your fault.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can I be waitlisted?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The two of you stand in a yard in a suburb of London. A squat, bald man who calls himself Vince regards you critically.

"Alright, you two are getting in on sufferance, seeing as the witches I've got now couldn't find a rat in a sewer. Deal is, we're looking for a power source. Here's a map showing a bunch of places that might have a power source and have got something nasty and magical in them."

He then indicates the locations of each other player on the map, glowing sparks dancing over every fellow witch.

"You can help one of this lot or do yer own thing, I don't care which. Just find a power source."

He then hands you a flier labelled "Weapons of Witchcraft" (see the weapons list in the OP). He also hands you a certificate from the demon Belial, intended for just-starting summoners, which entitles you to a free sample of magical liquid from any creature or being, in case you want to make a chalice to summon lesser demons.

Vince also gives you £50. Due to the vagaries of fate, chance, and Vince taking everything you had when you entered, this is all you have on you right now. Plan accordingly.

Each of you feel the presence of two clots of magic in your brain, balls of condensed energy stuck to the lining of your skull, that can be used to create weapons, magical tools, or just shoved into stuff.

If there are any further questions that need answering me, PM me or ask in the thread.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2017, 11:49:46 am »

Ask what the heck is going on, and attend to OceanSoul's wounds. Who does the string lead to?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 27, 2017, 12:00:02 pm »

I am so sorry for not acting. I literally had no idea how to react or handle the situation, so I kept on telling myself how I'd try and figure out what to do later. The fact that real me couldn't decide what to do in, what, a week, when the IC situation required quick thinking, suggest that the last of action is some sort of appropriate. I'm sorry. Athath, you MIGHT me able to help my injury by painting a bit of flesh over it, but probably not. There's also cursed string in your inventory, which tethered the ghost, so that might help, too. If you're willing to leave me awake or something, if the swordsman isn't so close to me, I try and attack him with the standard bone-or-whatever-slinging spell. I keep the Stoicism rune in mind, though it might not help.

...once again, I'm sorry.

Ninja by ATHATH: I'f I'm awake, "The string led to him, with the katana. Is he even here?...hahh..Worthin..ton....have revenge..for me...and Nōhime...if I don't...survive...."
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 27, 2017, 12:02:27 pm »

Buy or find a mop, a kitchen knife and some tape to attach the knife to the mop. Make it a broom with a clot.
(What should I use to make a wand? I was thinking of human bones or a scalpel, but I dont think getting any of those will be easy)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 27, 2017, 01:56:59 pm »

"For some reason this sounds like a trap... But hey if I go missing my friends will probably come around and tear up the area, Probably make Quite the mess and make any monsters near here wish they'd never lived."
Head for the bushes, Knowing something is probably up.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 27, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »

I will go to the firework shop
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2017, 02:47:52 pm »

Why was my stat bonus at attack only +1? I have 1 banal and 1 melee, shouldn't those add together?

Those two guys are adequately distracted and injured by my attack; zoom off and attack someone else.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2017, 04:13:24 pm »

((Banal and Melee are averaged together.))

Pull out my phone and call Vince, and fill him in on the situation, that we've got a big, intelligent stone here, and there's a lot of heavy equipment set up.. this might be it.  Tell Vince that I'll see if I can negotiate with the stone, but he should come over.

Then try to convince these guys to stand down.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:58:59 pm by Devastator »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2017, 07:27:42 pm »

"Katana man... You are the one that tied the string around the banana tree? Was the pain caused to the spirit intentional?"

If his answer is truthful and "yes"...

Flame claw the security guard before he calls the police. Use my remaining Puissance to use my brush to heal OceanSoul's wounds (by painting flesh over them).

"Teach me your ways."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »

"Katana man... You are the one that tied the string around the banana tree? Was the pain caused to the spirit intentional?"

Flame claw the security guard before he calls the police. Use my remaining Puissance to use my brush to heal OceanSoul's wounds (by painting flesh over them).

"Teach me your ways."
Uh...well...he HAS been noticed as a murderer, so he will have trouble living or otherwise being in the normal world...so that's revenge, I guess. Then I might be OK with all this.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #640 on: July 28, 2017, 08:32:41 pm »

Ben will slide down the hill and quickly approach the man in the vest, one hand holding the P90 on him, the other hand making the universal "Make no sound" symbol over his scowling mouth.  Once close, order him to lay down on his front, then handcuff him and jam something in his mouth.  A sock?  Should stockpile a couple of those next time he goes dumpster diving...

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 29, 2017, 05:11:51 am »

"Sounds like a job for hero." Aisha nods sagely. "While I don't know any, I know someone who does."

First thing to do is to find/buy(cheapest possible) a backpack to carry my future potions in. After she wanders around searching empty bottles and potential ingredients like river water, flower pedals, blades of grass and so on. Also scour backalleys for things I can use to rebuild my alchemy set. Because apparently I lost mine for some reason.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - "Say Yes to Drugs"
« Reply #642 on: August 01, 2017, 01:57:12 pm »

I will go to the firework shop

You go in. There's some pretty serious stuff in here. For about £50, you could probably make some sort of bomb, or at least a very colourful distraction. Or hell, you could just steal stuff, the only other person there is the overweight owner, who you feel pretty confident about taking on in a fight.

Buy or find a mop, a kitchen knife and some tape to attach the knife to the mop. Make it a broom with a clot.
(What should I use to make a wand? I was thinking of human bones or a scalpel, but I dont think getting any of those will be easy)
(Yeah, you'd have to either buy them or steal them... human bones aren't easy to get. Scalpel wouldn't be too hard though. What a wand is will affect its powers. Wands made out of things that are common to the city - say, piping, glass, fence, concrete, whatever - will have more destructive, elemental power, though will be less subtle, with fewer applications other than to destroy stuff.)

You get the mop, knife, and tape for £15. Turning the thing you made into a broom is easy enough: you simply will the clot into it, and suddenly it floats in your hands. It's not up to long trips, but can carry you through the air for fifty metres or so with no trouble.

"Teach me your ways."
I am so sorry for not acting. I literally had no idea how to react or handle the situation, so I kept on telling myself how I'd try and figure out what to do later. The fact that real me couldn't decide what to do in, what, a week, when the IC situation required quick thinking, suggest that the last of action is some sort of appropriate. I'm sorry. Athath, you MIGHT me able to help my injury by painting a bit of flesh over it, but probably not. There's also cursed string in your inventory, which tethered the ghost, so that might help, too. If you're willing to leave me awake or something, if the swordsman isn't so close to me, I try and attack him with the standard bone-or-whatever-slinging spell. I keep the Stoicism rune in mind, though it might not help.

...once again, I'm sorry.

Ninja by ATHATH: I'f I'm awake, "The string led to him, with the katana. Is he even here?...hahh..Worthin..ton....have revenge..for me...and Nōhime...if I don't...survive...."
Eh, no problem really, just thought you lost interest. I acted a bit hastily too, sorry about not talking it over.

Almost as soon as he walks in, Worthington releases his pyromancy, a massive flaming claw forming at the end of his right arm. He slices the guard's head off bloodlessly, the wound sealed at once by the heat, before stamping out the flames on the carpet. The man with the katana steps back, terrified by this display of raw power, and lets his guard down. Worthington bends to heal Goethe, managing to cover up the chest wound with flesh and skin, stopping blood leaking out. There's still a fair bit of fluid dribbling into the man's lungs: internal bleeding will be a problem. But he's not bleeding out just yet.

The young man confesses to intentionally hurting Nohime, on the orders of a vengeful spirit who had it in for a certain branch of Japanese nobility of the Sengoku period.

Aim: 4+1

Goethe drags his wand hand up and fires, giving no warning. He manages to impale the young man through the shoulder with a long, bloodied bone shard, pinning him to the wall. He then slumps back down and focuses on breathing calmly.

Worthington has just concluded his dramatic, "Teach me your ways", and is understandably a little put out, but waits patiently for an answer. The young man merely gurgles and begs for mercy and medical attention, confessing to everything again and claiming that the string trick is simple folk magic. Disappointing. He also offers to take you to the spirit that was after Nohime, though warns that the thing is dangerous, an ethereal being capable of manifesting physically but immune to physical attack.

Well, Goethe needs to get to a hospital or a healer at some point fairly soon, and the same goes for the young man he just kebab'ed. Worthington meanwhile is left standing over a decapitated guard and two groaning wounded.

"Sounds like a job for hero." Aisha nods sagely. "While I don't know any, I know someone who does."

First thing to do is to find/buy(cheapest possible) a backpack to carry my future potions in. After she wanders around searching empty bottles and potential ingredients like river water, flower pedals, blades of grass and so on. Also scour backalleys for things I can use to rebuild my alchemy set. Because apparently I lost mine for some reason.
A dodgy £7 backpack it is. You get five bottles, three cans, six lengths of rubber tubing, two copper pipes, a broken coffee machine, a mostly empty lighter and a teapot. I'm not completely sure of the boundaries of the set "potential ingredients", but you scavenge:

River water, crocuses, rose petals, peonies, blades of grass, stagnant pond water, frogspawn, pig blood, sticks, charcoal, rain water.

Then you get kicked out of the park and meat market. All very frugal and cheaply gotten.

As you wander round London, you see something completely gigantic in the river through the city, a griffon screeching upon the roof of a bank, a ragged man carrying a zweihander about, a human sacrifice going on in a pub, a figure in heavy leather armour sheperding bee swarms through piles of broken electronics, and a man trying to sell you alien artifacts, most of which are both authentic and pointless.

The runes that you know are as follows.
Runes
Intoxication: a rune that can be muttered over an alchemical procedure, bring out the hallucinogenic and mood-altering qualities of the product.
Improvisation: passive, improves lab work/alchemy in unusual conditions, using odd or dubious ingredients or tools.
Griffon Roar: makes something or someone more intimidating and more visible when written.
Biotechnical: passive rune, boost to integrating organics with technology.
Psychologist: a rune letting you see people's motivations, triggers, interests, personalities, etc. more clearly.

"For some reason this sounds like a trap... But hey if I go missing my friends will probably come around and tear up the area, Probably make Quite the mess and make any monsters near here wish they'd never lived."
Head for the bushes, Knowing something is probably up.
You head for the bushes, in which something rather larger than a dog is moving about. After pushing through a hedge, you catch a glimpse of something long and hairy disappearing into nothing, with a barely audible pop. There's definitely a faint tang of magic in the air here, and reality feels a bit worn through here, like other dimensions have been rubbing up against it.

The ground is splattered with ink. Looks like you scared something into its bolt-hole. Naturally, the "old lady" has disappeared. A pool of ink drains into the lake where she stood.

Ben will slide down the hill and quickly approach the man in the vest, one hand holding the P90 on him, the other hand making the universal "Make no sound" symbol over his scowling mouth.  Once close, order him to lay down on his front, then handcuff him and jam something in his mouth.  A sock?  Should stockpile a couple of those next time he goes dumpster diving...
((Banal and Melee are averaged together.))

Pull out my phone and call Vince, and fill him in on the situation, that we've got a big, intelligent stone here, and there's a lot of heavy equipment set up.. this might be it.  Tell Vince that I'll see if I can negotiate with the stone, but he should come over.

Then try to convince these guys to stand down.
Why was my stat bonus at attack only +1? I have 1 banal and 1 melee, shouldn't those add together?

Those two guys are adequately distracted and injured by my attack; zoom off and attack someone else.

Nanami calls Vince, and explains what is going on. Vince isn't going to come over until you're sure the situation is stable. Judging by the war cries coming from Bella's direction, it isn't stable.

Ben covers the unresistant man, and handcuffs him on the earth. He does not object to any of this, until Ben starts stuffing a vest into his mouth.

"Why are you doing this? It is pointless. I thought you wanted to nego-"

The man shrugs, and lies still and unworried. Ben meanwhile feels a bit odd now that he's close to the asteroid: rather woozy, unclear in the head.

Bella feels something directly mentally invasive as she swoops through the air, and percieves a line of thought moving directly between the stone and her brain. Angrily, she reaches a hand out and snaps it. The mental presence withdraws. Bella checks the industrial area, but can find nobody who isn't in cover. A few figures stroll along the raised walkway over a fence at the side of the park, but they're unmagical, and look like members of the public.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 01, 2017, 02:07:23 pm »

Take a quick swoop at the rock so I can kick it for getting in my mind. Don't kick it hard enough to hurt my leg; yes I know it's a hard rock, I'm not trying to damage it. If that doesn't cause something catastrophic, swoop back over to the industrial area and keep them guys suppressed. Try out a roar with this disguise on.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:11:00 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 01, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »

"Okay guys, I think we're mostly done here.  Ben, you can continue disarming these people, but don't gag them, we need to be able to talk."

"Bella, you're on overwatch, make sure people stay down until Ben disarms them, and watch those birds."

"Ron, keep us backed up and stay blanked, it's still trying to use mental attacks, and we may need your help."

Talk to the stone or whoever the stone is talking through.  Say that I asked for surrender.  What that means is we disarm your soldiers and don't get mentally attacked.  In return we don't kill any more of your servants, don't destroy you, and give you an opportunity to negotiate with the boss.  If you literally can't shut off the mental attacks, we can handle the negotiations and disarmament at a safe spot.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:41:26 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 86