Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3197 3198 [3199] 3200 3201 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4247222 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47971 on: March 25, 2022, 08:37:40 am »

Quote from: the article
Virginia Thomas - who goes by Ginni - is a prominent Republican fundraiser. She was formerly associated with the Tea Party wing of the party, a hard-line conservative movement to which Mr Meadows was also affiliated during his time in the House of Representatives.

She has been married to conservative-leaning Justice Clarence Thomas for 35 years, and has insisted her activist work has no influence on her husband's work with the Supreme Court.

In 2010, she made headlines for asking Anita Hill to apologise for accusing Mr Thomas of harassment during his confirmation hearings in 1991.

Clarence Thomas is the longest-serving member of the US Supreme Court, having served since 1991, and is currently in hospital with "flu-like" symptoms.

He is considered extremely influential in American law, but for much of his career rarely spoke or asked questions in court until 2016 when he broke a 10-year silence.

Since the Covid pandemic began, however, Mr Thomas has become more vocal and participates in most oral arguments.

---

The revelation of Ginni Thomas's conspiracy-minded text messages have prompted critics on the left to call for Clarence Thomas to be impeached and removed from his lifetime seat on the Supreme Court.

They point to his lone dissent from the Supreme Court decision ordering the release of White House documents to the congressional committee investigating the 6 January Capitol attack as evidence that he was secretly protecting his wife, who was closely involved in efforts to overturn Donald Trump's election defeat.

Just.... These fuckin' people, man.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47972 on: March 25, 2022, 09:32:23 am »

More crazy shit from that lady.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1507107449710559243

Thomas went on to quote a passage that had circulated on right-wing websites: "Biden crime family & ballot fraud co-conspirators (elected officials...(everyone Republicans hate etc...)) are being arrested & detained for ballot fraud right now & over coming days, & will be living in barges off GITMO to face military tribunals for sedition."

Some Republicans really are living in jackbooted fantasy world. I only hope the mental strain of what they believe vs. reality causes them to snap and evacuate Twitter and the genepool sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 11:26:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47973 on: March 25, 2022, 12:01:58 pm »

You would expect someone married to one of the most senior judges in the land to know how the law works.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47974 on: March 25, 2022, 12:21:42 pm »

I wonder what she puts in her tea party
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #47975 on: March 25, 2022, 01:02:00 pm »

Given that one of the most senior judges in the land didn't start making comments on or asking questions about cases brought before them for TEN WHOLE YEARS, I don't think the judge knows how the law works either, or only took interest in participating when the presidency shifted in 2016 (and then voted in favor of a coup when that presidency ended).

No way would I call inaction any kind of impartiality. But, well, we also got Kavanaugh and Barrett recently, so not like we could count on impartiality anyways.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47976 on: March 25, 2022, 02:02:17 pm »

If there is anyone who hasn't listened to the entire 20+ hours of Ketanji Brown Jackson being questioned by the Senate Judiciary Committee, you should.

And I do mean "listen" and not "watch". Without all the visual crap, the focus, clarity, and completeness of her responses is beautiful.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47977 on: March 25, 2022, 02:15:31 pm »

Hyper-recent news: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/03/05/gender-affirming-healthcare-trans-youth-study/

See references 104 and 105 on this Wikipedia page for PDFs of the studies I specifically referenced: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Healthcare. The same passages clarify that poor mental health tracks strongly with trans experience of societal exclusion, such as difficulty finding work or housing, or being raped or attacked.

On the same topic, here's another fun wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_killed_for_being_transgender. Everyone experiences murder but you can see on the list that the murders of trans people have a much greater likelihood of the corpse being mutilated beyond recognition than for cisgender people.

Finally, an article about the poor health of nonbinary people in particular: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/03/19/non-binary-mental-health-global-study/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47978 on: March 25, 2022, 06:03:42 pm »

At this point I don't know whether trans people are innately more likely to kill themselves, which is technically the claim that keeps getting thrown around.  It's hard to say when so many "friends" and parents and laws are actively pushing for that outcome.

All we know is that the suicide rate drops massively when people are supported and able to take the steps that they need.  Heh, specifically trans people.

I... think that a lot of the people who weaponize the statistic must be *trying* to say that transitioning causes more suicides?  Countless studies, like the one above, have conclusively demonstrated the literal opposite.

It saves lives, and that's why anti-trans legislation is (one of several) life-or-death issues in America.  It's not about feelings, it's about grim statistics.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47979 on: March 25, 2022, 06:31:57 pm »

I... think that a lot of the people who weaponize the statistic must be *trying* to say that transitioning causes more suicides?

I’ve had that conversation, with a person referring to a study over life-time suicide attempts and transitioning. Note: life-time suicide attempts, counting those before any transitioning efforts. The study itself drew the conclusion that people were probably more likely to transition if they felt bad enough before it to make attempts at their own lives.

Now, this was a conversation on the internet with a person I didn’t know, so after me pointing that out the other person didn’t reply. You’ve got to wonder how many of these people are just well-meaning but fooled (if they think transitioning ups the suicides), and how many of them are evil to the core, who only fake their concern and would rather see trans people die than transition. Did this person not read the study’s conclusion (or the study at all) or did they read the study and dismiss it, but still decided to use it as a beating stick?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47980 on: March 25, 2022, 06:36:55 pm »

Oh absolutely, the propaganda is *extreme*.  Like I was sorta saying about the trans athlete "debate".
I've internalized and nodded along with enough of it to not blame anyone for getting swept up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47981 on: March 28, 2022, 05:34:31 am »

US television censored it, but the rest of the world could watch Will Smith slapping Oscar presentor Chris Rock in the face for making fun of his wife's hairloss. He yelled 'keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth', stood up, stepped up on the podium and bitch-slapped Rock.

Rock says he won't press charges, because according to him that would mean sending Smith to prison for at least 6 months.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/cultuur-media/coda-is-grote-verrassing-bij-oscars-maar-het-moment-is-de-klap-van-boze-will-smith~b84c0974/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:37:10 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47982 on: March 28, 2022, 06:59:31 am »

My wife woke me up telling me about it. At first thougth it was a sketch of some sort... and it migth still be, with actors you never now. But Will was laughing at the joke along with everybody else but Jada. Maybe she asked him to stand up for her, he should have taken the mic instead of hitting Rock. Or you know, take it as a stand up routine.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47983 on: March 28, 2022, 09:39:00 am »

His wife has spoken about losing her hair due to a medical condition and said that’s why she keeps her hair so short, which I think is why this happened.

Will Smith won his first Oscar shortly thereafte, but probably will be better remember for the slap.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47984 on: March 28, 2022, 09:45:43 am »

Ugh yeah. I can understand emotions taking the better of you if someone makes an unsensitive joke about your wife's loss of hair if she is losing them because of probably cancer (I don't know of any medical condition barring radiation sickness that would make your hairs fall out other than cancer therapy). If anything, he showed restraint by bitchslapping instead of full-fisting.

Also, it was about time he won an Oscar. He's a damn good actor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:48:10 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3197 3198 [3199] 3200 3201 ... 3569