Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3199 3200 [3201] 3202 3203 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4246118 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48000 on: March 28, 2022, 05:55:45 pm »

Even if you're actually trying to defend your kid's ears from the scary gays and their eldritch ways, define "Classroom instruction" as "official lesson plans or class curriculum". Bam, now there's no need for teachers to be worried about normal rando kid questions, and people trying to legally enforce their weird hateful bullshit don't have an avenue of abuse.

Personally, I don't want any kind of official sex-ed or.... i dunno, indentity-ed? Included until much, much later. Kids are ridiculously impressionable at that age and I don't really trust a stranger, however well trained as an educator, to have those discussions with my small children. There's too much room for confusion. But if my 6yo old is like yo, why does Katie have two mommies that pick them up after school, I would want ANYONE to just be able to answer "because she has two mommies that take care of her at home".

This law just accomplishes a deliberate climate of fear through legal ambiguity. No excuse for this.

This statement is entirely useless because it's not happening anyways (and teachers would be fired before it became litigable through this law), but you included it, and the context is fundamentally tied to LGBTQIA existence. One has nothing to do with the other, but now it's in the same conversational sphere.

This. It doesn't serve a purpose in protecting anyone. There wasn't any instruction of that variety going on, so the sole result (and purpose) of a such a law is fear and an avenue of ambiguous punishment.

There was a book banning law also signed in Florida.  It is rather insidious in that it requires all the books to be logged and only allows new books after a lengthy review process (which basically means No New Books). It's not just an LGBTQ+ issue, its straight up freezing time.

The fuck? What happens if you get caught with a banned book in Florida, now?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #48001 on: March 28, 2022, 06:06:39 pm »

I would make a joke at prohibiting any mentions of heterosexuality, but then I realized these lawmakers are very likely (I haven’t looked into them yet) also the kind of purists that would happily have more teen pregnancies and unsafe abortions if that meant not having to talk about safe sex during sex ed.

That non-made non-joke aside, it is difficult to react in any other way than a ”what the fuck”.
Actually, no, that is not true. It is difficult to react in any other way as kind to the lawmakers and the GOP at large as a ”what the fuck”.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48002 on: March 28, 2022, 06:17:39 pm »

No, but, avenues of jocularity aside, that's actually the thing. Did they make a law about teaching general sexuality or about sexual orientation. One of them is (hopefully) concerned with not confusing kindergarteners about the facts of life, the other is directly enabling legal consequences under deliberately unclear terms for acknowledging the existence of LGBTQs.

What if my own kid asks me a question and we happen to be on school grounds? Is the CPA coming? Maybe!
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48003 on: March 28, 2022, 06:26:23 pm »

There was a book banning law also signed in Florida.  It is rather insidious in that it requires all the books to be logged and only allows new books after a lengthy review process (which basically means No New Books). It's not just an LGBTQ+ issue, its straight up freezing time.

The fuck? What happens if you get caught with a banned book in Florida, now?
Sorry, its just books in the school & school libraries.  Basically more control of the school districts in the same vein as the "No Gays" Law.  It is linked in the article previously linked on the new law.

Also, note the law bans discussion of sexual orientation.  It doesn't directly address sexual acts, just orientation and gender identity.

It arguably also allows firing of teachers who do not conform, as they will undoubtedly draw the questions that are prohibited by law.
Example: A parent hears that the teacher is biologically different than their preferred pronoun.
Said (asshole) parent then tells their 3rd grade child to ask the teacher about it.
Teacher then tries to explain it to the 3rd grader, and is promptly fired by the school district for breaking the law*.  The school is still sued.
...The school then limits some applicants in the future, if they haven't already decided to do so.

*The firing is illegal. The fucking law is illegal.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48004 on: March 28, 2022, 06:26:59 pm »

the party of free speech and "anti-cancel culture" at work
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48005 on: March 28, 2022, 06:29:42 pm »

...unfortunately, both political parties are guilty of advocating for free speech they like but trying to suppress free speech that they do not.
They are both also hurt by the extremist in their party having access to free speech.  The more moderate members quickly find the media grabbing on to their more radical party members.  Publicity = votes, so the more pragmatic politicians go more radical for the free publicity.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48006 on: March 28, 2022, 07:58:14 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48007 on: March 28, 2022, 08:13:27 pm »

Let me guess...

Republicans: I don't like acknowledging gay and trans people exist.

Democrats: I don't like Nazis calling for genocide.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48008 on: March 28, 2022, 08:15:38 pm »

Let me guess...

Democrats: p-please use my she/her pronouns.  I might get m-mad...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48009 on: March 29, 2022, 12:58:48 pm »

... I gotta say, and I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm pretty sure every school had a librarian that already did that. You can't just walk in and put a book on the library shelf, and now it is a library book. Is there like, an off-site committee that reviews books now according to state regs? Because yeah, that would be shitty.

Also, in that scenario, the teacher has an easy option of telling the child that this isn't an appropriate subject that we can bring up in the classroom. While this protects the teacher from retribution, it insinuates to the child that their teachers (and others) existence is dirty, therefore STILL communicating a specific viewpoint on gender identity while inside the classroom. Which is likely the intent to begin with.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48010 on: March 29, 2022, 01:30:17 pm »

If the kids do not gain an understanding from teachers, books, or parents, then they will get it from overhearing their peer group and nothing good will come from that.

It is how you make social slaves from potentially free individuals.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48011 on: March 29, 2022, 01:38:56 pm »

Let me guess...

Are you actually fucking making fun of Biden's stutter? Do you want me to make fun of your autism?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48012 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:24 pm »

Let me guess...

Are you actually fucking making fun of Biden's stutter? Do you want me to make fun of your autism?

Nobody mentioned Biden.

If anything I'd doubt Biden actually cares much about pronouns, what with being an 80 year old centrist.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48013 on: March 29, 2022, 02:28:52 pm »

I am sorry if you did not imply Biden's stutter. It really came across as you making fun of someone's disability.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48014 on: March 29, 2022, 04:07:27 pm »

In this case the education has to come from home. In fact if people spent more time with their kids and talked honestly about things shitty laws or classes of this kind would not be needed.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 3199 3200 [3201] 3202 3203 ... 3569