Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3064 3065 [3066] 3067 3068 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4207217 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45975 on: August 17, 2021, 11:25:27 am »

Are there no solutions that do not involve the demonization of people who are more likely than not just trying to make their own meager way in the world?

Are they doing it by taking advantage of people in a worse situation, like insurance salespeople usually do?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45976 on: August 17, 2021, 11:28:41 am »

Good news for girls in Afghanistan: Taliban says they will allow girls to go to school until they reach adulthood.

Minor detail that still needs to be adressed, girls are considered adult at age 9.
Ya know there’s a thing called lying

Just because martinuzz is woefully ill-informed doesn't preclude him from wilfully lying?  Personally I'd give him the benefit of the doubt here, at least as far as lying goes.  But of course you don't mean neither, just flinging emotional mud and hoping some of it might stick. Ameripol could should be better than that.

As for ignorance, the age of majority is 18 in Afghanistan like most of the rest of the world.  To quote wikipedia (a favourite pastime it seems because who'd accept that someone could personally know these things...  :P):

"Age of majority should not be confused with the age of maturity, age of sexual consent, marriageable age, school-leaving age, drinking age, driving age, voting age, smoking age, gambling age, etc., which each may be independent of and set at a different age from the age of majority."

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #45977 on: August 17, 2021, 11:42:05 am »

I don't TamerVirus was saying martinuzz was lying, I think he was implying the Taliban and its statement.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45978 on: August 17, 2021, 12:09:18 pm »

My guess is that the Taliban's agenda will backslide to whatever their current hidden goals are over time, accelerating once the evac is soldily finished. Same reason they've said they're trying to work to let the evacuation go smoothly, if they push too hard while we're still involved that might be enough to convince us to turn right back around and put boots back on the ground again. But once we're out entirely...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45979 on: August 17, 2021, 12:25:59 pm »

Not lying or making emotional statements. It was from a newspaper article in my Volkskrant that interviewed some people in Afghanistan. I just emphasised the tragedy sarcastically.

What the wiki says the age of adulthood is in Afghanistan is irrelevant. For the Taliban strict interpretation of islam, it can be as young 9 years (or whenever a girl first has her period).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45980 on: August 17, 2021, 01:40:30 pm »

I don't TamerVirus was saying martinuzz was lying, I think he was implying the Taliban and its statement.

Yep, I get that.  Usually some evidence is provided when making an accusation of lying - hence calling it mudslinging.

Not lying or making emotional statements. It was from a newspaper article in my Volkskrant that interviewed some people in Afghanistan. I just emphasised the tragedy sarcastically.

What the wiki says the age of adulthood is in Afghanistan is irrelevant. For the Taliban strict interpretation of islam, it can be as young 9 years (or whenever a girl first has her period).

Persist with the wilful ignorance then, you will just end up making a fool of yourself.  Let me make it clear for you - adulthood and marriagable age are different things (and not just in Afghanistan).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45981 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:13 pm »

Rather than all this noise, here's the wikipedia article on marriageable age in regards to Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age#Islam
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45982 on: August 17, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »

Well excuse me for 'emotional mudslinging' against the Taliban, then.

We're just the peanut gallery anyway
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45983 on: August 17, 2021, 02:22:09 pm »

I mean can't you pick on Trump or Biden, or something (your choice).  ;)  (The GOP webpage touting the incredible achievements of the Gingerbread Man's involvement in Afghanistan has suddenly gone missing over the last day or two, for example.)

If we are going to trade wikipedia pages this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_Afghanistan is probably most pertinent. 

It won't however help anyone crazy enough to think that child brides are impossible because 9-year-old girls magically become adults when they marry (except they don't...).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45984 on: August 17, 2021, 02:39:08 pm »

I appreciate the detailed article. I hadn't looked into any specifics before now.

Despite the establishment of Civil Law, regional customs take precedence over national law, as well as Sharia law. Due to shortcomings in the implementation of the Civil law, child marriages are still prevalent.

While new laws are being introduced progressively, the U.N. Development Programme’s annual Gender Inequality Index still ranks Afghanistan as the sixth worst country for female equality in the world. Statistics from the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission showed that about 60-80% of the total marriages in Afghanistan are forced and/or underage marriage.

So to summarize from the article: it totally, definitely happens, specifically because religious law takes precedence over national law, and also religious extremists just took over the country. The article goes into details about ongoing international efforts to stop the practice. It even goes into detail about statistics for suicides resulting from forced marriage.

Sounds like things are about to get really bad, or at least really worse.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45985 on: August 17, 2021, 03:08:14 pm »

Persist with the wilful ignorance then, you will just end up making a fool of yourself.  Let me make it clear for you - adulthood and marriagable age are different things (and not just in Afghanistan).

Semantics. You really think a 9 or 12 year old girl forced into marriage and rape cares if it is called adulthood or marriable age?

And then to call me ignorant... Geesh.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45986 on: August 17, 2021, 04:08:39 pm »

Good news for girls in Afghanistan: Taliban says they will allow girls to go to school until they reach adulthood.

Minor detail that still needs to be adressed, girls are considered adult at age 9.

Semantics. You really think a 9 or 12 year old girl forced into marriage and rape cares if it is called adulthood or marriable age?

And then to call me ignorant... Geesh.

That's called moving the goalposts.  Since that is a very different point.  If you read any decent article it is clear the girls are married of as minors (that is, as children to make it specially clear for you).

But it is not 'semantics' they are distinct concepts.  While I can agree with the plight of young girls in forced marriage, your initial comment relies strongly, and falsely, on it being specifically adulthood.  So instead of complimenting the Taliban for committing to education for girls you make it out as if it's a useless committment.  It's not - it is valuable for girls to get an education whether they are married or not.

We have yet to see what the marriage laws look like under the restored (I presuming) Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.  Maybe the newer versions will be more 'modern', as a reminder the Dutch laws became more modern in 2015, as they have very much tended to worldwide over the past couple of decades.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45987 on: August 17, 2021, 04:33:07 pm »

The Taliban have little incentive to modernize, unless their new Chinese buddies lean on them really hard or else enough of the hardliners have been killed for the new leadership to be more moderate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45988 on: August 17, 2021, 04:51:21 pm »

What sort of shit bastard thinks that a society should be complemented for letting girls get an education until they can be sold? It's 100% fucking useless to be educated half as much as the rest of the populace and then sold into a life where 90+ percent of your demographic is never employed.

You literally linked an article showing all the ways Martinuzz was correct, and also how it's way, way worse than he initially stated. I didn't even realize how bad it was until you linked that article. And no, we absolutely do have "yet to see" what the laws look like, because they've been in full control of the country before, and all of the current policies and practices as described in the article you linked are a direct representation of that time.

Ignorant, indeed.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45989 on: August 17, 2021, 05:12:28 pm »

This is the part where I'm confused about 'age of majority' being brought up at all when, as per the quoted bit of wikipedia, it has no relation to maturity (adulthood), sexual consent (rape), marriageable age (child brides), school leaving age, etc etc, each individually and independent of the age of majority.

That makes it totally irrelevant, right?

Nobody's saying that they stop being children and therefore stop being child brides because it's presumed the local age of adulthood is nine. It's being said that children may be taken out of school because they become child brides at age nine.
Pages: 1 ... 3064 3065 [3066] 3067 3068 ... 3566